Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the fence about buying a Kindle since they first came out. I used to work in a public library and we had a few RCA eBook devices and they just didn't grab me. But the more I read about the Kindle, I think that this might just work for me. I noticed today that shipping on any orders could be in Feb 09 so I'm wondering if I should hold off until they are in stock again. This would give me more time to ponder, right? But mostly, what are your feelings regarding the rumors of Kindle 2.0 coming out next year? I almost feel like waiting for that, but I do like new gadgets :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, Mom,

Everyone is here is going to tell you how much they love their Kindle. This is a pretty passionate group.

If you go to the "Let's talk Kindle" board you'll see two threads that might interest you: one with a link to a blog that has rumors about version 2 (I don't believe it) and another with a side-by-side look at the newest version of the Sony reader compared to the Kindle.

Yes, Kindles are back ordered til February at this time. If you order now, you'll assure yourself of a place in line. If you wait, you might get one right away or you still might have to wait a few months. I feel like this is an instant replay of last year. Kindles went of out stock in November, a few shipped in February, and then they began to trickle in in April. They weren't reliably in stock with fast shipping until mid-May.

Personally, I don't see any need to physical changes to the device (which is why I don't believe the blog rumors). Some software fixes would be nice -- folders for organizing, mostly. But all in all, it's pretty close to perfect. I am glad I bought mine last April and have been enjoying it all this time.

Leslie

B

·
0 Posts
Leslie said:
Personally, I don't see any need to physical changes to the device (which is why I don't believe the blog rumors).
*accidentally turns page*

;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
As Leslie eluded... Order Now!

If you change your mind (or v.2 rumors come true) before it is shipped, you should be able to cancel.  But ordering now will get you in line.

I've had my Kindle less than a day now, but already love it (except the accidental page turns).  I think it's easier to read and easier on the eyes than the usual paper backs.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And Amazon couldn't charge me until the Kindle ships....birthday is early March....

I was interested in the new layout because I had heard of the accidental page turns :)... Have there ever been software "updates" or is the Kindle still too new? I've read enough about the Sony reader to know that I don't really want that one...

B

·
0 Posts
The thing is, there is no downside to ordering now.  You won't get charged until it ships, and it gets you in line.  By the time your Kindle is ready to ship, there should be more reliable news about the release date of 2.0, and you can always cancel your order with no penalty if you decide later to wait on 2.0.

And I'm one of those who can't pick my Kindle up without turning the page.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Software updates: people have version 1.0.4, 1.0.8, and 1.1.1. but there are no differences between the versions that anyone can discern. There is a button (grayed out now on my Kindle) that says "update" and I imagine if an update were to be pushed to the device, that would become live and clickable.

The accidental page turn issue is way over discussed, IMHO. People get used to it or put it in a cover which seems to solve the problem.

My personal opinion is that Amazon is focusing on the international market before they turn their attention to version 2. Supposedly the Kindle was going to debut at the Frankfurt book fair. That got pushed back to 2009 because they have so many different cellphone carriers in Europe that they need to make deals with.

As others have said, you won't be charged til the unit is ready to ship.

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Mom, nice to have you with us. I love my Kindle just the way it is! We are passionate about reading and our Kindles. If it were me I would order but it is a personal decision. Hope to read more posts from you. Let us know what you decide.

Linda

·
Registered
385 Posts
Leslie said:
The accidental page turn issue is way over discussed, IMHO. People get used to it or put it in a cover which seems to solve the problem.
It seems to me it's discussed as often as it is because it is an issue that continues to annoy some of us. Perhaps because you don't have a problem accidentally turning pages you feel it's "over" discussed. What's your secret? Let us in on it, pls! :) You've prolly posted elsewhere, but I missed it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Cat said:
It seems to me it's discussed as often as it is because it is an issue that continues to annoy some of us. Perhaps because you don't have a problem accidentally turning pages you feel it's "over" discussed. What's your secret? Let us in on it, pls! :) You've prolly posted elsewhere, but I missed it.
I hold it with either hand, my thumb on the keyboard. I'll admit that when I first got Jinx, I used to hit the button at the wrong time but I'm so used to holding it the way I do now that it's no longer an issue for me :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Cat said:
1. I read my Kindle in a cover (I have an Oberon but before this a M-edge and at the beginning, I used the original cover). Using a cover gives me a "ledge" for holding so it keeps my fingers out of the way of the page turning buttons.

2. Keep in mind that the keyboard is not active while reading, so I find that's a good place to put my thumbs and again, keep them out of the way of the page turning buttons.

3. I never, ever put my Kindle down without putting it to sleep (Alt-Aa). It takes a split second. From everything I have read (and this is only my anecdotal impressions, not empirical evidence) it seems that the accidental page turning happens when putting down/picking up the Kindle, not during reading.

For the first few days I owned my Kindle, I was very conscious of the page turning issue since I had read so many complaints. So I focused on training my mind/brain to do the above and now it is second nature. I don't even think about it anymore.

Showing my Kindle to someone else (since others tend to go willy nilly pushing buttons): I always put it down on a flat surface so we can look at it together. I demonstrate by pushing the buttons, then get into a document (usually the New York Times) and let them play around with navigation. They are not going to lose my place in the paper--especially one I read days ago.

That's what I do, hope there are a few hints that are useful for you!

L

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thx :). When I'm settled in and reading, I hardly ever hit the next page button. But if I'm moving around/adjusting my position, or getting up for a break, or answering the phone, or something else that takes my concentration off the book and Skinderella, I can not only press it accidentally one time, but I find I'm several pages away from the page where I stopped.
I try to remember to put the screensaver on, or at least go to the home page, but t hat doesn't always happen.

lol, I see you've replied, L. I use the cover, that does make it better, but I guess it's a matter of training myself better when I'm moving or distracted.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'll only mention the accidental button clicks one more time...

If the button clicks are the most we have to complain about, we must all be pretty happy with our Kindles  :)

B

·
0 Posts
Dori said:
...and what happens if you drop your DTB.
Not a problem for me. I have a near eidetic memory. I can "see" where I was in the book within a few pages. *shrug*

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would be seriously shocked if K2.0 came out earlier than Dec 2009.  They will probably use this year to increase production and get a version for Europe/Asia.  Plus, work over the publishers until they cry uncle.  My husband and his buddies have worked in the tech industry here in Silicon Valley, and believe me, changing the hardware (even a teeeeny little bit) is time-consuming and waaaay expensive.  They haven't even done a firmware update yet!  (The pic that's going around the nets looks like a leaked K1.0 prototype to me, personally.)

'Course, one of my coworkers has a husband who works on the Kindle.  Maybe I could hit her up for the 411...   ;D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts