Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. I'm a new author. Everyone one keeps telling me how useful this message board is so I'm finally joining. I'm about to release my first book, The Seed of Wonder. Here is the short description.

The isolated gnomes of McClelland Garden thought Rinn was long dead, but one day the adventurer returns with disturbing news-the world is much bigger than previously imagined and gnomes everywhere are turning to stone. To stop magic from seeping away, they must go on a dangerous adventure to find The Seed of Wonder, and present it to the thing they fear most-a human. Meanwhile a neglected boy, who many assume to be brain damaged, begins to see magical creatures in his backyard. Those creatures ask him to go on a journey and receive a gift. To all appearances this is a simple walk in the woods, but the boy learns there is more to the world than can be seen with the eye.

I've been learning as I go, trying to follow the (sometimes contradicting) marketing advice from self-publishing websites. So far I have a website swansonfiction.com, with a mailchimp account. I have about 15 beta-readers working on my 2nd draft and an editor.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not to release only on Kindle Select or put my book everywhere.

I designed the cover myself. I'm an illustrator by day. I'd love to get opinions on what I have so far from experienced self-published fiction authors.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Congrats, Shaun!  :)

I think you are off to a GREAT start! Love the cover of the book and the banner on your website. Very nice.  :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
carinasanfey said:
It sounds like you're off to a great start, and your website looks amazing, BUT the one thing I think you should consider is the title of your book. I think it's important, particularly in fantasy, to take into account the face that the term you're using is already in use in a popular canon. Google 'the seed of wonder' and you'll get pages and pages of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which means anyone trying to google your book will not come across anything related to you.

Just my 2c.
Agree. I like your cover design, blurb, website, etc, and it sounds like your going to avoid just about every mistake I made along the way. lol. But I agree with the above. You may want to change your title to avoid all the buffy stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I never even considered the title as a potential problem. I never watched Buffy and never thought to google my title.

This could be problematic for me since "planting" The Seed is a major plot point. I'll really have to think this over. Glad I posted before I committed!  Thank you all. 

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks really good Shaun.

My 2c on the Select vs everywhere - go with Select for the first 90 days.

Given this is your first book, it gives you a chance to get used to self-pubbing and how it works. It's easier to play with pricing and promos when you only have to worry about a single platform, instead of getting them all lined up. You should get a few borrows out of it too. If you want to then go wider - you only have to wait 90 days, which goes by in a flash.

Personally, I would hold off going wide until you've got book 2 or 3 out - then permafree book 1 by going wide.

Hope that helps, and best of luck  :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after a lot of thought I've changed the name to The Spark of Wonder. I made my website and FB page public today. My 3rd draft is with the editor now. I hope to publish soon!

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.

http://swansonfiction.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts