Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kingman, Arizona, that is :)

I wrote my first story when I was six years old but I've lived in my own fantasy world my entire life. I realized I might have something people would want to read when I and my (now) husband began writing, and then posting, Everquest fanfiction together in the early 2000′s. In addition to acquainting me with the love of my life, those stories also reintroduced me to the joys of writing and being read.

In 2007, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) "forced" me to come up with my own world as a part of their challenge (one of their rules states that your novel must be all original work, not the fan fiction I'd done in the past). Not only did my imagination rise to the occasion, the world itself sprang forth as if it'd been waiting in my head all along. My gaming experience (MMOs and tabletop both) of fleshing out character histories gave me scores of "people" so vivid I could speak with them. And my bachelor's degree in geology helped me develop a land I could walk from coast to coast.

Currently, I have two short stories in a fantasy anthology called Birth of a Unicorn and Other Stories which was recently put onto Kindle. I love fantasy, I love writing, and I love my own Kindle, so this was a like a dream come true.

I've perused the site somewhat before posting...and I look forward to learning more about you all and reading all the stories I can, too :D

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Welcome to the KB

Have fun exploring the site and Good Luck with your projects

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hi, and welcome to KB.  There's really nothing better than challenging yourself and finding you not only can meet the challenge, you can love it along the way.  Good luck with your writing.

Linda

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! NaNo was an amazing experience and taught me a lot. I work a 40-hour a week day job and I still blew it out of the water on my second try (first try I just barely made it ;)). I'm extremely structured and a horrid perfectionist so learning to let myself go and just...write...was just what I needed.

In addition to the short stories, I do have a 5-book series in the works. First novel is done and all prettied up a million times over (and I still find places I want to rewrite...). Second novel is still in rough draft form...and I wouldn't ask the dog to look at my rough drafts. The third is about half done. I attended the Las Vegas Writers' Conference last April and I highly recommend it to anyone with the means to attend. With just my elevator speech and synopsis, I found a publisher who asked for my (first book's) sample chapters. Here's hoping it leads to more!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dara England said:
Welcome to KB. Your book cover is lovely. :)
Thank you! The illustrator is actually a gal I met online a few years back and I was able to nudge the publisher (who likes using freelance artists) into checking out her website once the time came. The publisher fell in love with her art. The rest was history :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts