Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to snag a refurbished Kindle last night, after watching the refurb. page for days - it should be here Monday or Tuesday and I'm excited!  I found this forum while searching all things Kindle and thought I would hang out for a bit or maybe longer.

I suggested to my wife that the Kindle was at the top of my Christmas list, but she told me should couldn't get one in time; didn't think I needed something that would encourage me to spend more money on books; etc, etc.  This means one of two things:  she's not kidding and I shouldn't expect a Kindle under the tree or she has one for me and is fooling around with me - both scenarios are likely.  So, I decided to take no chance on being Kindle-less much longer and took the plunge on a refurbished unit.  I guess I can return it or re-sell it if there is indeed one under the tree.

I'm an avid reader and have followed the e-book saga for many years.  Several years ago, probably six or seven, I test drove an e-reader for a number of months - I can't recall the name or manufacturer.  I was interested in utilizing the reader as a tool for storing documents that could be easily carried and accessed by field technicians in a natural gas production operation that I managed.  I could see the utility in people having job procedures, repair manuals, safety and environmental procedures, process flow diagrams, maps, inventory lists, etc, in a device that was simple to use, not as costly or fragile as a laptop, readable in outdoor situations and so on.  Unfortunately, the device I was testing didn't fit the bill for a number of reasons.  It seemed we were on the bleeding edge of the technology.

The Kindle seems to be the answer, but I'm retired from that career and on to my next vocation and so the device will only be used for my personal reading habits.

My current calling is as a part time pastor in a small town church and for a few more months, the chairperson of a disaster recovery organization helping individuals recover from a devastating tornado that destroyed their town 18 months ago.  All that keeps me busy in my "retirement" - but who retires these days anyway?  I hope to have more reading time after the disaster recovery work winds down in March or so and who knows, I may even write a book about the whole experience.  Hopefully by the time I have some time I'll have the Kindle all figured out and a nice backlog of books to devour. 

My other obsessions are enjoying family - my wife and I have two grown children and one nearly four year old grand daughter with a grand son on the way at the end of January - and fountain pen accumulation and restoration, which I suppose leaves me at both ends of the technological continuum.  Oh well, a mild case of techno-schizophrenia isn't too bad a thing.

Anyway... I'm almost patiently waiting for the Kindle to arrive.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Welcome to the Kindleboards!! I think you will be happy with your kindle. Its going to put your other ebook experiences to shame...It did for me (used my first ebook at 12-13). I'm just getting back into my love for fountain pens. I used to use them when I lived overseas, but its hard to find a decent one in the US. I am looking to buy a Lamy Safari fountain pen for my journal writing. Any recommendations for decent fountain pens for a college student on a budget?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Kelly! Thanks for the great introduction. We have bookklubs beginning in Jan., free and bargain books all in The Book Corner, check it out. As you wait almost patiently  ;) for your Kindle browse Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting.

Linda

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome to the boards from a newby and also future Kindle owner! 

If your wife is playing you and really did purchase a Kindle for Christmas you may have to keep the refurbished model for her.  I bet she would love it!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Kelly--

Congrats on the refurb and welcome to Kindleboards!  We love being on Kindlewatch with a prospective Kindler!

I've got techno schizophrenia too (T-S syndrome? LOL), as a quilter and Kindler...  although technology is creeping into quilting.  Actually it's long past the creeping stage.  I wonder if there's a technology change in fountain pens?  It always fascinates me that people keep inventing new wrinkles on stuff!

Be sure to check out the Book Corner where we have book recommendations and Book Clubs starting in January!

Betsy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vegas_Asian said:
I'm just getting back into my love for fountain pens. I used to use them when I lived overseas, but its hard to find a decent one in the US. I am looking to buy a Lamy Safari fountain pen for my journal writing. Any recommendations for decent fountain pens for a college student on a budget?
I don't have a Safari, but I do have a Lamy 2000 and Lamy has a great reputation. The Safari is highly regarded by most that have them as dependable, durable, and great writing. They come in lots of neat colors too! I would also recommend the Pelikan M200 - it's a bit higher in price but it is a true piston filler that holds a ton of ink. The 200 is extremely reliable and tough to beat for a "better" starter pen. Take a look at www.oscarbraunpens.com for some of the best prices around (no affiliation - just a satisfied customer). Beware the fountain pen addiction!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tessa said:
Hi Kelly welcome glad your here;

They still make fountain pens? Mine always leaked.
Yea, they still make them - in all sorts of styles, shapes, colors, and price ranges. I'm primarily a vintage pen accumulator and I restore my own, so they theoretically don't leak. That being said, you can always spot a fountain pen user by the ink on the fingers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
I wonder if there's a technology change in fountain pens? It always fascinates me that people keep inventing new wrinkles on stuff!

Betsy
There really hasn't been any dramatic fundamental technology change in fountain pens in the last forty years or so. Some of the plastics used in barrel and cap construction have changed, the converter filling system - really a self-filling cartridge substitute, and better alloys for steel nibs have been about it. But that's what most of us like about the fountain pen, it's a well proven "old" technology that's stood the test of a hundred years or so.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking at the site now. All I have to do I get a checkbook or money order. There's only one store dedicated to pens in my area (Paradise Pen) and their prices are a bit high. Then their location is in one of the most busiest and tourists filled areas...so its takes an awful lot of effort to get down there.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Kelly -

What a welcome addition to the Kindleboards you are!  I really enjoyed your intro story.

You are certainly busy for being "retired"  :D

Glad to have you here & look forward to your posts,

Marci

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Kelly G I think we were dealing with the same ereader six-seven years ago. Was it kinda bulky with a touch screen? I used to check it out from the base library in middle school.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vegas_Asian said:
Kelly G I think we were dealing with the same ereader six-seven years ago. Was it kinda bulky with a touch screen? I used to check it out from the base library in middle school.
May have been the same. This one was ~letter sized and an inch thick or so. It would have been a decent reader except for the problems with the computer interface and digitizing content. The world is a much better place these days - at least from a technological perspective.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I think it also had a backlight...? I've been lusting for my own ereader since holding that one. I'm also glad things have advance in the ereader community. I don't mind going shopping with the family as much as I used to....as long as they let me be with my kindle in whatever dark-ish corner I find in the store

1 - 17 of 17 Posts