Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know the kindle isn't supposed to work here but the one good thing about being married to an American is I was able to get a kindle...lol. Poor him, he gets stuck with our snow and cold. I've had mine for almost 6 months now and love, love, love it. I don't know if most of you in the US realize but here in Canada the average hardcover can cost from $10-20 more then what you would pay in the US. I bought the kindle more to save money then anything. I'm a huge reader and was spending a small fortune on books that once I read them I would just pass on to someone else. I've been downloading from various sites and have had great fun re-reading some of my favorites and others that I've always wanted to read but would never pay for, such as Gone With The Wind.
Now if someone can just tell me the difference between secured mobipocket and unsecured and does any of it work with kindle I will be totally set. I can't wait to get to read all of your great posts. I have a few sites that I'm a little addicted too (facebook, labradorsonline.com and cnn) and I can see this one becoming part of my morning ritual.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Thanks Madrye for coming over and making the introduction! I think there are answers posted to your question now.
Glad to have you here with us!  :)

Linda

·
Registered
869 Posts
Madry -

Welcome aboard!  Glad to have you here  :)

The Kindle was made for people like you - voracious readers!  What genres do you enjoy reading?  And do you own a Lab?  They are so friendly (and sometimes goofy)  ;D

Cheers,

Marci

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will read just about anything minus the whole romance sector. I just finished Testimony and really enjoyed it and at the same time finished the whole series of The Southern Vampire. I'm excited to read the next "Odd Thomas" book that I think comes out this year. We were on vacation for 8 days in the Domenican and I think that's when I fully appreciated my kindle. I didn't have a suitcase of books for once and while there I finished 13 books. Not sure how much I saw my kids but the kindle and I have a great tan.
We actually have 2 labs and a mutt. Labs are great but sometimes I think they take more energy then 10 2 year olds. Our puppy, who's now 14 months, causes a lot of sleepless nights, another way the kindle has come in handy. Thank you all for your warm welcome.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Madrye - Glad to have you here.  Where are you from in Canada?  I live in Mexico and we have lots and lots of folks from all over Canada that come down during the winter months.  Several of them live close enough to the border that they are considering getting kindles through friends or some other means LOL  Some of the DTBs they bring down are a bit different from those that are available in the US and I enjoy those, but now I can get them on the kindle!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Madryre, welcome! Glad to have you here.

Secured mobipocket books won't work on your Kindle. Unsecured mobi format will. I think this came up on another thread, too (about Fictionwise, right?). You can get multi-format books that will work on your Kindle from ficitionwise, but the secure books won't.

L

·
Registered
31 Posts
Madrye, you have joined a warm caring group here at Kindleboards!  They really care about you.  I sort of feel like you are sun deprived right now in Canada.  I'm going by what my sister says it is like in Bellingham.  The Kindle will help and these folks will certainly try to help you answer any of your Kindle questions.  Welcome!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
madrye said:
I know, I know the kindle isn't supposed to work here but the one good thing about being married to an American is I was able to get a kindle...lol. Poor him, he gets stuck with our snow and cold.
Welcome Aboard, MADRYE...

Glad you found us here in the USofA and on Kindleboards. Yikies, that is a high price for books, the Kindle will help with that cost.
And a husband to suffer the cold for you - it doesn't get any better than that, does it, eh?

Nice to meet you,

-sailor *clicky*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts