Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all from Christchurch, New Zealand

I love reading and use the library often. However with the ongoing disruption and destruction my city has been experiencing for the past 9 months with three big earthquakes (7.1, 6.3 & 6.3) and 7000+ aftershocks, life is not what it was here for its 400,000 residents.  Most of the libraries are closed or have been converted into office space for city council staff since their building is in the red zone in the CBD.  Its just not as easy as it was to get hold of a decent book to read.

The other factor in motivating me to purchase my Kindle is that there is such restricted entertainment options in the city currently, and will be for the foreseeable future (we have no central city left, its cordoned off and will remain so until the 1000 badly damaged commercial buildings are demolished). In addition, the stress of the past 9 months is continual and reinforced with every aftershock so its important to do things, anything that helps manage the anxiety.

So I got to thinking, what do I enjoy for entertainment/stress relief?  It dawned on me how much I love the escapism of a good book and how important reading is to me. With libraries not easily accessible, and my need for escapism, I thought "hey why dont I just buy a Kindle" It would make it so easy to get my good book fix. Sure its not as cheap as the library (free!) BUT with a huge range of titles instantly available at my fingertips, the convenience cant be beat, especially in my current circumstances.  So here I am.

Just finished my first book this morning, Water for Elephants. I had forgotten how much I enjoy reading for pleasure. Now which book to download next??..... lol

Ripeka

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Welcome and sorry for the hardships faced in your city.  Hope things get back to normal as quickly as possible.  i was in Oakland for their big quake and then in Miami for their last big hurricane.  Public services get exhausted very quickly.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Oh my goodness... this was the most interesting "introduction" titles I've ever read here.  I hope you enjoy it here and feel welcome, but most of all, I hope you are safe through the earthquakes!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Welcome from a Canadian author of suspense novels.  Great to meet you.  I'm so sorry for all the terrible hardships your country and its people have endured.  I wish you only peace and great reading.  I too read Water for Elephant and it was wonderful.  I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

All the best,
Joan

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Welcome to the KB

I am sorry it took earthquakes to bring you into the Kindle World, but glad you are enjoying it.  Supposedly the name "Kindle" was inspired by the hope of "rekindling" the reading experience......

·
Registered
424 Posts
Welcome! I'm so sorry about the earthquakes in Christchurch and your beautiful city. Hope you find some peace and rest in reading on your Kindle. Water For Elephants was a great read. I loved Cutting for Stone, as well.

~Rachel

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Another Kiwi!  Hello from not-actually-that-sunny-right-now Nelson, and congratulations on being the fourth person in New Zealand to own a Kindle :)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm glad that reading can continue, even with all the difficulties your city has experienced.  Glad that you bought your kindle and made it here.  Hope things get better for NZ soon.  Welcome to the Kindle boards!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hello, Ripeka.
A big, warm, welcome aboard. We catch all the British news over here in Spain, and we've seen some of the damage you've suffered - But there have been no updates since the big shocks. I hadn't realised how many after-shocks you had. They must be terrifying too.

Good luck for the future, and may your stay be long and fruitful.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Superb to see you remain positive - welcome

·
Registered
540 Posts
I hope you and yours are safe, feeling the earth move beneath you at that rate is one of the most bizarre things you'll experience. As an author, of course I would love for the entire world to buy my books, but getting every book you'd like to read would probably require a second job to feed that habit! In the U.S. some libraries offer digital lending, check to see if there is something similar in your area... There are certainly a lot of free books out there and Smashwords is a great source. I also believe there is a lending section in the forum.

Welcome to the Boards. You'll find a pretty cool group of folks here. Have fun filling your Kindle with all sorts of interesting stuff!

·
Registered
338 Posts
There are so many terrible events in the world and New Zealanders know what it is like to suffer from them.

I really admire your approach to such a disaster.  Resiliance is such a powerful thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts