Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone--

Just received my Kindle last Wednesday. I've been looking at them for quite some time. Then when I saw the Oprah discount and I had a recent bonus from work for completing some training, the time was right. I am totally in love with it. Just found out from other posts I need to determine a name for her. After a fairly decent Fall we have gotten very cold here in central IL the last couple of days and I'm reminded, even though I hate the winters here, it's a time when I catch up on reading and movies, etc. I was an avid reader as a kid and as I've gotten older with a heavy work schedule it's become increasingly hard to find time to read. I love the fact I'll be able to take everything with me and read whenever I have a few minutes. Some major health problems the past few years has left me spending way too much time in doctor's office waiting rooms. No more shuffling through old magazines in the waiting rooms! Hurray!

I'm 57, work full-time, and I like a variety of things in books. I do like true crime and detective stories. One of my favorite writers is Ann Rule who is a true crime writer.

I so have a sort of funny story. As I was approaching 50 I was lamenting that I hadn't spent much time reading in the past few years. Most of the books I did read were Ann Rule books which can be kind of gruesome. So, I decided to set a goal for myself. I decided I wanted to read all of the Oprah books before I was 50. I thought it would really expand my reading reportoire. At that time Oprah was adding about a new book a month, and she already had about 50 books on her list that I would need to catch up with. I started with a vengeance, purchasing some, borrowing some, scouring garage sales and reading every spare moment. After a while I realized it was pretty much impossible that I would ever catch up and still hold down a job, but I still got a lot done, re-"kindled" (get it?) my love for reading and really broadened my taste in reading material. Seven years later I still haven't read them all, but it's still on my bucket list. Maybe this Kindle will help me achieve that goal.

Looking forward to getting acquainted with everyone.

Sally

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Welcome! It's pretty cold up here in Northern IL too.

Ann Rule is one of my favorite true crime writers as well; a friend of mine let me borrow one of her books about twenty years ago and I was hooked.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Welcome Sally!!  I love that you mentioned your bucket list - loved that movie and Chris and I have joked about doing our own bucket lists many times.  :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hiya Sally...welcome!! I'm a big fan of true crime, maybe it's my morbid curiosity ;-p I too have a sort of bucket list but I've been calling it my "things to do before I die", though I suppose bucket list would be a lot shorter...lol. One of my things was crossed off about four years ago....

<- take a look at my avatar and you'll see what it was :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
chynared21 said:
Hiya Sally...welcome!! I'm a big fan of true crime, maybe it's my morbid curiosity ;-p I too have a sort of bucket list but I've been calling it my "things to do before I die", though I suppose bucket list would be a lot shorter...lol. One of my things was crossed off about four years ago....

<- take a look at my avatar and you'll see what it was :)
I had to really squint to figure out your avatar but I think I did it - skydiving?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard Sally, looks like you have a lot of reading to catch up on, Kindle will make it enjoyable for you.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi, Sally!  I grew up all over Illinois - Hoopeston, Peoria and went to college at good old ISU in Normal!  I remember the tshirts that said "It's great to be back to Normal"

I'm in California now, and sometimes would like to move back.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Sally and welcome!  I'm from IL too - though up north of Chicago in Gurnee.  My daughter goes to school in Champaign at U of I.  I love the friendly people of central IL - much more laid back than up here!

P.S.  This morning when I let the dog out it was 27 here - brrrrr!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.