Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Harvey, and I started KBoards (formerly KindleBoards) in 2007.

I started the site because: I love books, I love to read and to write, and I enjoy useful electronic gadgets like Amazon's Kindle. Since starting the site, I've also become an author - having authored or co-authored five technical guides in Wiley's "For Dummies" series, and published a historical mystery called "Stone and Silt."

In my day job, I'm a program manager for a portfolio of software development projects.

Several years ago, I transferred ownership of the site to my wife Carrie, for health reasons. While she owns the site, I still participate as a moderator and member of the community.

On the personal side, I live in Washington State, with Carrie and our three daughters. I like building things with wood. I like coffee, car-camping, and hiking with my golden retriever. And, for those of you in need of a word-of-the-day, I am particularly fond of petrichor -- which is a good thing given the coastal area where we live.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ha, I live in Washington as well! Tri-Cities, Richland to be exact, and I go to college at WSU Tri-Cities. Your daughter isn't a Dawg, is she? ;)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"top" Zune sites? What do you have like 8 members?  ;)

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ouch I just got zinged!!

Fortunately, one of the prerequisites for operating a Zune site is to have a sense of humor.

That, and a sense of enduring optimism.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Microsoft will get it right at some point... I mean, look at how far they've come with Vista  ;D.....

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark my words, at some point in the not too distant future, iPod-Zune will be a Pepsi-Coke type of decision for consumers.

...I did say something about enduring optimism, right?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I said my hello yesterday but I did want to thank you for starting this Forum.  I am sort of the type that approaches new gadgets with trepidation but once I start fiddling, nothing stops me ;)  I am on staff at a World-wide birding/nature forum for the last 6 years so I know the time and work it takes to keep a site going. 

I was pleasantly surprised out just how wonderful and helpful this site will be for my new gadget.  Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ That is very kind, and I especially appreciate that coming from an experienced forum staffer. Thank you!

I have to pause here again to thank Leslie, who created this community seemingly out of thin air. Magic! :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have to pause here again to thank Leslie, who created this community seemingly out of thin air. Magic!
Ah, thank you Harvey. That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while. Thank you. But then again...magic happens. LOL.
And after the magic is the hard work and energy to keep this place going but guess what? It is all good and it is all fun. Thanks to everyone for their support!

L

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi Harvey - thanks again for starting this wonderful site!  I just have a quick question.  Someone sent me a pm, and I think I sent the reply to them correctly, but can't find a "sent" box on my message page to make sure.  Is there a way for me to check?  It was a really nice note and I don't want them to think I was rude and ignored it.  Thanks!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hey Harvey. I got this following message about 4 minutes ago and had trouble getting back to the forum:

Template Parse Error!
It seems something has gone sour on the forum with the template system. This problem should only be temporary, so please come back later and try again. If you continue to see this message, please contact the administrator.

You can also try refreshing this page.

If this does come up again and I can't connect to KB, how do I contact the administrator??

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, you got caught in a 60-second window where I had uploaded some problematic website code.

Normally when that happens, I'm the culprit and can immediately back out whatever incorrect change I made.

If, though, the site is ever down for a while, you can email me at [email protected] Those emails come through to my iPhone so it's pretty rare that I don't check it regularly.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Harvey,

The traffic has gotten so heavy on your board that by the time I type an answer to something I’ve read, everything else that I found interesting has been pushed down and off the list of recent topics. Admittedly, I’m a slow thinker and typist so perhaps this isn’t a problem for anyone else. However, if there’s any modicum of agreement to this post, would you please consider expanding the recent posts window?

It might be important to mention here that can collapse categories to create more screen real-estate.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi harvey! i just sent a note to leslie on another thread, but wanted to say hi. we live on opposite coasts, but we do have some things in common. i love to run also, actually i'm training for my 2nd marathon in january. i, too, have twins (8 kids total), one son 14, daughters 12, 10, 10, 7, 5, 3, 3), so you know how that goes..this site is amazing. i followed leslie over from the amazon boards and love it here. the people are friendly, helpful, and fun!! i do more reading than posting, but i'm sure in time, i'll chime in with the rest of the gang. thanks for the wonderful site. it's a pleasure...

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello kindle mom!
  I ran my first (and only, so far) marathon a few years ago in Vancouver.
  Aren't twins great!?
  It's great that you're here! Thanks for your kind comments about the site. (It's all Leslie's doing, I'm just trying to keep up with her!!)
- Harvey

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Jeff said:
Harvey,

The traffic has gotten so heavy on your board that by the time I type an answer to something I've read, everything else that I found interesting has been pushed down and off the list of recent topics. Admittedly, I'm a slow thinker and typist so perhaps this isn't a problem for anyone else. However, if there's any modicum of agreement to this post, would you please consider expanding the recent posts window?

It might be important to mention here that can collapse categories to create more screen real-estate.

Thanks,

Jeff
I use the "new" function a lot, the "unread posts since last visit" and "new replies to your posts".

Betsy

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jeff said:
Harvey,

The traffic has gotten so heavy on your board that by the time I type an answer to something I've read, everything else that I found interesting has been pushed down and off the list of recent topics. Admittedly, I'm a slow thinker and typist so perhaps this isn't a problem for anyone else. However, if there's any modicum of agreement to this post, would you please consider expanding the recent posts window?

Thanks,

Jeff
I'm (puff) trying (puff! puff!) to keep up with all these new posts, too!!

I just increased the Recent Posts display from 25 to 40. (For others: this is displayed towards the bottom of the forum's main page, aka the "board index".)

I tend to use that feature quite a bit, too - - it's what usually drives where I go next when exploring the boards.

At this point the forum performance is really responsive, so I don't think there's any downside to increasing that.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.