Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Debbi Mack here. I just made my hardboiled mystery, IDENTITY CRISIS, available on Kindle. IDENTITY CRISIS was originally released by a small publisher in 2005, but went out of print less than a year later, when the publisher started to go under. However, I've continued to write crime fiction and have written two more books as sequels to this one. I also have a fourth book (a humorous crime caper) finished and I'm starting a fifth (a thriller). I hope to reissue IDENTITY CRISIS soon in print, too.

In addition, I've had a short story appear in a mystery anthology called CHESAPEAKE CRIMES. Another of my short stories will be published in CHESAPEAKE CRIMES 4, to be released by Wildside Press in March 2010.

You can find me all over the net. :) I'm on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Debbi-Mack/111167807626?ref=ts and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/debbimack So feel free to visit me on Facebook or follow on Twitter.

I have two blogs you might like: my author blog, Debbi Mack: My Life on the Mid-List at http://midlistlife.wordpress.com/ and The Book Grrl, where I post book reviews and news at http://thebookgrrl.blogspot.com/.

Oh, yeah, and I'm also a freelance writer and researcher. My Web site is http://www.debbimack.com. I love books, movies, music, cats, baseball and traveling to new places (and revisiting old ones). I'm also a dystonia sufferer (it's a rare, but disabling, movement disorder) and recently held a fundraiser for research to find a cure. I guess you could say I keep busy. :)

Thanks for reading. See ya 'round!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Erik,

Have done so--thanks!

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Well welcome Debbi,

I live in Derwood, MD and work in Crystal City.
We have a group that has already had a Kindle Meet in Pentagon City Mall.
We are planning another one for July 14 in Reston. Maybe you could join us.
The thread for that is in Not Quite Kindle and called DC Meet A Success.

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
welcome and enjoy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Will check out the Kindle Meet thread. I take it you vary your meeting places? Driving's a bit of a problem for me these days, so it's always ideal if I can meet people close to a Metro stop.

Let me know if that's an option. Again, thanks for the invite!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hi there :) Welcome to the boards :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Good to be here.

Debbi

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome Debbi, you're among friends here.
jp

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you guys like using Kindle? Is it user-friendly? Easy on the eyes? I haven't taken the leap and bought one yet. And while I still enjoy the feel of a print book in hand, I can imagine the benefits of a Kindle. Like having a whole library of books in one package. Amazing.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Debbi - read around the various threads - you will find out quick enough how people feel about their kindles and reading on them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good thinking, Dona.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
DebbiM said:
How do you guys like using Kindle? Is it user-friendly? Easy on the eyes? I haven't taken the leap and bought one yet. And while I still enjoy the feel of a print book in hand, I can imagine the benefits of a Kindle. Like having a whole library of books in one package. Amazing.
There are over 4400 members to this board, almost all have one or more Kindles. Seems pretty obvious we are in favor of the Kindle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I realize that, but my question is what do you like about it and why do you like them? Why do you choose it over print? Does Kindle have bad features, as well as good ones? Obviously, you must think the positives outweigh the negatives, but before I go spending several bills on one, I'd like to know more about the experience of using them from actual users.

I'm asking as a person who, so far, prefers printed books and has had no experience with using a Kindle. One of my fears is that I'll get eye strain. Has this been an issue for anyone? Or have e-book readers become so good, it's just like reading the same version in print?

So forgive me if I seem to be asking the obvious, but I was just wondering . . .

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
One of the best features of the Kindle is the ability to change the font size, so it is easier on the eyes than a paper book. I like holding mine in a cover that gives it more of a book feel, but others are happy without the cover. I find no difference in the enjoyment of reading between the Kindle and a paper book. After I received my Kindle I was unable to go back to paper books. I just love not having to carry multiple books when I travel and also having all of my books at my fingertips no matter where I am.

I have loved to read all of my life and I can honestly say that the Kindle has added to the enjoyment. The only bad feature that I can think of is that some books are not available for the Kindle, but more and more are being added. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Somewhere in Not Quite Kindle there was a thread about the medical positives - eye strain? nope, allergies? nope, sore arms/hands/shoulders? nope, etc.

When you peruse the threads you will see what people LIKE about the kindle, and WHY they like the kindle. Why it is chosen over print, why the weight is a factor, etc. The problems are K1? K2? DX? which is best for the individual? Another problem is people seem to have discovered their love of reading and spend way too much time reading, new genres, old genres, free books, inexpensive books (altho you can spend over $1,000 for a kindle book). You might have to go back to some of the older threads, but you will get a sense of who we are, what we like (except stay away from the Accessory thread, nothing but a bunch of ENABLERS there :mad: )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your insights help a lot, Kathy. Thanks! Sounds like a rave review. I think it will just be a matter of time before more books become available on Kindle. Publishers are wising up to the e-book trend fast and, given time, I'll bet you'll see a lot more titles.

And I'll check out some of those threads on Not Quite Kindle, Dona.

Thanks again.  8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts