Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Kindle on Monday.... about a 3 week wait for delivery. This is my Christmas present... My H got an iPhone for his. I had spent a lot of time looking at free book sites, reading the Amazon boards, etc. in the interim, and am delighted to have found a Kindle 'community' that's not just a 1-time question posting place.

I live near a small town southwest of Ft. Worth. I found that I cannot get a Whispernet connection at my house (but we can get all the other wireless services), so I have to drive about 3 miles to where I can connect. I do that most days, anyway, so it's not that much of a problem. I was thinking of returning the Kindle for that reason, but my H said that I bought it as a book reader and I have all of the other things available via my computer or cell phone, so it shouldn't be a reason to return the Kindle. Yesterday I went to the post office, dropped in the mail, sat in the parking lot and turned on the Whispernet and downloaded the new books I had bought from my computer. Works for me, I guess.  ;)

We have a lot of book clutter after 23 years in this house, and I am hoping this will make a big difference. In the past year I have jettisoned about 200 cookbooks (after keeping the good recipes), computer manuals, and other books I didn't want to keep 'forever'. I am finding my H is really more resistant to getting rid of books than I am!

I have my eye on a 'Tree of Life' cover, too, but the one with the built in light is also nice.... decisions.  :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
KeyboardKat said:
I got my Kindle on Monday.... about a 3 week wait for delivery. This is my Christmas present... My H got an iPhone for his. I had spent a lot of time looking at free book sites, reading the Amazon boards, etc. in the interim, and am delighted to have found a Kindle 'community' that's not just a 1-time question posting place.

I live near a small town southwest of Ft. Worth. I found that I cannot get a Whispernet connection at my house (but we can get all the other wireless services), so I have to drive about 3 miles to where I can connect. I do that most days, anyway, so it's not that much of a problem. I was thinking of returning the Kindle for that reason, but my H said that I bought it as a book reader and I have all of the other things available via my computer or cell phone, so it shouldn't be a reason to return the Kindle. Yesterday I went to the post office, dropped in the mail, sat in the parking lot and turned on the Whispernet and downloaded the new books I had bought from my computer. Works for me, I guess. ;)

We have a lot of book clutter after 23 years in this house, and I am hoping this will make a big difference. In the past year I have jettisoned about 200 cookbooks (after keeping the good recipes), computer manuals, and other books I didn't want to keep 'forever'. I am finding my H is really more resistant to getting rid of books than I am!

I have my eye on a 'Tree of Life' cover, too, but the one with the built in light is also nice.... decisions. :)
Welcome KeyboardKat to Kindleboards! We have a great time here. Visit The Book Corner for bookclubs starting in Jan, bargain books, book recommendations and more. Ahhh sounds as if you've already been to accessories, do like the rest of us get both covers. ;) Glad you joined us.

Linda

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Linda. I saw the links to those on the Amazon board, but I also found this place from there and am delighted there is an actual group of Kindle owners that have started a group and stay around as a community. :)

I haven't been to the accessory area yet, but you can be sure I will. I bought a book light off of Amazon before my Kindle came, but I haven't needed it yet. I may get that Tree of Life cover.... it's gorgeous!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Are you aware you can download books to your computer and transfer them to the Kindle via the USB cable? I do that a lot, especially with non-Amazon books.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard KeyboardKat,

It is nice to have a fellow Kindler added to our group. There are lots of helps and tips to keep you learning.
You will Not regret an Oberon cover.

Nice to meet you,

-sailor

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hello KeyboardKat, so does your name have anything to do with cats and your keyboard? I know mine would like to lay on it ;D

Well I guess if I looked at your avatar I would have answered my own question! :-[

Lynn

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Keyboard Kat...welcome and glad to have you here. Yes, this is a real community! I think you'll enjoy the folks...I do!

L

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pidgeon92 - Yes I know I can do that, but have never tried it. For someone who has worked on computers for a long time, I still get nervous to try something new.

I just wanted to download the book and a couple of Kindle FAQs I bought over the Whispernet the first time. I need to try it the other way, too. I am a bit confused about the folders part. :-[ Also, I need to decide which computer to use for this all the time. I have some non-Amazon books on one of them, so I guess that's the one I will use.

Angela - It's so pretty where you live; nice and green compared to here. We go to Shreveport now and then for a weekend. ;-)

Lynn - I am down to 2 cats right now and a border collie named Jessie. She's my baby! Loves to go in the car.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi KeyboardKat,

Nice to have you here. I think you are going to get along just fine here.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
KeyboardKat said:

I live near a small town southwest of Ft. Worth. I found that I cannot get a Whispernet connection at my house (but we can get all the other wireless services), so I have to drive about 3 miles to where I can connect. I do that most days, anyway, so it's not that much of a problem. I was thinking of returning the Kindle for that reason, but my H said that I bought it as a book reader and I have all of the other things available via my computer or cell phone, so it shouldn't be a reason to return the Kindle. Yesterday I went to the post office, dropped in the mail, sat in the parking lot and turned on the Whispernet and downloaded the new books I had bought from my computer. Works for me, I guess. ;)

I have my eye on a 'Tree of Life' cover, too, but the one with the built in light is also nice.... decisions. :)
KeyboardKat:

Welcome to the Kindleboards, and congratulations on your new Kindle! You are going to be SOOOOO happy you did not return your Kindle!

Be sure to check out the Book Corner, we have lots of free books, bargain books and members' favorite books recommended there; sounds like you've already checked out Accessories! Tips and Tricks will help you get the most out of your Kindle!

Betsy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for the welcomes.

I have been reading a novel I bought; I can read better on this than most books due to changing the type face up just one setting. I am thrilled with it so far. Tomorrow I will try to do a switch from my computer.. yikes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome Kat! I'm new here myself so you're not alone :) I've been lurking for a few days prior to getting my kindle on Monday, and this seems like the place to be if you have any questions. I think you should keep your kindle, its really an amazing device. I've yet to try a transfer from pc to the kindle but I'm sure its as easy as everyone else says it is. Did you choose a name for you kindle?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hello, Keyboard Kat -

I like your picture; that's pretty cute.  How young is your Border Collie?  They are such intelligent & high-energy dogs!

Glad to have you here and look forward to seeing your Oberon cover pictures  ;) ;D

Be sure to make a post in Tips & Tricks if you have any trouble when trying to transfer downloaded books from your computer to the Kindle. 

Marci

1 - 16 of 16 Posts