Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My name is Joan and I'm a wife, Mom and a Grandma. I have been lurking on the Kindle Board for several weeks and visit every day to catch up on the latest news about the Kindle and my fellow Kindlers.

I am loving my Kindle 2, have had it since the end of Feb. and have so far read 35 books (I'm a fast reader). I'm a big fan of southern authors like Anne Rivers Siddons, Dorothea Benton Frank and Mary Kay Andrews.

My home is just beyond the Whispernet range so I usually download the book via my computer and then transfer to the Kindle, but a 15 minute drive toward the Detroit River gives me perfect 5 bar coverage.

The most useful tool that I have found so far is http://oscurapress.com/mysteria/cgi-bin/mysteria.cgi. When the book you want to read is not "kindleized" this web site notifies you by email when it is available which Amazon apparently does not do and is just so handy.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hi Joan :) glad you have joined us :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hello Joan!  It's so nice to see that Canadians are finding ways of getting and using Kindles. 

I'm guessing you save up books for which you want samples and drive that 15 minutes every now and then to download them?

Margaret (1/2 Canadian, Mum born in Ottawa)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Margaret.  Yes, I do save a list of  "samples" that I want to try for the drive downtown. Occasionally I have had trouble downloading a book to my computer, so I save that one too and it's downloaded automatically when I'm in the riverfront parking lot and the whispernet connects.  If the signal was just a tad stronger I could save the drive.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, Joan, glad you joined us!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Joan - nice to have you here!  I have some friends from Hamilton that are considering a kindle, they do have relatives in the US so it would be no problem with a credit card and address.  I can just imagine what would happen if kindle would open up to Canada - WHEW  :eek:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi, Joan! I'm just about two hours away from you, in Lansing, Mich. (We used to go to Windsor sometimes to drink before we turned 21!)

I'm new here, too, and everyone has been so friendly!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome Joan, I know you'll enjoy your stay here.. ;D
jp

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hi Joan, and welcome to Kindleboards. Your post really surprised me because I've been told--and to my knowledge it's still true--that we can't get Kindles in Canada, specifically the pacific northwest or in Alberta. Something to do with negotiation problems between amazon and the service provider, or some such thing. Anyhow, it's great to meet another Canadian. By the way, I lived in Windsor when I was 4 years old, for about a year my mother tells me. But that was fifty years ago! I expect it's changed some.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also a Canadian.  I was thinking of buying a Kindle 2 for my wife for her B day in July.  Being 50ish the eyes are becoming a bit of an issue with small print hence my thought about the Kindle 2.  I know that the Kindle is not available in Canada but i happen to live about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls NY and i see by the map that the signal goes across the border quite a distance. 

I have a few questions for the Canadians who have used this device. 
a) how did you buy it?
b) is it possible to download the ebook on the Canadian side if so how do you pay for it?
c) Would you prefer the larger screen of the Kindle DX rather than the smaller Kindle 2 size screen? 
d) Is the Kindle DX just too big to make it practical to lug around in a purse or bag or is the smaller 2 version of a more book size feel.

thanks

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello jim.millington! Welcome to KindleBoards and congrats on your first post! I own a K1 so I can't answer any of your questions about K2, but which ever Kindle you decide on, your wife will love it, I am sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the welcome.  Seems you like the Kindle.  Since i live in Canada i have never seen or held one or used one - only seen pictures and videos.  I believe this will be useful.  I heard on NPR yesterday that women don't like presents if they need to be plugged in.  I am trying to make sure that my interest in technology does not get ahead of what my wife will find useful or helpful.  The K2 seems to be more the right size for reading books than the DX.  The ability to change the font size is very important.....can't do that with a paper book!

Was your transition from a paper book to ebook reader difficult?  Do you now prefer ebook to paper?  Do you like/prefer electronic toys?

thanks

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards Jim!!  I'm sure you'll get some responses from other Canadians on the boards.  I can't help I'm from Chicago.  I'm sure you'll love the kindle and get TONS of useful (and not so useful  ;D) info here on KindleBoards....
jp

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Jim - welcome to kindleboards.  First of all you need a US address and a US credit card.  You need to buy your books from Amazon through that credit card, after that you can download your books through your computer if Wn does not actually "cross the border".  It is easy to learn to read the kindle, no technology required just a love of reading.  Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts