Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I got my new Kindle for Christmas and have lurking on the boards. I am finally coming out to ask for some help from the pros here.

I am having a surprisingly difficult time finding new books to read on my Kindle because of what seems like really crappy search features on Amazon. Is this just me, or does anyone else find the Kindle section unwieldy, disorganized and highly frustrating? I am spending most of my book money right now trying to recreate my paperback library of favorite books on my Kindle. That is going marginally ok, although I am frustrated by the seeming randomness of what is and is not available, for instance, why would they carry Book 2 of David Eddings' Belgariad, but not Book 1? Where I am struggling now however, is in trying to find new books. I can't seem to replicate the process of browsing in a bookstore, looking at cover art (yes, I admit, I do judge books by their covers quite often), reading the back cover description, however semi-literate and glaringly inaccurate it may be, and flipping through the book to read random bits and get a feel for the style.

In searching for cheap books by price, I see the same 25 or 30 pages of books I never heard of and Amazon has no feature allowing me to jump ahead. I have tried paging through rapidly, but it stops at 100 pages and won't let me past that point. I can't find any way to search by new additions to the Kindle store. It seems as if some of the books are listed in every single genre sort I can come up with, so I see the same stuff over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kindle and I have been reading all sorts of old stuff I have read before, I just can't seem to easily find new books. The one I did buy was the Story of Edgar Sawtelle, and I owe Oprah a kick in the shins over that recommendation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Congratulations on your Kindle, TalkFast, and welcome to Kindleboards.

One thing you can do is use the Advanced Search in the regular Books section. Here's a link that explains how to do it:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,285.msg5268.html#msg5268

Also, you can narrow your searches within the Kindle store to specific kinds of books by clicking on the genre categories to the left, and then further by clicking on the Avg Customrer Review categories, also at the left.

For example, there are 220,000 plus books in the Kindle store. If you select fiction, it limits it to 91K, to mystery, 9K and then down to 4K that are 5star reviewed.

Hope this helps. Others will also have ideas, I'm sure!

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi TalkFast - Glad to have you here.  I have no idea of how to guide through the Amazon board.  I usually look for authors or book names and go from there.  But I have found so many new books here that I finally quit.  I love Amazon, but their book area needs a lot of work!  ::)

There are a lot, and I mean a lot of people on this thread that know of what they speak so you should get plenty of ideas, and I'm gonna lurk your answers.  ;D

Happy Reading and welcome out of lurkdom!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
If you go through some of the posts in our Book Corner, you will find that you are not alone in your criticisms of what is available. We have an entire thread devoted to books our members want available on the Kindle. The problem with several books in a series being missing is also well documented here.

At this point, the books that are most readily available are those that are relatively new, or quite old. A majority of books in between are missing, and it will likely be years until the publishing industry bothers to convert them.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
First and foremost, I love your avatar.
Second, I have complained of the same problem. I also tended to pick up a book because of cover art. Not the best reason, I'm aware, but it worked for me. I have found the best recommendations have come from the threads on here. Books recommended by readers; bargain prices january 2009; etc. I started out on Amazon searching for authors I already loved and then seeing what else Amazon recommended below that.
Somewhere in these mass of threads I also was upset over not being able to get past page 100. I want to see EVERYTHING. Someone suggested to me that I could narrow it down by using the star ratings. That has helped some, but just like you, I get the same ones over and over. I have my fingers crossed that after they get the process down for converting the books to Kindle format, Amazon will be able to spend more time working on thier website to make our shopping experience easier.
Welcome.
debbie

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, TalkFast, glad to have you here!

I have found that the recommendations here have been a great source of Kindle recommendations. We have a wide variety of members and I am learning about lots of books I might never have heard of before from them. It's been great. I also belong to a Yahoo! group for historical fiction (one of my favorites) and that has been another source of good recommendations. Between these two resources, I have plenty to keep me busy. I really like the personal recommendations, being able to ask questions, etc. It has helped sidestep some real duds!

L

·
Registered
731 Posts
I usually browse the regular bookstore and then see if a Kindle edition is available. If you want to jump around in the Kindle store; you can go to the very end of the URL and change the page number. (looks like this page = 2 ). You can sign up for a Kindle specific "Amazon Delivers" email on the Kindle Store homepage (NOT the book homepage). All credit for this next hint goes to MelJackson: If you look here http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1231984568/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_4?ie=UTF8&rs=1000&bbn=1000&rnid=618072011&rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A618073011 you can browse a list of Kindle New Releases from the past 30 or 90 days. (Or upcoming new releases).

All that aside, your best resource is going to be your fellow readers. Put up a list of your 10 favorite books, or books you liked last year or your 10 favorite covers or anything to give us an idea and we will inundate you with suggestions. (And all of them are guaranteed to be Awesome!)

Scott

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome talkfast and congrats on your first post! :)

I have gotten 90% of my book recommendations from here, it is one of the things I like most about KB. I am reading authors for the first time and genres I never would have chosen for myself. I also use the link that Scott gave you in his post. I love The Book Corner!! Please join us for a book klub.

My Kindle has broadened my reading horizon!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I'm an avid follower of the Free Books and Bargain Books here in the Book Corner. While we all have varied tastes, there is certainly a big variety of books that come up on both of those threads. I've found some good books that way, and even discovered books that I had wanted that suddenly became discounted.

The Amazon e-mails of "what's new on Kindle" are also a reasonable source for books you may be interested in. You can sign up for it on the Amazon site.

As for the series, it seems that Amazon is slowly adding the other books in popular series. It may just take a while until they're all available, and they probably won't become available in order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the welcome messages and assistance. Kindle owners really are a friendly group! I am working my way through the recommendations thread in the Book section. I do have one other question. Has anyone here bought one of the Extra Large print versions of a book? Several of Anne McCaffrey's books are actually cheaper in the large print edition, but I don't want to buy them if they are only readable in absurdly large print. Does anyone know if the font can be reduced on the Kindle?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello TalkFast and welcome! Susan M posted a website www.jungle-search.com that will allow you to do more presice search on Amazon and you can even indicate that you want Kindle books. I have checked it out and it looks pretty good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts