Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my name is FreshKDP as that is what I prefer to go by from here on out these days.  Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone on the forum and hopefully meet some pretty interesting people while also making this a learning experience.

So to start it off how is everyone doing? Could you all share some of your publishing history/ background etc maybe how long you have been publishing kindle content.

Thanks!

FreshKDP

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi,

Welcome. I love it here. Great people, much wisdom, lots of humor.

I've written all my life but wasn't all that serious about it until recently. Long ago I've had some short articles published in a shortwave hobbist magazine (two of which were taken up and read on the air on the Israeli Shortwave broadcasting station. I had a historical fact article published in True West magazine many years ago, as well as a couple of erotic articles published under a pen name along about the same time. Just last fall I published my ebook (indie) on amazon and have it listed on KDP. Not like some authors, this has been a positive experience for me. There's some other things of mine out there but none of note.

I'm mostly writing Historical Fiction these days. My first love.

How about yourself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Atleast I know the forum isn't dead haha.

I actually haven't published any books yet so let me give you a little bit of my background and maybe you can give me some advice as far as content creation goes and actually putting the book together (table of contents, title page, copy rights, what software you use or do you outsource your work etc)

So I'm 22 years old and just moved to Florida to start my Internet Marketing career online with KDP and at the moment I'm currently "immersing" myself in Ryan Diess Kindle Course, Jerome Yip Kindle Goldmine and also Bryan Kumar Kindle publishing reports.

Now my goal is to publish 100 books and I don't feel that's an unrealistic goal I just need to get my foot in the door and learn from someone that is experienced as far as creating content and getting things moving. (Love hearing testimonies and stories and learning from others)

So anyways I want to build a reputation of giving quality content on Kindle (one problem I don't feel I'm that great of a writer and definitely not interested in creating fiction stories myself) but that's not going to stop me from achieving my goal.

I understand the marketing aspect of it and promoting etc etc, but I'm stuck on the very important part and that's creating the content and where to gather the content. I know I can do it and there has to be a way around this stumbling block any advice?

Thanks for replying to my post by the way :)

FreshKDP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
geoffthomas said:
Welcome FreshKDP.
Glad you found your way to the KB.
Hope you find friends here.
Thank you thank you! I hope so too, looking to build my avenue here and branch off and also be a huge contribution to other authors in KDP

·
Registered
299 Posts
FreshKDP said:
Atleast I know the forum isn't dead haha.

I actually haven't published any books yet so let me give you a little bit of my background and maybe you can give me some advice as far as content creation goes and actually putting the book together (table of contents, title page, copy rights, what software you use or do you outsource your work etc)

So I'm 22 years old and just moved to Florida to start my Internet Marketing career online with KDP and at the moment I'm currently "immersing" myself in Ryan Diess Kindle Course, Jerome Yip Kindle Goldmine and also Bryan Kumar Kindle publishing reports.

Now my goal is to publish 100 books and I don't feel that's an unrealistic goal I just need to get my foot in the door and learn from someone that is experienced as far as creating content and getting things moving. (Love hearing testimonies and stories and learning from others)

Ahh, youth. I envy your energy.

If you have a manuscript more or less ready and are interested in publishing on amazon check 'Building Your Book For Kindle':

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=building+your+book+for+kindle&sprefix=building+your%2Cdigital-text%2C312

It's a free download and can answer many of your questions.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I currently have right now is 200+ Bible Verses that I was going to upload on different topics. Such as Love, Trust, Strength etc etc and before we dive into the verses I would give a little script of how i applied it to my life, how it got me through than provide the verses to apply to your life now.

And haha don't envy me! You have just as much energy my friend, Sweet by the way I'm downloading the manuscript now and going to go through it.

Do you put all of your stuff together yourself or just create the content and outsource the rest?

FreshKDP

·
Registered
299 Posts
All by myself. Truth? I spit nails and bashed walls through a lot of it and my family begged me to pay someone to do it. But with a 370 page mss and a cost of $2/page as a best bid - I soldiered on. (That price included proofreading as well as converting the mss into a usable form.)

I hear that there are sites that will take your completed mss (manuscript) and convert it for use at Kindle, more if you want to go with B&N and other places. One cost about $60 I think. You might look at the services Smashwords and Bookbaby offer for similar help.

Searching various Kindle Boards will tell you more.

I compliment you on going through it. I loved seeing my stuff published.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
strath said:
All by myself. Truth? I spit nails and bashed walls through a lot of it and my family begged me to pay someone to do it. But with a 370 page mss and a cost of $2/page as a best bid - I soldiered on. (That price included proofreading as well as converting the mss into a usable form.)

I hear that there are sites that will take your completed mss (manuscript) and convert it for use at Kindle, more if you want to go with B&N and other places. One cost about $60 I think. You might look at the services Smashwords and Bookbaby offer for similar help.

Searching various Kindle Boards will tell you more.

I compliment you on going through it. I loved seeing my stuff published.
I'm not too much of a fiction writer but I think I could probably take the time out of my day everyday to work on some non-fiction books, Just power through and do some serious research and get myself into a good category/niche, I take it you like writing fiction and have the creative mind for it or did you get ideas from else where?

I would absolutely love to stay in contact with you, is there anyway to friend on this forum?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome to the Board everyone here is so welcoming and friendly I think this is one of the many Kindle forums I will be extremely active on.
I feel a lot of you already are going to be guiding and mentoring me towards greatness as I pave my way into the Kindle Platform, Just need to find my niche and get started.

Going through a few courses right here but I also intend to publish other peoples books on my account and start ranking up that way also :)

I would like to start my own books though and be able to put my name in there.

So what programs do you use for your title page, table of contents, etc etc and where do you get your copy rights from? I have so many questions

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hope I helped you some.

I write HF, historical fiction (mostly), so most of my ideas come from there. An axiom I hold to is that History is Biography. My book's genesis started by my ancestors (family history). I you want to see what seeded it click the 'Articles' tab on my web site. It has an article I published some years ago. I based the story and the fictionalized characters on many of the people found in that article. For me, writing is a kind of magic that has my characters sort of come alive, take over the story, and write it for me. It's kind of weird. The link is:

http://www.stevenspen.com/

I know there is a way to 'friend' people here but I'm too new and don't know how it's done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
strath said:
Hope I helped you some.

I write HF, historical fiction (mostly), so most of my ideas come from there. An axiom I hold to is that History is Biography. My book's genesis started by my ancestors (family history). I you want to see what seeded it click the 'Articles' tab on my web site. It has an article I published some years ago. I based the story and the fictionalized characters on many of the people found in that article. For me, writing is a kind of magic that has my characters sort of come alive, take over the story, and write it for me. It's kind of weird. The link is:

http://www.stevenspen.com/

I know there is a way to 'friend' people here but I'm too new and don't know how it's done.
That's some serious stuff "Haunted house several men killed"

Wow wow wow, I'm definitely not a fiction writer but I give you praise for your writings and being able to conceive that.

I'm wanting to go into the non-fiction niche and stick there and leave the fiction to other people, not a story man (I'll read them but not write them)

I just purchased two books off the Kindle that I'm going to read combined with my courses to spark my creative juices and really put some effort into this.

This morning it took me an hour and a half to put together bible verse quotes and probably was going to add a little blurb in there to go along with it, than I thought to myself... If I'm not willing to work harder on myself to create quality content for customers than I don't need to be in this business nor do I need to continue.

I've decided to go through these books follow the steps and start writing some decent content and hopefully have something published either at the end of this month or the start of next. Going to push myself and appropriate time to work in my favor, I truly believe Kindle is way to receive some serious Income and I'm going to market it like crazy when i get my content out there.

Have you put your book through KDP select yet and set up your days for some nice exposure?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good work, FreshKDP.

Good luck with what seems to be a good plan to advance through your project.

I wish you joy of the effort. I also wish you a good night. It's late here and I'm old.

·
Registered
299 Posts
P.S.

Use Word 2003 or 2010 to write it. Though 'Scrivener' (I'm not sure I spelled it right) is a good program for writers (downloaded for about $50). Kindle and others have what they call a 'grinder' that turns it into published form. That book I recommended has the other 'formatting' issues. They also have a page that lists them too. Look around.

Amazon and Barnes&Noble each provide an ISBN identifier (copyright comes from just saying truthfully you wrote the stuff - that's explained everywhere - another thing you can google about) of their own or you can google where to buy one that's 'official' for the gov. and the Library of Congress.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
strath said:
P.S.

Use Word 2003 or 2010 to write it. Though 'Scrivener' (I'm not sure I spelled it right) is a good program for writers (downloaded for about $50). Kindle and others have what they call a 'grinder' that turns it into published form. That book I recommended has the other 'formatting' issues. They also have a page that lists them too. Look around.

Amazon and Barnes&Noble each provide an ISBN identifier (copyright comes from just saying truthfully you wrote the stuff - that's explained everywhere - another thing you can google about) of their own or you can google where to buy one that's 'official' for the gov. and the Library of Congress.
So another question for you and your funny. "I'm old" your never old and always young in spirit remember that!

As far as my image (ebook cover, title page and all that stuff goes the whole formatting process) is that explained inside of the book that you provided me with? I intend to get around to looking at it but is that what we are referring to here? I was writing a few things in word but I'm not sure how to format everything quite yet (Should be flipping through the book you advised)

Is Scrivener a complicated program and is it better than Word? Are you able to format inside of that program and all that good stuff. Does the program also convert into Mobi format?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts