Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all of you! ;D

Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Chris West. In addition to writing, I teach seventh grade English, too. I recently (as of yesterday) self-published my very first novel, titled Transfigured (which is available here on Amazon and soon-to-be B&N @ $2.99). It's a story about a girl named Martina who is an empath- a human with the powers to heal other through physical touch. (Think 'reverse-vampires.')

I can't wait to get to know all of you, and I sincerely wish much luck and success to you all- authors, readers, and students alike!

Enjoy the ride!

-Chris :)

http://www.amazon.com/Transfigured-The-Oathtaker-Trials-ebook/dp/B0052GOT2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1306408991&sr=8-1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the well-wishes, all of you!

Many of you seem to be quite-accomplished authors, and as such, I feel as if I need some advice.  This may not be the proper forum, but hopefully some of you will see this response and be inclined to discuss with me...

I spent most of today working towards formatting the 'innards' of my novel, as well as redesigning the cover, for CreateSpace. It was infuriating, because I thought (very, very wrongly) that I'd be able to accomplish it with ease.  It happened, and hopefully will look great once we get a proof, but now I'm sitting around waiting.

Here's where I need some advice.  How the hell do I market this thing?  Or better yet, myself as an author?  I have a ton of things ready to be written and a summer to do it, but I've spent the first week of summer vacation thus far formatting, posting, etc. I finally decided to write a bit tonight, just for fun, and enjoyed it thoroughly...

Here's the rub: do I worry about the marketing, the KindleBoarding, the Twittering, the Facebooking, the websiting, the blogging now, OR, do I write my ass off this summer, get material out (the novel has taken a good while, due to teaching and working on my Ed.S degree simultaneously), and begin the social networking blast of marketing, building relationships and such later on?

I'm thinking I may spend a summer away from socializing and write until my brain is ready to crumble. Then, I can begin school with a nice, full backlist and start working on sequels and threequels.

Much love to you all!  Thanks for responses in advance!

-Chris :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welcome Chris.  I'm not expert but the consensus seems to be that
having more than one ebook available gives you an advantage as there
is more out there for readers to come across and if they like one of your
books they are more apt to buy the rest of them.  Also, for series the
first at 99 cents is an easy impulse buy and can make the rest of the
series at 2.99 sell better if the reader liked the first one.  Plus in the
Kindlestore the 2.99 book nets you about seven times as much as the
99 cent book since you get 70 per cent rather than 35. 

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi, Chris.

You might want to check out Joe Konrath's blog http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/and Karen Mcquestion's bloghttp://mcquestionablemusings.blogspot.com/. They talk about the indie author business a lot and give lots of useful advice. Building your backlist certainly helps as each book potentially helps the other. A lot of authors get their books reviewed by various book bloggers. That exposes them to potential readers.

Reussie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Chris! Nice to meet you & best of luck with "Transfigured"! It sounds like something I'd love to read. :D

As for what is most advisable, I'm new to all this myself but I think a solid online presence is rather helpful. I know it's brutally time consuming, (I live on FB/Tumblr/Twitter) but -- as the old adage goes -- "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

We're our own PR hounds. We have some yelling to do so people know we exist!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.