Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have been a browser....I guess its called a lurker...on the Amazon forum.  I enjoy some of the witty responses (tennix comes to mind). and I learn a lot about how to do things with my Kindle and it keeps me informed about free books.  I also love to watch a good fight, which seems to happen if anyone says anything negative about the Kindle.  But this site may be more informative, so I am joining in on this one.

I love my Kindle.  I use it every day and I recommend it to all my reading friends.  I read more than I ever have before.  Many other chores have been neglected.  I am a speech pathologist that works in a hospital with lots of stroke patients, etc.  I have found many (not all) are able to read on the kindle that have been unable to read by other means (including large print books).  The font size change and the shorter page line makes it easier for them to track.  So they love it as well.

My favorite feature is the sample.  I have expanded my reading choices.  I love sampling the blogs and the newspapers. 

I do wish they would fix the pager turning part.  I know its a hot button for some people, but, I do not have difficulty with dexiterity and  I'm always hitting a button at the wrong time.

I LOVE kindle NOW NOW.  It saves me a lot of time and I use it all the time. 

Yogini2

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yogini,

That's interesting about the stroke patients. Thanks for that. I have also been interested to hear how many people with visual impairments who were not able to read books anymore are able to read the Kindle.

I, unfortunately, seem to have enough astigmatism that I am not able to read my Kindle without my "fake" reading glasses, even at a larger font size. I was hoping I'd be able to ditch the glasses but alas, no.

By "fake," I mean the magnifying glasses you buy at the grocery store or drug store. It's a mystery to me how they fix the blurriness because they really should only enlarge the size of what I am reading...but, whatever. They work for me!

Leslie

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Yogini.  A tip for reducing the sensitivity of the righhand page buttons which were the ones that gave me trouble.  Cut a narrow strip off across the short dimension of a business card.  Make the strip about a quarter of an inch wide.  Crease this strip lengthwise, as if you were going to roll a very thin "cowboy" cigarette,  Now you have a thin strip of business card that looks like an L when viewed from the end.  Carefully slip the strip beneath the bottom edge of the "Back" and the "Next Page" buttons in the crack below them (I made one strip work by putting it beneath both buttons at the same time).  Slip it under the buttons so that one of the legs of the L is pointing down.  This keeps the strip from slipping completely under the buttons and gives you something to grab to remove it.  The strip acts as a shim to make it harder to accidently push the right hand buttons.  The same thing could be done to the left buttons. Leaving the Kindle in its case while reading also helps.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would think I would know how to respond to a forum, but I don't .  So, I'll be learning.

Thank you to Leslie, Cush and Tennix for responding to my little note.  Cush, I've been trying the little mini-shim trick to keep the buttons from being so sensitive.  I haven't got the hang of it yet.  I'm all left brained and word based.  My right brain is probably the size of a dried up little pea, so I can't quite visualize it yet.  It either doesn't work or it blocks the page turning completely.  I'm working on a thinner piece of paper.  You're an engineer right?  Did you come up with the velcro trick?  I love that one.  And I do keep it in the cover.

Tennix, you do not need remedial humor lessons.  It is rapier sharp already.

Leslie, I sent an e-mail to you.  The people that the Kindle has worked with are those with visual field cuts and have difficulty tracking.  It has also worked with those who become visually fatigued after a few paragraphs.  I think the e-ink is easier on the eyes for them. 

Yogini2

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Yogini,

I got your email...thanks!

In terms of responding...I see you did reply, so you must be getting the hang of it. In a nutshell, select the "reply" button in the upper right side of the message. That will open a box where you can type your message. You'll see a bunch of features you can use when replying, like bold, italic, and color. There is also a smiley face library: :) ;D 8) You can insert pictures and stuff but we'll get to that another day.

You would think I would know how to respond to a forum, but I don't . So, I'll be learning.
Another feature is quoting, so someone can see what you are responding to. Again, look up on the right. You'll see the little icon for Quote. Choose that and the whole message will be quoted, which you can edit to select a portion of.

That should be enough to get you started... Glad to have you here!

L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts