Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having lots of issues with my computer. I did a system restore and it crashed coming back up and then couldn't get system restore to work. Kept getting blank screen.  Finally get the screen up but now I keep getting the following message.

System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and run restore again. Then the program closes.

I've tried all the options I can find online and not getting anywhere. Also I can't install McAffee it disappeared when I did the restore and now when I try to reinstall it says it's failed.

There are soo many programs out there I'm not sure which one to get.

thanks

theresam

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Here are a couple of registry cleaning utilities recommended by PC World, and both are free. I'd be a little wary of messing with the registry if you can't get a restore to work. Be sure to backup your data before you do anything else - you might end up having to reinstall the OS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope the fix is that simple (registry cleaner), but what you are describing sounds like more than just a simple registry error! I'd make sure you have any important data backed up because the fix could be a windows reinstall. Could be anything from a virus/mallware to a failing hard drive that has munged your system beyond repair.

If you can access the event viewer, check and see what errors you are getting to give you and idea what to fix.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I agree with Tarma. Registry cleaners are fine for removing orphaned application settings but they can't fix serious system errors and may even makes things worse.

After backing up all your crucial data to CD or an external drive I would advise you to schedule the disk check utility with the fix option selected. If it finds errors and fixes them your troubles will be over without any further steps. If that doesn't do it and if you're quite sure that there is no malware on your system you may be able to reapply the last service pack to restore any system core files that have been overwritten by accident.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts