Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Announced that my ebook will be free tomorrow and now I don't see an option to set it to zero!!!

Help anyone?

Tks!

Filipa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
The only ways to get a book free on Amazon are to either make it free everywhere and hope they price match, or enroll it in the KDP Select program, which gives you 5 days out of every 90 to set the price to free.
 
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tks! Not good...at all...

Well, let's see if it works. Anyone tried this and failed? There seem to be so many free ebooks there I thought it was a no brainer...rookie:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
You probably won't get it to price match by tomorrow so your best bet is to enter it in KDP Select and then schedule it to be free - you can do this easily through the drop down menu.  Should be able to do that no problem. 

The only thing is that you can't be selling the book anywhere else or that violates the terms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
leedobbins said:
You probably won't get it to price match by tomorrow so your best bet is to enter it in KDP Select and then schedule it to be free - you can do this easily through the drop down menu. Should be able to do that no problem.

The only thing is that you can't be selling the book anywhere else or that violates the terms.
This.

Unlikely you will see the price match in time. Joining KDP Select will let you set to free tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Unlikely you will see the price match in time. Joining KDP Select will let you set to free tomorrow.
Yes, but if it's up for sale on any other site, you probably won't be able to get it taken down quickly enough.
 
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MegHarris said:
Yes, but if it's up for sale on any other site, you probably won't be able to get it taken down quickly enough.
Tks everyone for the clarifications. Unfortunatelly I'm already published in other stores so I won't make it on KDP by tomorrow...fail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
From what I've read on here in the past, Amazon gives you a grace period when you enter Select. They know that it takes other sites some time to take your books down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
NicholasAndrews said:
From what I've read on here in the past, Amazon gives you a grace period when you enter Select. They know that it takes other sites some time to take your books down.
They do give you a grace period. Quite a number of us here emailed Amazon to confirm this and Amazon did. As long as you have requested the removal, you're good with Amazon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
leedobbins said:
You probably won't get it to price match by tomorrow so your best bet is to enter it in KDP Select and then schedule it to be free - you can do this easily through the drop down menu. Should be able to do that no problem.

The only thing is that you can't be selling the book anywhere else or that violates the terms.
I want to clarify: You can't sell it anywhere else as an ebook. You can sell it everywhere else as a paperback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
By the way, the text of what I am sure is a standard Amazon e-mail confirming that all you have to do at Smashwords is request the removal has been posted here a number of times. A search would probably turn it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,641 Posts
How widely was this out? Did you pay for ads, submit to lots of sites? If so, I'd honor it, yank the book from other retailers, and put it in Select. Like, now.

But if you were just doing it on your own site or to your own fans, head over to Smashwords, put it up there if you haven't already, then either make it free there or generate a coupon to make it free. Then link everyone to there or publicize the coupon.

You can also go free on Kobo instantly, as well as iTunes if you put it up direct (not through another site like Smash, Lulu or D2D) and already have the book up. Price changes go through fast.

Just not Amazon or BN. Those are not easy venues to be free.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
TexasGirl said:
You can also go free on Kobo instantly, as well as iTunes if you put it up direct (not through another site like Smash, Lulu or D2D) and already have the book up. Price changes go through fast.
You can go free at iTunes (and Kobo) through Draft2Digital. I thought you could at Smashwords, too, but I haven't used the site in over a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,641 Posts
I know you CAN go free with Smash and D2D, but will they go up by tomorrow? That's the OP issue. Only the direct uploads will be that fast, I'm betting.

Smash is definitely not that fast, and last I heard, D2D wasn't taking new publishers at this very moment??? Someone posted that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
TexasGirl said:
I know you CAN go free with Smash and D2D, but will they go up by tomorrow? That's the OP issue. Only the direct uploads will be that fast, I'm betting.

Smash is definitely not that fast, and last I heard, D2D wasn't taking new publishers at this very moment??? Someone posted that.
Correct. You can bet that they will NOT go up on other retailers by tomorrow.

TexasGirl said:
How widely was this out? Did you pay for ads, submit to lots of sites? If so, I'd honor it, yank the book from other retailers, and put it in Select. Like, now.

But if you were just doing it on your own site or to your own fans, head over to Smashwords, put it up there if you haven't already, then either make it free there or generate a coupon to make it free. Then link everyone to there or publicize the coupon.


You can also go free on Kobo instantly, as well as iTunes if you put it up direct (not through another site like Smash, Lulu or D2D) and already have the book up. Price changes go through fast.

Just not Amazon or BN. Those are not easy venues to be free.

Good luck.
Extremely good advice.

Bolding added.
 
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everyone,

Just an update on my (failed) free offer:

1. I unplublished from Smashwords but not in time to make it free on the 13th as disclosed in several websites
2. Although it was not free, the simple fact of being mentioned in some facebook pages and emails led to about 150 sales in 5 days
3. My take is that people saw the book, thought it might be interesting and had no problem paying 0,99 USD for it
4. It's now two days since it's been on sale for 2,99 USD and sales have started decreasing but are still around 10 per day
5. About 10% of the purchases were returned. I think that most of them are from people that pressed a button thinking it was free and then returned the book

I'm sorry for the confusion, and will join KDP very soon to make a proper giving. What do you think is the best option: using the 5 days in a row or splitting?

Tks everyone for the help,

Filipa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,641 Posts
Plan for it to be a two or three day free run. If it's not going well, stop it and save the other days. If it is going well (you're rising up the top 100 free), then do the full five.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top