Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just returned from a weekend trip where my spouse spent time on the road reading her Kindle. The second day, she noticed that the battery was very low so I retrieved the cable and plugged into the USB socket on the car. When she tried to return to her book, she got the message(not word for word) that if she wanted to continue reading, she would have to "eject" the Kindle from the computer.

I don't know what that means. Admittedly, I'm not very computer literate, but unless plugging the charge cable into the USB port is the same as plugging into a computer, I'm stumped. Our only solution was to turn off the Kindle and let the charger do its' thing. After about a half hour, the device was charged enough that she could unplug and continue reading. Not very convenient.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
It sounds like the Kindle thought it was plugged into a computer. You said that you plugged it into the USB socket in the car. If you have a lighter socket, try getting an adapter for it with a micro-USB end that will plug into the Kindle and see if that behaves differently. The Kindle might interpret the second set-up as more of a "charging" thing than a "plugged into computer" thing.
FWIW I have also charged mine on the road from one of my many battery packs.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
USB ports on cars are typically configured to play music from an iThingee or phone, to display a phone's screen on the car's touchscreen for control of the phone and use for navigation, etc. Smart appliances, including a Kindle, plugged into the car's USB port are, in fact, plugged into a computer.

@Andra 's suggestion to use a lighter socket as a power source is excellent. These are dumb ports which only supply power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts