Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my mom is looking for a good long book. I'm trying to find something for her with a good story but everything I suggest is not quite her style. So maybe you guys can help us out!

This is her list of what she kinda wants the book to be about or along the lines of:

Something like the movie 'the Giant' (with Elizabeth Taylor) or Gone With The wind (that type of feel) maybe an Epic type story

something where the characters grow from young to old and you follow through their life

can be part of a series but doesnt have to be

something long that she can really get into and be a part of and follow with the characters as they grow

So far thats what I'm getting from her and she has me stumped, so your help is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also it doesn't have to be a free or low priced bargain book but would prefer it to be Kindleized

and not neccasrily a classic ...thanks again!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
These don't quite fit her criteria, but they are at least suggestions. Has she read Pride and Prejudice or The Thorn Birds? Both are wonderful, in my opinion. (She's probably already read those, but P&P is one of my very favorite books of all time, given the fact that I'm an incurable romantic.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I realize that I'm not really suggesting epics, but has she read The Prince of Tides, by Pat Conroy? It's a beautifully written book.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cindy416 said:
These don't quite fit her criteria, but they are at least suggestions. Has she read Pride and Prejudice or The Thorn Birds? Both are wonderful, in my opinion. (She's probably already read those, but P&P is one of my very favorite books of all time, given the fact that I'm an incurable romantic.
Thank You so much, Yes these are both exactly what she is looking for. Only problem was she has already read those 2.

But both of those are exactly the type of books she's looking for and she actually mentioned the Thorn Birds and said, "I want something along lines like that."

Thanks for your help, we are appreciating the suggestions!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Sounds like James Michener's historical novels would be a good fit, but after a quick search at Amazon it does not appear any are Kindle-ized yet. :(

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NogDog said:
Sounds like James Michener's historical novels would be a good fit, but after a quick search at Amazon it does not appear any are Kindle-ized yet. :(
She's still hoping for a kindle version, but at this point I'm willing to drive to Barnes and Noble if it will help her make a choice tonight!! LOL I'm trying to be patient and find her a good read.

This is why I make sure my TBR list always stays VERY long! I hate running into this problem

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
koolmnbv said:
Forster, she read a description on this one and likes the sounds of it! Do you know if this book is a series? Someone mentioned the prodigal daughter and also shall we tell the president? Should they be read in a specific order?
Not a series so no particular order to read them in, but all his books are good. One of my wife's favorite authors.

Edit:
I take that back, the prodigal daughter is a sequel to Kane and Abel, but IMO they can be read on their own.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forster said:
Not a series so no particular order to read them in, but all his books are good. One of my wife's favorite authors.
But both of the other books (prodigal daughter, and Shall we tell the president) has the same characters.

She just bought Kane and Abel so she will start with that regardless of the other books. But we just wanted to make sure if theirs other to follow up with and in what order.

But thanks so much for the suggestion, it led to a purchase and I'm sure she will love it!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:)thanks forster I just noticed your update/edit. Thanks for the added info

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Let me know if she liked it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another suggestion to put on your list....Judith McNaught.  Paradise was my absolute favorite and also Whitney, My Love which has a sequel.  Unfortunately not on Kindle list, but JM has one other on Kindle list...Every Breath You take.  I'm going to give this one a try.

Also Olivia Goldsmith, First Wives Club, but not many of her's on Kindle, but a good read.

Kathleen Woodwiss, who is on Kindle, has some good stories--few "romance" scenes, but not too bad as a lot of current books!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just finished , which would seem to fulfill her requirements for an "epic novel". If she likes that, there is a sequel which commences a couple hundred years after the end of the first novel:

Given that the DTV of each book is right around 1000 pages, they should keep her busy for a bit (although, I finished the first in just a little over a week).

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
O.K. if she's looking Epic, she should try In Her Name (omnibus edition). It takes a boy from age 7 or so through kidnapping, into adulthood, and finally. . . .well, not going to give it away. It's just that the time period is the future and some of the characters are not human.

Another quirky 'life story' is The Time Traveler's Wife: though it does not appear to be Kindled.

There's also The Thirteenth Tale: which is an elderly author's life story told through the eyes of the young girl she has chosen to write her authorized biography. Excellently written; beautiful use of language.

Also good is Ahab's Wife: You've heard of Captain Ahab, of Moby Dick fame; this is about his wife. . . .

None of these are exactly what you describe, but I like those kind of books, too, and I really enjoyed all of these as well.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Did she find one yet?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
might be a good choice. It is a story that follows two cousins from girlhood to adulthood as they try to figue out a mystery in their family's past. Alas, not Kindle-ized.

Also by the same author: which is Kindle-ized. This is based on The Mahabharat, a Hindu epic.

And, I haven't red this one yet, but I am wondering if may fit the bill also. Kindle-ized and probaly free from FeedBooks or something similar. Maybe somebody who has read it can comment?

N :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts