Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Kindle and have not downloaded a book yet.  I don't know how! ( That is embarrassing to admit  :-[ )  On Oprahs site she has Suze Orman's book for download.  I have Vista..It says to right click...choose save as target..then I have to choose a target...my computer comes up with Adobe.  Will that work or do I have to choose something else?  And then, I know this sounds stupid, how do I get it on my Kindle?  Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
There are no embarrassing questions here Molly, we all learn from each other. I don't have a clue how to download a book either because I have only used WN so see you aren't alone.  ;)

You will get a quick answer because there are many people here that know how to do this.
Feel free to ask anything,
Linda

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Yes, it's a PDF file, so Adobe reader is the right program.  I don't know if sending it to Amazon will work for converting it to the Kindle, as it's a copyrighted book.

Betsy

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have downloaded the book to my computer as a pdf file.  Do I now email to my amazon kindle email address?  If I do where will it show up?  On my kindle or in my email somewhere?  Oh so confusing. 

·
Registered
860 Posts
I too was wondering how to get this book on my Kindle or if it's even possible.  So far I've only downloaded books wirelessly with many from mnybks.net.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You can send to amazon just like any other pdf file. People have already done it on the amazon.com forums.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
When your computer asks you to choose a target, it wants to know where you want to put the file on your hard drive, and what you want to call it.

To have Amazon convert the PDF to an Amazon e-book, you need to email the PDF file to your Kindle. If this is the first time you have done so, you need to go into your Amazon.com account ->Manage Your Kindle to do two things:

1. Get the email address of your Kindle.
2. Add your email address to a list of approved addresses that your Kindle can receive email from.

Circled in the picture below are the email addresses to my two Kindles, and below that are the two email addresses that the Kindles will accept email from. Where the arrow points is where you can add additional email addresses.

Once you have that done, just send an email with your PDF file attached to you Kindle's email address. Turn on WhisperNet on your Kindle, and it should only take a few short minutes for your converted file to appear on your Kindle.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That was easy.  I just downloaded my first PDF. :)

I was digging through the old threads looking for info and getting more confused.  I can't keep straight which files I have to convert and which I can just send. This thread makes it so easy.

Could we change the Subject line on this thread to...
HELP...How to download a PDF book or file

I just think it would be easier for others to find.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pidgeon,  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I followed your instructions and I had the book on my Kindle in just a minute.  It was so easy!  I feel so much more confident now about learning the other functions on my Kindle.  Is this how I will download books from other sites too?  I am excited now!! 

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Mollyb52 said:
Pidgeon, Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I followed your instructions and I had the book on my Kindle in just a minute. It was so easy! I feel so much more confident now about learning the other functions on my Kindle. Is this how I will download books from other sites too? I am excited now!!
I told you we had some intelligent, computer guru's here Molly. I am happy you are excited!

Linda

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sebat,  I changed it.  I hope it helps when others search for it.  I know I looked too and could not understand some things I found.  Pidgeon's instructions were perfect for someone who has never done it before.  I printed it out so I will have it on hand if I ever forget.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mollyb52 said:
Pidgeon, Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I followed your instructions and I had the book on my Kindle in just a minute. It was so easy! I am excited now!!
In complete agreement here. Thank you, Pidgeon! It was pretty exciting to get my first pdf file. Although I wish I would have renamed it before I sent it.

I'm not expecting perfection from a free book but there were no chapters. Is this something I did wrong or is that the way a converted PDF file converts? Or maybe the original file didn't have chapters?

In short, can I fix it? Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KindleMom,  I also wish I would have renamed it.  But I made a note of it and will change the name next time I download.  I also have chapters listed but cannot access them with the wheel.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Mollyb52 said:
sebat, I changed it. I hope it helps when others search for it. I know I looked too and could not understand some things I found. Pidgeon's instructions were perfect for someone who has never done it before. I printed it out so I will have it on hand if I ever forget.
Now we don't have to open the thread to know what's in it.

KindleMom said:
I'm not expecting perfection from a free book but there were no chapters. Is this something I did wrong or is that the way a converted PDF file converts? Or maybe the original file didn't have chapters?

In short, can I fix it? Thanks!
I think you would probably have to purchase the book to get the chapter links. You can navigate the book by clicking on the dotted line at the bottom. It won't give you chapters but % of the book. As I'm reading I will probably make a note or bookmark as I get to each chapter. That will allow me to get back to it quickly.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks, sebat.  I think I'll do the bookmark thing too.  I've done that with other free books and so don't mind but was wondering if I could do something different to make this book more user-friendly.  I'm glad to know that I haven't done anything wrong.  Except renaming the file I sent to my Kindle.  :p

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
KindleMom said:
Thanks, sebat. I think I'll do the bookmark thing too. I've done that with other free books and so don't mind but was wondering if I could do something different to make this book more user-friendly. I'm glad to know that I haven't done anything wrong. Except renaming the file I sent to my Kindle. :p
I decided to go the note route. I can actually list it as Chapter 1,2,3,etc.. I think I like that better.

You can then go to... Menu...My Notes & Marks...all the highlights are broken down by chapter.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
KindleMom said:
Although I wish I would have renamed it before I sent it.
No reason you couldn't rename the file and send it to your Kindle again.

Not surprised that the chapter breakdown is not there. If it's really important to you, there are other applications where you can do it manually, but I myself would not bother.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
I finally tried sending out documents. Just sent my pdfs out. has anyone been charged for converting files yet?

Just got them
It's only a dime a file if they charge us. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting charged though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts