Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kindle 2.
It used to always automatically  make a bookmark when I turned it off. I didn’t have to go to the command to add a bookmark. it just did it automatically whenever I turned it off.
now it seems to not do that anymore.
I have tried to research what to do but don’t see any help anywhere on that issue.
so before I close it off I have to go to add a bookmark and manually add one.
but now I find that when I turn it back on, after manually adding a bookmark, it still brings me back the same way to the beginning of the book. This is so aggravating.
How do I fix this?
can anyone help?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I am sure someone will answer you quickly, sorry I can't I have a K1.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I've never had that happen. I didn't think that it automatically added a bookmark, but it does save your place. Do you have the whispernet on? If so, is someone else on your account reading the same book? It may be taking you to the last place someone else has read to.

·
Registered
711 Posts
barcann said:
I have a Kindle 2.
It used to always automatically make a bookmark when I turned it off. I didn't have to go to the command to add a bookmark. it just did it automatically whenever I turned it off.
now it seems to not do that anymore.
I have tried to research what to do but don't see any help anywhere on that issue.
so before I close it off I have to go to add a bookmark and manually add one.
but now I find that when I turn it back on, after manually adding a bookmark, it still brings me back the same way to the beginning of the book. This is so aggravating.
How do I fix this?
can anyone help?
Thanks
If you let your Kindle ( k1 or k2?) go to sleep, then it will save your place in the book. If you turn it off (no screensaver, nothing) then it will not save your place in the book unless you go to the home menu before shutting off the kindle.

x_X; does that make sense? If you just let it go to sleep you'll be ok, but if you want to turn the whole thing off, then you have to go to the home menu to before turning it off the kindle to save your space.

Hope it helped!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Anarel said:
If you let your Kindle ( k1 or k2?) go to sleep, then it will save your place in the book. If you turn it off (no screensaver, nothing) then it will not save your place in the book unless you go to the home menu before shutting off the kindle.

x_X; does that make sense? If you just let it go to sleep you'll be ok, but if you want to turn the whole thing off, then you have to go to the home menu to before turning it off the kindle to save your space.

Hope it helped!
That's odd ... I've shut my K2 off many times without going back to the home menu and when I decide to turn it back on, it is right back to where I last left it.
It has happened on occasion where I will do exactly that and it will not go back to the page I was currently on, it will go to the beginning or menu (I can't remember), so I have to search for my page. For those books, if I go to the home screen before shutting off it will save my last read page perfectly when I go to turn it back on and click on the book.

I've found this to occur only on a few select books (one of them being The Pluto Files). I figured it was just an issue with the book itself. I thought some books were like that but most weren't.

Am I wrong? Is my K2 fritzy?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm pretty sure that certain books have their own criteria when it comes to this. Though, I'm not 100% sure, I think that's what's happening. I never turn my KDX off, so it's always on sleep mode and when I wake it, it goes right back to where I last left off.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I always make a bookmark whenever I put the K1 down for any reason.  It just makes good sense.  In a DTB you use a book mark, drop the book, lose your place, this way no matter what happens you have your place marked.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I never turn my Kindle off (always just let it go to sleep) so I haven't ran into this problem.

Also anytime in any book I have read so far everytime I let it sleep it always remembers the page I was on and brings me right back there when I wake the kindle. Even if I have switched books.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I've read so many members who just put their Kindle on sleep mode and never turn it off. Is it better to do this? I always turn mine off. Is it just a preference thing?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I don't know, they claim that putting it to sleep saves battery, I haven't really noticed that since I started  doing it instead of turning it off.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I used to turn my KK off, but with the K2 I use sleep mode.  I can't find the post off hand, but I seem to recall a discussion on the Amazon boards, including a CS response, which indicated that sleep mode was better than turning the K2 off completely.

I guess if I knew I wouldn't be using my K2 for a few weeks I'd turn it off completely, but if I know I'm going to pick it up in the next day or so I just put it to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
AddieLove said:
I've read so many members who just put their Kindle on sleep mode and never turn it off. Is it better to do this? I always turn mine off. Is it just a preference thing?
There's no real need to turn it off because of the way e-ink works. The display only draws power when you 'turn a page'. So sleep with a picture showing or off with nothing showing is the same. And e-ink doesn't burn in so that's not a concern.

Now, off, I think, also means WN is off, which would tend to conserve power if you usually leave WN on. . . .but, of course, you can turn WN off and leave it asleep. Power consumption is the same either way.

It is true, however, that indexing will continue while the K is asleep and not while it is off. If you have recently downloaded several books, it might a good idea to leave it asleep so it can get the indexing done. Otherwise, it might try to do it while you're reading and response may be slower or the K could freeze from trying to do too much at once.

Oh, and indexing does also use some power but it only becomes a problem if you download a LOT of new content in a relatively short period of time. In that case you might want to leave it asleep and plugged in so it can work away unbothered.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Ah. I always thought I was being smart by turning it off instead of just putting it in sleep mode.
That'll teach me.  :)
Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely start putting my K2 in sleep mode since I like the screen saver better than the blank screen and I read so often anyway (that is when I'm not here).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts