Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am one of those "waiting for my dear kindle to arrive" newbies. I have been faithfully reading all of the posts everyday to learn everything that I can before the "big day". I have been seeing several posts regarding a Kindle2 version.

I ordered my kindle on Dec. 11th. It still shows a ship date of March 3rd to March 16th, although new orders show shipping of 3 to 5 weeks.

Is this Kindle2 a definite or is it speculation? I know there is to be some sort of announcement on February 9th and on some posts I get the impression that it is a "done deal".

I guess I am just wondering what this will mean to me and my kindle on order. Will they ship the one I have on order anyway or will I have an opportunity, before shipping to possibly upgrade? I don't know what the new one (speculated new one?) will offer and if it would be worth purchasing. I think I would like to the have the newest version just for support reasons, etc. If it ships out b4 any announcements, will I still have time to send it back for an upgrade?

These are just a few of the dilemmas I am having. Just wondering if anyone else is feeling the same?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
dpd346 said:
Hello all,
I am one of those "waiting for my dear kindle to arrive" newbies. I have been faithfully reading all of the posts everyday to learn everything that I can before the "big day". I have been seeing several posts regarding a Kindle2 version.

I ordered my kindle on Dec. 11th. It still shows a ship date of March 3rd to March 16th, although new orders show shipping of 3 to 5 weeks.

Is this Kindle2 a definite or is it speculation? I know there is to be some sort of announcement on February 9th and on some posts I get the impression that it is a "done deal".

I guess I am just wondering what this will mean to me and my kindle on order. Will they ship the one I have on order anyway or will I have an opportunity, before shipping to possibly upgrade? I don't know what the new one (speculated new one?) will offer and if it would be worth purchasing. I think I would like to the have the newest version just for support reasons, etc. If it ships out b4 any announcements, will I still have time to send it back for an upgrade?

These are just a few of the dilemmas I am having. Just wondering if anyone else is feeling the same?

Despite all appearances to the contrary, any specific information regarding February 9th is just speculation and assumption. Amazon has not released any information beyond the simple fact that there will be a press conference.

If (and this is only an "if") they release a new Kindle, I'm sure that those on hold for the old one will be given an option as to whether they want the old one (if Amazon is still making them) or a new one or whether they want to cancel their order.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
It is pure speculation right now.

The following is pure speculation as well (grins)

If K2 is announced on the 9th, you will probably given the option of upgrading to K2 and being at the first of that line or keeping the K1 you ordered. If you choose to upgrade, you would have to pay the difference between the two.

I would keep your place in line and see what happens.

And practice deep breathing. Lots of deep breathing. Maybe a cup of tea and a scone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for some clarification....and the breathing advice! I feel like I have been holding my breath for almost 2 months and I can't take it anymore! lol

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
dpd346 said:
Thanks for some clarification....and the breathing advice! I feel like I have been holding my breath for almost 2 months and I can't take it anymore! lol

You have outstanding lung capacity. ;D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
dpd346 said:

Seriously, try some nice green tea. We have an entire topic obsessing over tea and coffee. A nice cup of tea and a scone does wonders for helping people calm down.

mwvickers said:
You have outstanding lung capacity. ;D
heheheh

I

·
0 Posts
IF(yes, the big if again) they do offer you a Kindle 2.0 do not get all excited. Be sure to check the specifications and compare them with the Kindle 1. The changes may or may not be worth the extra money.

I suspect, that no matter what they say next week, the Kindles will soon be flowing again.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Vampyre said:
IF(yes, the big if again) they do offer you a Kindle 2.0 do not get all excited. Be sure to check the specifications and compare them with the Kindle 1. The changes may or may not be worth the extra money.

I suspect, that no matter what they say next week, the Kindles will soon be flowing again.
100% agree. You may have to decide what features are most important for you and figure out which Kindle best fits your needs. For example, if the K2 has international whispernet but no memory card you have to decide which feature is more important to you. If you rarely travel outside the US, then international whispernet might not be all that important to you while carrying thousands of free books on a memory card might be more important for you.

I fear that some folks are going to assume that the K2 (if it is announced) is automatically better then the K1 when that might not be the case.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
IMHO Whispernet is fine, but overrated - I can get my books via computer "almost" as fast, I say almost because when I get from a site other than Amazon it might take 2 minutes instead of one and I might have to send to Amazon to convert.  I then have all my books on my computer and don't have to worry about them disappearing.  I did use WN at the Houston AP once and it took a lot longer than I thought it should, but then it has been a long while since I have been NOB to use it again.  Cards are important, and I wouldn't mind being able to put my read books and some day read books somewhere other than in "home" - but I can live with that.  V1 does what I want it to - acts as a book.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The only time that I was thrilled to have whispernet was when I was in an airport and wanted a book. Other then that, Iknow that I can easily enough download books using the usb cable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
As... a lot of us are waiting for out Kindles to arrive, I think we will need to turn to you experts on Kindle.
Because how can we newbies gage, any changes made to K2, as viable needed upgrades, we have never had experienced K1.

So if indeed K2 does come out, and we have a choice, I will be watching this board, for a direction in how to choose!

·
Registered
771 Posts
My concern is that K1 might not be available. IF indeed, K2 is in the pipeline, I doubt that they will continue to make or market K1. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
sem said:
My concern is that K1 might not be available. IF indeed, K2 is in the pipeline, I doubt that they will continue to make or market K1. Just a thought.
Unless the new Kindle is targeted to a more specific market, like business and educational use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts