Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s here! I’m so thrilled, but I have a problem right off the bat.  Given that I am such a newbie, I’m hoping it is user error and that someone can help me out.  I can’t connect! I get the message “Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time, please try again later.” I tried “buying” a free book via the computer, and Amazon indicated that it had gone through and would be on my Kindle, but that didn’t work either (same message when I asked Kindle to check for new items).  I did check coverage before I bought this, and hubby has a Sprint phone which works just fine here, so I don’t get it.  ??? Help!

I did try the wonderful search function before posting but didn't find anything to help with this. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Congratulations! Welcome to your new Kindle!

People have reported periodic outages of the Whispernet service. That happened to me once. I'd suggest leaving the Whispernet on for the moment and see if it downloads within the next hour or so. If not, you might want to give customer service a call. That's my advice. Others?

L

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Go to 'Manage my Kindle' and make sure it's registered.  It should be if you bought it from Amazon but it doesn't hurt to check.

Assuming it's registered, do make sure the whispernet switch is ON.  (Yeah, I know, but really, it could have gotten switched off accidentally)

If both switches are on but there are no bars, you might try a reset.  Soft reset is ALT, UP ARROW, R -- press all three keys at the same time with both switches on.  It'll reset and anything waiting should download.

If none of that works, then probably whispernet is just down in your area.  You might contact Amazon to see if they have any suggestions.

Good Luck!

Ann

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I tried everything I could think of and finally called support.  After trying a few things, she figured out that it was not “completely” registered.  I was confused about that myself because according to the web site it is registered, but the Kindle itself continues to show “My Kindle.” Apparently this is a problem their end and is as a result of “so many being sold.” Anyway, they are working on it, but I have to wait until it is fixed, at which time she will email me.  I hope it’s soon. She told me I can’t even put books on there via the USB lead because it’s not properly registered, so I am left with the riveting user manual for reading material for now. LOL! 

Anyway, I thought I’d let you know what the problem was in case any other newbies have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thanks for the update, Scooter. That's good to know. WestPoint John, are you reading this? Could this be what's going on with your account?

L

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s working!  :) Oh joy! I’m a happy camper.  I saw that the connection had returned but still had to mess about a bit—registering “another” Kindle then deregistering the original, but it’s all okay now.  Just spent the last 20 minutes downloading samples and freebies. I work full time and go to school—methinks this might not have been the best time to give myself permission for “fun” reading.  Oh well. I don’t care.  So there. LOL!  Thanks again, all. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Scooter said:
It's working! :) Oh joy! I'm a happy camper. I saw that the connection had returned but still had to mess about a bit-registering "another" Kindle then deregistering the original, but it's all okay now. Just spent the last 20 minutes downloading samples and freebies. I work full time and go to school-methinks this might not have been the best time to give myself permission for "fun" reading. Oh well. I don't care. So there. LOL! Thanks again, all.
Wonderful, Scooter. Glad to hear everything is working!

You'll find free minutes you never knew existed that are perfect for Kindle reading...

L

1 - 7 of 7 Posts