Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Kindle 3 wifi/3g about 3 months ago. 2 weeks ago I noticed that if I press down on the "frame" area around the screen near the page turning buttons on the right side, that it appears as if the glue is not quite tight? Sometimes it makes a pop noise like it will stick and then wont move again until I use it again. I know this sounds confusing, but I dont know, it seems like the glue holding the area I mentioned is not quite sealed properly. Should I call customer service? I bought this particular Kindle from Bonanzle (kind of like ebay) and so I am not sure what they will say? My k2 never had this problem. Has anyone else noticed this before?

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I got my first K3 with the initial release, late August. It had that same area on the right side. I kept pressing down, it kept popping up. It was a pretty large area in my case. I ended up getting a replacement, which had to be replace 2 more times for other issues.  :D. I can tell you that all 4 of the K3, counting the replacements, had some sort of slim area at some part so the frame where it wasn't completely flush. But none were as bad as the first one with the popping sound. The one I ended up keeping has a area on the left, but it doesn't pop, its just not level with the surface.

It stayed the same though and never got worse in almost a year now.

You can always call them up and see what they say. Call Kindle customer service though, not Amazon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one. I got such a fantastic deal on the kindle ($75). I guess maybe that's why she sold it? Although I highly doubt it because the kindle was like brand new and the frame was perfect when I got it (trust me I inspected it thouroughly, LOL). I really wonder if this problem is because the frame is so thin compared to the K2?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
There does seem to be some sort of design flaw that leads to this "behavior". Mine does it a little bit, but as it's always in my Javoedge cover (which has a sort of internal pouch that holds the Kindle in the case), I rarely notice it any more.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Maybe its a issue with the glue used. Not enough in areas, I don't know. When I look close at my frame there is the plastic on top, then a thin sheet of metal under that before it hits the reading surface. So maybe if the sheet underneath is not put on right, it starts warping the rest. Or a pressure issue.
Mine didn't get worse, but it could be that the glue eventually lost its sticking power from heat or just time. You can always call them to see what they say.

If you don't get anywhere with them, I guess one could try to carefully squeeze some superglue under the frame with a very thin noozle, but put masking tape on the reading surface first. Or cover it with a screen protector.

But do try the phone first.  ;D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Kindle Support and they are sending a replacement Kindle to me. This is the first time I have ever called for any issues with a Kindle I own (I have a K2 now for 2 years) and they were just wonderful!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got my replacement today, and it seems as thought I will be calling again today. The frame on the replacement is worse than the one I already have.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Oh no, so sorry.  :(. yes try again. Like I said, I had 4 total including replacements and all of those had some sort of that issue. I had other issues though for the actual replacements.

I know though that others do not have this issue at all, so there are kindles out there that are flush all around. Lets hope you get lucky with #3.  :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Atunah said:
Oh no, so sorry. :(. yes try again. Like I said, I had 4 total including replacements and all of those had some sort of that issue. I had other issues though for the actual replacements.

I know though that others do not have this issue at all, so there are kindles out there that are flush all around. Lets hope you get lucky with #3. :)
Thanks Atunah! This is why I love the Kindleboards. Everyone here is so positive and supporting! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I thought I would update again and say that Kindle customer service is as always outstanding. They will be overnighting yet another Kindle to replace my somewhat not-so-perfect kindle. I thought it was funny that the rep had no idea that this was ever an issue...oh well, LOL! He did, however, give me a $20 promotional credit just for my troubles, and said to call back if there were anymore issues. I really hope that the 3rd time is a charm!  :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts