Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm freaking out! After my laptop updated itself...it went to restart, but it failed to start up!! Any suggestions??? its a HP dv6000. Its stores ALL my school notes, which I never got to backing up.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
I'm freaking out! After my laptop updated itself...it went to restart, but it failed to start up!! Any suggestions??? its a HP dv6000. Its stores ALL my school notes, which I never got to backing up.
What was your brother doing at the time? ;D ;D

There are many others here who are much more knowledgeable than I am. So I will leave them to help you.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Does the school have a tech department. . .when my son was in college there was a place they could go or call to get computer tech support. 

Is it plugged in. . . battery could be low. . . .plug it in for an hour or so and then try to start it up. . .

Wish I could suggest more. . . .good luck. . .

Ann

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Relax, plug it in, and try again. No matter what is wrong, your data is still there.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
Does the school have a tech department. . .when my son was in college there was a place they could go or call to get computer tech support.

Is it plugged in. . . battery could be low. . . .plug it in for an hour or so and then try to start it up. . .

Wish I could suggest more. . . .good luck. . .

Ann
Thanks for reminding me. Searching for the number now!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Do you have the orginial restore disk available? One other thing to try, shut your computer down completely and remove the battery. Leave out for 5 minutes and put back in. Wait a few minutes before putting back in. Try a hard reset and see if that works. Some times it just gets caught in a spot and the logic doesn't work. If that doesn't work I would call CS.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Pull the battery out for a minute. Put it back in, plug it in and try again.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes! I remembered my high school friend works for GeekSqaud and got some suggestions from him. Seems that I could do a Complete PC restore and if I don't do the reformat option my files will still be there....the thing is that I need my vista restore disk, which is MIA since this laptop was a hand me down.
So now I know...when receiving a hand me down computer (no matter how new) make sure to get all the paper work and disks.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
What, exactly, is happening when you try to boot?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
goes from loading page to startup repair. Startup repair fails. goes to recovery options. don't have backup disc or recovery points
Still no progress. I don't mind cleaning my disc and having to reload my programs....I just want my doc. files and pictures before I clean it.

PS: mom and dad aren't mad at me for this (thanks goodness). appears that the update that occurred didn't work as it was supposed to.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
goes from loading page to startup repair. Startup repair fails. goes to recovery options. don't have backup disc or recovery points
If you're having HD errors, then try getting Spinright if you have access to a working compter: http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

If you know any tech geeks, ask then if they own the program and can run it on your system.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
VA--

did you try a safe restart?  You said you were using Vista?

* Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
    * Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    * Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
    * Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    * When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

This bypasses a lot of the drivers; there may be a conflict.  You can see if it works.  If it does, you should be able to get to the stuff on the hard drive.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thejackylking said:
Here is your first problem.
Yep. I read the articles yesterday and was shocked. It explained my sometimes issues with my wireless. I may send my laptop soo since the extended warranty ends in three weeks.

Betsy the Quilter said:
VA--

did you try a safe restart? You said you were using Vista?

* Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
* When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

This bypasses a lot of the drivers; there may be a conflict. You can see if it works. If it does, you should be able to get to the stuff on the hard drive.

Betsy
Thanks tried it, but no go.

This morning at 3 o'clock I did come across HP's Recovery Manager and was able to retrieve my files and creating a backup. The back up, which I put on my new 8 gb USB and the desktop.
Since I got my files back. I may be doing a disc clean up and go back to the factory settings and reload my files and programs back on to my laptop. If anything else goes bad.....I'll be back. I can't wait to get off the desktop.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
I always feel that the best way to prevent catastrophic failure of a computing device, is to religiously perform regular backups. The week you forget, it dies. . . . . . :)

Glad you were able to get your files back. . . .sounds like you should give that laptop to your brother and con ask your parents to assist in the purchase of a new one.

Ann

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
I always feel that the best way to prevent catastrophic failure of a computing device, is to religiously perform regular backups. The week you forget, it dies. . . . . . :)

Glad you were able to get your files back. . . .sounds like you should give that laptop to your brother and con ask your parents to assist in the purchase of a new one.

Ann
Good idea! Been itching to get:

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Well as the parent of a former college student. . .who graduated cum laude, by the way. . .I believe that it is Very Important for a student to have proper equipment so as to be able to do as well in her studies as possible.  The student ought to have a computer that will run the programs she needs and will last the full 4 years of her college career.  Purchasing new, especially purchasing through the College or University, ensures longevity of the hardware, and access to tech support if needed while away from home.  In return, the student must promise to study hard and do her best so that the parents do not feel like they've wasted their money.

There's your argument. . .go for it!  :)

Ann

1 - 20 of 22 Posts