Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Living room.  Den is also good, especially if the house has multiple common area rooms. 

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Living room.

A lounge used to be a club where people would have drinks and listen to music, sometimes attached to a hotel, like in Las Vegas. I don't know if anybody uses that word anymore in the USA except in old movies.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HAGrant said:
Living room.

A lounge used to be a club where people would have drinks and listen to music, sometimes attached to a hotel, like in Las Vegas. I don't know if anybody uses that word anymore in the USA except in old movies.
Thanks everyone. This really helps.

We use lounge or living room in the UK, or front room too. I know, weird.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Living room or if it's an open floor plan with vaulted ceilings, the living room could be called the great room. A den can also be called a bonus room, similar to a bedroom in design, but not used for sleeping. In my house, the den is the only room with tongue and groove wood walls and ceiling and is where the fireplace is located. It's also where I write.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Growing up, my mom called the room for company the living room and we weren't supposed to live there.  Ever.  Where the TV was, was the den.

These days, I think most people call it the family room although I do know a few who call it the great room.  If it's over the garage, it might be the bonus room, but I think that's mostly a real estate reference.  I don't know anyone who actually calls that "the bonus room."  You also might see it referred to as a FROG- family room over garage, but again just in real estate listings.

The lounge is a 70's style bar or an older bathroom that had a sitting room attached.  The ladies lounge might have uphostered chairs and a mirror or two in it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I call both common spaces in our house that has a couch and chairs the living room. My husband gives me a very hard time because he says that one of the rooms- the one with the TV in it- is the den. It's been argued about more than once in our household. LOL.

·
Registered
262 Posts
One other thing to take into account: the US is huge and has regional differences for everything. If your story is set in the US, where is it set?

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Living room here in Texas. 
Or the front room.
Some houses here also have dens but they are big rooms that were usually added on later.  Generally where the tv was located.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Living room is a formal room no one sits up much here in the Midwest. The room where you actually relax and live is the family room, unless like someone else mentioned, the whole main area is wide open to the kitchen and eating area. Then it would be the great room.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Here in the USA, at least the midwest, rumpus rooms were in the 1950's and 60's. They were basement rooms dedicated to kid's playspace. They gradually gave way to downstairs bars and entertainmentrooms in the basement...which I always hated. Why invite guests over and take them to the basement? I don't care how nice it is, it's still a basement. To me it's saying "You aren't quite important enough to sit in our best rooms." Now most people have family rooms or a great room on the main floor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts