Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am trying to choose a narrator for my book; I narrowed it down to two - one male, one female.  I'm having a tough time deciding on which to use.  I am a male, and the book is a theological book, not a novel.  The man is probably better suited to this, but I find myself liking a female voice as it is less reverberant and more soothing, though this is a serious book.  It's 14 hrs, so I'm nervous about selecting wrong.  I myself don't want to listen to 14 hrs of something not ideal.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Sorry, I'm usually not this indecisive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is your audience male, female, or mixed.  If male, I'd find a male voice I enjoyed hearing, same for female audience.  If mixed, it probably matters less, as long as you find a comforting and soothing voice.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do you have samples that you can get friends or family to listen to?  I'd think that just having more ears might help you, and somebody else might be able to sum up why they like one or another.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I'd look at popular books in your niche (Amazon's list of top 100 best selling theological books) and go with the norm there.

If there is no clear norm, as boxer44 says above, I'd consider whether your audience is more male or female, and choose based on that.

If your audience is equally mixed, I'd default to your own gender, because it may be the closest match to your "voice" (style) as a writer. (I know that isn't the case for every writer, but I feel like it is more often than not.)

Whatever you do, aim for a narrator who will be pleasant to listen to for hours. If you want a male and don't think yours is quite right, you can browse the narrators on ACX, listen to their samples, and invite more of them to audition so you have more choices. You probably already know this, but you don't have to limit yourself to the narrators who find your posted project, it's fine to approach others and send them an invitation to audition. That's how I found my first narrator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts