Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I broke my 3g keyboard and need a replacement.   Should I go with another 3G keyboard or the fire hd?  I know most here in this section still use the e-ink.  I just don't know what to do.  I am sad that I broke my kindle and want a new one right away.  Any Help is appreciated. Also is there a glare when reading from the fire?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,394 Posts
First: is it, by chance, still under warranty?  If so, I suggest you contact Amazon; they may replace it even if the breakage is. . .we'll say 'user induced'. ::)  Doesn't hurt to ask, anyway, and if not, they may still offer a discount on a replacement.

If you mostly expect to just read, you'll probably be happier with eInk than a Fire.  But if you want some greater versatility, the Fire might be a better choice -- it's a more multi-purpose device.

My Opinion (and only my opinion): If you want eInk, I think the PW is the best option

BUT if you want/need a keyboard, want/need Text to Speech, DON'T want a touch screen, there are other options, of course. All different 'price points', too. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,650 Posts
Simple...If you want to read books on the device, get another Kindle Keyboard (or other eInk Kindle if you prefer).  If you want to surf the net and play games and watch videos, and read an occasional book, and don't mind some more weight and shorter battery life, get the Fire of your choice.  If you want to read a lot of books, AND do all that other stuff, get both!

I have a eink Kindle as well as an ipad for that "other stuff" and am delighted with the arrangement. A Fire would be a good sub for my ipad.  Ann's advice about calling Amazon is good, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try kindle support.  But I think I will use hooded claws advice on wither to get the fire or keyboard.  PW not an option. I forgot about the touch on the fire. Not an option for me at work.  Thank you both for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortantly support couldn't help me. Also the support guy Lied. He said that the keyboard is no longer sold by amazon when I said I was on the website and it was being sold by amazon he said well that is limited and not sold as a replacement I would have to upgrade. I need a non touch screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
We're you talking to Kindle support? (As opposed to regular Amazon support?). Kindle support is much more knowledgeable about Kindle issues, the response sounds more like Amazon CS.

Call 866-321-8851 for Kindle support in the US. 

Having said that, if it's well out of warranty even Kindle support might not be much help, but if you weren't talking to Kindle CS it can't hurt to give them a try.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
kaotickitten said:
Unfortantly support couldn't help me. Also the support guy Lied. He said that the keyboard is no longer sold by amazon when I said I was on the website and it was being sold by amazon he said well that is limited and not sold as a replacement I would have to upgrade. I need a non touch screen.
He probably meant that Kindle Keyboards are no longer being made, rather than sold. I think they are only still selling remaining stock until it runs out but the production of new Keyboards has been discontinued, as evident by the fact that the Wifi-only model hasn't been sold for a while (obviously sold out sooner). Do you have a Wifi-only model? If so, he may have been trying to say that the model you have is no longer sold by Amazon, which would be true. Replacing it with a 3G model would be an upgrade, not a replacement.

If you need a non-touch screen your only options are the 3G Kindle Keyboard or the $69/$89 Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HCCNJU/ref=fs_sz

Do you find you use the keyboard frequently? If not, I'd go for the basic Kindle. Only if you use the keyboard a lot for notes and stuff do you really need the keyboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
Simple...If you want to read books on the device, get another Kindle Keyboard (or other eInk Kindle if you prefer). If you want to surf the net and play games and watch videos, and read an occasional book, and don't mind some more weight and shorter battery life, get the Fire of your choice. If you want to read a lot of books, AND do all that other stuff, get both!

I have a eink Kindle as well as an ipad for that "other stuff" and am delighted with the arrangement. A Fire would be a good sub for my ipad. Ann's advice about calling Amazon is good, too.
Agree 100% for that.

That's the best way to break down the e-ink device vs. tablet.

E-ink if you want something primarily to read on.

Tablet if you want net, video, games, apps etc. and just to ocassionally read books on it.

Both if you want both and can afford both.

I too have a Kindle (PW currently) and an iPad 2 and wouldn't have it any other way. iPad gets used through out the day for a variety of things, PW gets read in bed at night before sleeping, and sometimes on airplanes etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Both!  Variety is the spice of life!  Or...  Depends.  If you see yourself doing more than reading, grab the Fire.  If you just want a good ol' eInk reader, either replace the Keyboard with another Keyboard, or you could make the leap to the Paperwhite.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
I see that your goal for the year is 60 books, quite a few! If I were planning on spending that much time reading, I'd want an e-ink reader. And I'd probably spring for the Paperwhite. Of course, that's just me and you might make a completely different decision and be happy with it. Either way, you can always change your mind and do a return or exchange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
GBear said:
I see that your goal for the year is 60 books, quite a few! If I were planning on spending that much time reading, I'd want an e-ink reader. And I'd probably spring for the Paperwhite. Of course, that's just me and you might make a completely different decision and be happy with it. Either way, you can always change your mind and do a return or exchange.
Also if you use any of the audio features, get a replacement 3G. It is the only ereader left that has audio or text to speech. Not a fact that makes me happy. :-\

I hope whenever they refresh the ereaders, it gets added back. My hope is that audio was left off due to the purchase negotiations for Ivona.

Amazon did make a commitment to the blind, but I can't find the statement anymore.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
A word from the opposite view. I have an original Kindle KB from waaay back in 2010? 2011? Anyway, I also have a Fire HD. The HD has become my reader of choice. I still do some reading on the KKB, but maybe because it's getting a bit old, it doesn't seem to have the contrast it used to (or maybe my eyes just don't see as well :>) The HD in sepia setting is great and I read for hours on it. In addition, I do have the option to do other things with it. Unlike some people, apparently, this is NOT a distraction for me. I just love having the HD to read on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
I love reading on all my devices--iPad, PW, K4, Fire...  even occasionally on my i'Touch in a pinch. I tend to grab whatever is closest. But as a reader, the eInk devices win due to weight and battery life, especially over my Fire which seems to go down really quickly.  I would factor battery life heavily in any decision I made to have only one device.  If, based on the amount of steady reading-only you do in a day, the six-seven hours of battery life on a Fire (if you're lucky), is enough, the Fire may work for you.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
HappyGuy said:
A word from the opposite view. I have an original Kindle KB from waaay back in 2010? 2011? Anyway, I also have a Fire HD. The HD has become my reader of choice. I still do some reading on the KKB, but maybe because it's getting a bit old, it doesn't seem to have the contrast it used to (or maybe my eyes just don't see as well :>) The HD in sepia setting is great and I read for hours on it. In addition, I do have the option to do other things with it. Unlike some people, apparently, this is NOT a distraction for me. I just love having the HD to read on.
I read on my Fire HD as well, I read even more (almost exclusively now) on my iPad Mini. A truly well-designed reading app allows you to customize your font and background colors. My personal preference is black text on gray background for day reading, much like eInk, and gray on black for night. Unfortunately most of the apps tied to bookstores, like Kindle, Nook, Kobo, don't allow that customization. The newish Sony Reader app does, and hopefully Kindle will eventually. My current app preferences for now, though, are Aldiko on the Fire, and Marvin on my Mini.

My main point being, though, that folks often assume reading on a tablet always means bright light shining at you from the tablet, which isn't necessarily true. :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top