Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has always been very thoughtful and generous when giving me gifts.  However, I truly sense he's having a huge problem with the idea of granting me my Kindle wish because he keeps expressing doubts about the launch of Kindle 2.0.

Should we be concerned about buyers' remorse if he gifts me with a Kindle and the new one comes out in early or mid 2009?  If not, how can I convince my Santa?

G

·
I don't see any advantage to waiting for K2.0. No reliable source has published a firm date. Only some vague comment from Bezos that it may come out late next year. By waiting, all you have done is missed KindleJoy for the intervening time, plus the extra money spent on books that could have been saved by buying Kindle versions (which generally run less).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I will also point out that you may not even LIKE the Kindle 2.0. 

All of the (supposedly faked) photos I've seen do NOT impress me at all.  I LIKE my big page turning buttons, they are very convenient and allow me to read with only one hand, for example while eating dinner.  I also like the size, it fits very well into my purse, is lightweight and unobtrusive, and I don't need a bigger, possibly glare-prone screen on it.  I don't need MP3s (which you can currently do anyway) or touch screens or a built-in camera or any one of a dozen supposed improvements.

That's why I bought my husband one last month (arriving in 2 weeks, hooray!), I wanted to make sure he has THIS model, which I like very much.  Not some new upstart "2.0" device that makes so-called "improvements" based on the annoying whiners in the Kindle comments who don't even OWN one.  It's for reading books, for avid readers of books, NOT an iPod replacement, PDA replacement or cell phone replacement!!!  ...sorry, got into rant mode, haha!

·
Registered
384 Posts
No one knows when Kindle 2.0 will arrive.  I got mine in late October.  If a new one comes out in 2009 I will not be the least bit remorseful.  I have my Libi and she is wonderful and almost perfect in every way.  I can wait until she becomes antiquated before getting an improved version.  If you are the type who must have the very latest of everything then you may want to wait.  If you are thankful for what you do have you will be VERY happy with the current Kindle.

As for convincing a husband to do what you want him to ... I am of no help there.  I have had mine for 30 years and I have no idea how to achieve this!!!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Even if K2 does come out next year, I don't think I'll be buying it.  If K2 came out the day after I bought my Kindle, I wouldn't feel at all bad.  It does everything I need it to do in a wonderful way.  Folders would be nice, but I envision that as a software update that they can probably transmit over Whispernet. 

As LR says, there's no guarantee when K2 will come out (or even if they're working on it), and in the meantime, you will miss all that Kindlejoy. 

Kindlequick and enjoy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also, you might note to "Santa" that Amazon is selling refurbished units at a discounted price.  Many folks on here have gotten theirs already, where the sparkly new ones take a bit longer to ship.  So far I haven't seen anyone report any problems with them, they are good as new. 

So that's an option, if you want your new Kindle before Christmas!  Hear that, Santa?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've all come up with very convincing reasons not to wait for a Kindle 2.0. You're right---I might well not like 2.0. I've already seen the "complaints" about the large page-turning bars, but frankly I like that and don't see why a person can't work around it. Also, so true that I'm missing out on all kinds of KindleJoy in the meantime....I've already been Kindle-waiting since its launch because everyone else comes first in my mind.

I'm not a tech-gadget junkie and don't want anything but a Kindle reader as it exists right now. Desirable add-ons in a second version would be nice, but these things always happen with subsequent versions of all gadgets and it won't render my first Kindle useless at all. I certainly don't want fancy add-ons to mess things up. A price discount promotion might sting a bit, but it wouldn't be the first time. It happens with computers all the time.

I'm convinced quite easily (which means I may be able to convince Santa), but then again I'm totally Kindle-obsessed, so convincing me is a very simple feat! I'm in the "I want it yesterday" mode now, somewhere beyond obsession. Very impatient KindleWisher. ::)

I checked out Amazon and it looked to me as though the refurbs were gone.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
libro said:
I checked out Amazon and it looked to me as though the refurbs were gone.
Keep watching. The first batch sold out, then they put up a second batch a few days later. There may be a third wave coming in soon.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Santa is listening. I was on the computer before and he screamed upstairs, "What are you doing?" I said, "I'm on the computer." He said, "Looking at Kindle?" Caught me!

Why do I feel like a little kid before Christmas? On second thought, that's a good feeling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I ordered my Kindle in September, we had the same debate.  We decided to go ahead and get it now and we are so glad we did.  My husband complains that he never gets to borrow it; so if a new model comes out we may get another so we don't have to share.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts