Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a red M-Edge cover, but I want to get a skin for my Kindle, and I realized that most of the ones I like won't match the red. (I'm leaning toward Whimsy, BTW :)) So I figured it would be best to get a plain black case. I like my M-edge pretty well; the only thing I really don't like is the closing mechanism - I know I'm going to tear that little tab pocket up eventually. I don't want the "pebbled" one, but there is a fake leather black one. (I don't mind the fake leather; it's what I have now.)
http://www.buymedge.com/p_kindleEx.html

My second option is the Tuff-Luv Executive leather case at amazon. Does anyone have this one? The stand feature is kind of cool, but is it just held in at the bottom? Is it the same closure (tab into a slot) as the M-Edge?
http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Luv-Executive-leather-Amazon-Kindle/dp/B001DHG2YM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226107762&sr=8-7

Last option is the Vizu "Travel Package", with the leather case and light (don't really care about the light, I already have one). Also can stand up, and has a cutout for the switches. This is also the cheapest, I think, at $24.99. Anyone have this? Looks like maybe a snap closure?
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Package-Amazon-Kindle-Leather/dp/B001ESPB5G/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1226107791&sr=8-15

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Is the "whimsy" one black with small white butterflies??? It should go with your red case since the majority of the skin is black. I'd go to the site and look but it looks like they're updating the Kindle skins page :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
marianner said:
It's mostly black and white, but there's a little bit of pink, too.
Sounds like it could be fun :) Since you are leaning towards it in the first place, go ahead and order it. If you really don't like it with the red case, then go ahead and find another one.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The cover that comes with the light is the one I have, only in green. I think you can find the case in black without the light for 19.95. I worte a review today of mine, which you can read here.. http://www.amazon.com/MiniSuit-Leather-Amazon-Kindle-Adjustable/dp/B001EW1EPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225375168&sr=8-1

I have read on another board that they may discontinue the tuf case, it is made by a british company, and I think there is a very good review
posted of it... I found it also in pink and am pretty tempted...

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have the on order the black one like Octochick's and the whimsey skin is the one I have picked out but not ordered yet. I like it because of the butterflies.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Marianner, welcome to the Kindle Boards! And welcome to Accessories. I think this, and the Book Corner, are the most happening places on Kindleboards, but I might be biased. ;D

Anyway, the case that comes with the light is black according to Amazon, it says black in a box under the description.
Here it is:
Travel Package

And I think this is the skin?

(Decalgirl IS updating their website.)

I think the design would look great with a black or red cover.

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
marianner said:
Thanks for the info, everybody! I would order the skin, chynared, except that the site has been down all day :) So it sounds like the people that own them like them? What kind of closure does each have?
The skins are only that, skins that stick to the various flat areas on the Kindle. Check here for a good post by Leslie of putting the skin on your Kindle and great pictures. As for covers, the closures vary greatly. Most seem to have a snap, if they have a closure at all.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I meant the closures for the cases, Betsy :)  I ask because I'm not that crazy about the M-Edge, the way you have to push the tab into an unfinished slot.  I'm sure that that slot is going to get a bit raggedy over time.  The other two cases I'm looking at don't have a good picture of the closing mechanism.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
marianner said:
I meant the closures for the cases, Betsy :) I ask because I'm not that crazy about the M-Edge, the way you have to push the tab into an unfinished slot. I'm sure that that slot is going to get a bit raggedy over time. The other two cases I'm looking at don't have a good picture of the closing mechanism.
Sorry, wasn't sure as there's often confusion between skins and covers. :) I only have the standard cover which I'm covering. Will post pictures, hopefully today. I'm trying to avoid buying another cover, because once I do, all is lost! I'll be buying covers left and right. I'm holding out for the Oberon (see separate thread). Hopefully others will chime in. A lot of people here have M-Edge covers, what do you think?

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
marianner said:
I meant the closures for the cases, Betsy :) I ask because I'm not that crazy about the M-Edge, the way you have to push the tab into an unfinished slot. I'm sure that that slot is going to get a bit raggedy over time. The other two cases I'm looking at don't have a good picture of the closing mechanism.
I've had mine (not-leather in Red) since July and haven't noticed a problem with the tab or the slog getting ragged. They are very well made. That said, I think I'd prefer a weak magnet closure.

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have two M-edge covers, red and saddle. I used the red one constantly for two months and the smooth leather did start to look a little bit scratched, but the slot for the tab was fine. The saddle cover seems more sturdy and after 3 months of constant use, it looks as new as the day it arrived. I think the pebbling of the leather makes a big difference.

L

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, my red (pleather) M-Edge is getting a bit scratched up.  I really don't like pebbly-textured leather, though, just not my style - too masculine, or something.  Honestly, though, I don't mind the scratches too much - they don't really show unless you look at just the right angle.

Maybe I'm just paranoid about that slot, though!  I kind of stick my fingernail underneath it every time I put the tab in to keep it from pushing on the edge too much.  Maybe the old familiar M-Edge is my best bet, after all.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
marianner, I am waiting on the arrival of the Vizu Travel package and will post my review when it gets here mid week (I hope).  The price was very good and it got pretty good reviews both on Amazon and here (thanks, Leslie!)  If it doesn't live up to my expectations/needs then I won't feel terrible about turning around and buying the M-Edge in the end.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
My Vizu Travel package arrived today!  It came w/instructions (read reviews on Amazon that it didn't have directions prior) and popped in there in about 2 seconds.  The case holds it very securely, I think you'd really have to jar it hard to get it to come loose.  The cover is not top quality leather (but for $24 what do you expect), but to me holding the kinde securelyand protecting it is more important than looks.  I still may splurge and get the M-Edge, but so far I'm very pleased w/this cover.  I'll road test for a while and see how it goes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ruby said:
My Vizu Travel package arrived today! It came w/instructions (read reviews on Amazon that it didn't have directions prior) and popped in there in about 2 seconds. The case holds it very securely, I think you'd really have to jar it hard to get it to come loose. The cover is not top quality leather (but for $24 what do you expect), but to me holding the kinde securelyand protecting it is more important than looks. I still may splurge and get the M-Edge, but so far I'm very pleased w/this cover. I'll road test for a while and see how it goes.
Oh, I'm so glad to hear that the Vizu holds the Kindle securely! Mine shipped today, in black, to go with the Whimsical design from Decalgirl!

Nemo

1 - 20 of 75 Posts