Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local book club was today and the reading for this month is a readers choice. We can pick any "historical fiction" book we want.  Any suggestions for me.  I need help since this isn't the type of book I would usually read.  But that is want I like about my book club, it makes me read "outside my box" or should I say "beyond my bookshelf"  LOL

TIA

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I love historical fiction and have been on a tear the past few months! Will everyone in your book club be reading the same thing? Not sure from your message...

As an "all purpose" historical fiction story, this one would be a possible choice. It takes place in France in 1815 -- during the Restoration after the Revolution. The basic premise is that the Dauphin son of King Louis XVI, who was supposedly executed when he was ten, is in fact, alive. Lots of twists and turns and wondering who is who and who did what. I think it would give the group plenty to discuss.

These two I just read, also. They are sequels; the stories take place 26 years apart. They are both very good but I would give a slight edge to Paper Moon being a little bit better. However, you shouldn't read Paper Moon without reading The Boy I Love because you really need to have the backstory to fully appreciate what's going on. There's enough meat in both of these for a great discussion. Just so you know: a major theme has to do with homosexuality and how homosexuals are treated in society and forced to live their lives in the early 20th century.

Last--this book takes a true event--the love affair between Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney--and "brings it to life." It's also very good and an interesting exploration of life, social mores, and expectations in the early 20th century. The author has book club discussion questions at her website to give you a hand on getting started.

I haven't read this but it seems like it would be a good follow-on to Loving Frank. It is about the four women in Wright's life, including Cheney. It is getting good reviews.

That should get you started! Let us know which book you end up selecting.

L

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On our reader's choice months everyone decides for themselves what they want to read. It just has to be within the "theme".
It a great way to learn about lots of different books when everyone picks their own.
The last reader's choice we had was "any banned book" and I picked Wizzard of Oz.  I started out my review by ALL the reasons it had been banned the past. Boy they were shocked when I revealed what book it was. I had never read the book even 'tho I have seen the movie hundreds of times.l

Thanks for the suggestions I'm going to check them out.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Gone For a Soldier by Jeffrey Hepple - a true story with some fiction involved regarding the American Revolution and a female spy.  Jeff is one of our very own kindleboarder authors.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This was one of my favorite books last year. The Amazon description makes it sound it bit dry, but it isn't like that at all. It's fascinating, emotional, and moving.

Amazon description:
See's engrossing novel set in remote 19th-century China details the deeply affecting story of lifelong, intimate friends (laotong, or "old sames") Lily and Snow Flower, their imprisonment by rigid codes of conduct for women and their betrayal by pride and love. While granting immediacy to Lily's voice, See adroitly transmits historical background in graceful prose. Her in-depth research into women's ceremonies and duties in China's rural interior brings fascinating revelations about arranged marriages, women's inferior status in both their natal and married homes, and the Confucian proverbs and myriad superstitions that informed daily life. Beginning with a detailed and heartbreaking description of Lily and her sisters' foot binding ("Only through pain will you have beauty. Only through suffering will you have peace"), the story widens to a vivid portrait of family and village life. Most impressive is See's incorporation of nu shu, a secret written phonetic code among women-here between Lily and Snow Flower-that dates back 1,000 years in the southwestern Hunan province ("My writing is soaked with the tears of my heart,/ An invisible rebellion that no man can see"). As both a suspenseful and poignant story and an absorbing historical chronicle, this novel has bestseller potential and should become a reading group favorite as well.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hello everyone, I don't know if you like mysteries, but I discovered a terrific series by Rhys Bowen. The book I read, Oh Danny Boy, was about the fourth book into the Molly Murphy series, but read well as a stand alone. Murphy is a young Irish woman who's immigrated to New York. The story takes place in 1902 and Bowen's portrayal of life for single, working class women is terrific. She inserts interesting references to architecture and attitudes of the day without slowing the story down at all. A very good read!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts