Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am having trouble figuring out which genre my book should be listed in. I initially thought it would appeal to women's fiction readers, but some others have suggested it's more like a contemporary romance, with other friends and readers suggesting additional subgenres.

The story is about a young woman who travels to a country abroad for business. This trip becomes the opportunity for her to understand her own feelings at a deeper lever: what does she want from life, is this the right job for her, what about the friends she has, etc. There is a romantic tension in the book between the main character and another character but this is not the core of the story and the book does not have a traditional romance happy ending.

What do you suggest?

·
Registered
995 Posts
botolo said:
There is a romantic tension in the book between the main character and another character but this is not the core of the story ...
Then it is definitely not contemporary romance, or any subgenre of romance.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
If it's about her journey of finding herself, women's fiction. If it's about her and her SO, with a HEA or HFN ending, it's romance (or probably, if you don't break certain tropes). Any genre can have a love story, doesn't make it a romance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you considered literary fiction?

It sounds a bit serious and off-beat for genre fiction.

As a rule of thumb, genre fiction complies with various tropes expected by readers of that category.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
MalcolmJWardlaw said:
Have you considered literary fiction?

It sounds a bit serious and off-beat for genre fiction.

As a rule of thumb, genre fiction complies with various tropes expected by readers of that category.
What she described is exactly what women's fiction is. A woman forced into examining her life and emerging having started to make changes. That is the trope, if you want to call it that. I would call it the point. (You can see the same journey in romance, but there, the romantic relationship is more central and is a big part of that change.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts