Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your Kindle freezes up, it's natural to have a moment of panic. I mean...what's going on? My advice...take a deep breath and relax. It is likely fixable.

You should try a soft reset or a hard reset:

The soft reset is to press the Alt-Shift-R keys at the same time.

For a hard reset, take the cover off the back and insert a paperclip in the little hole. Hold for 10 seconds.

You may need to try again with the Kindle plugged into the charger.

Kindles freeze for a variety of reasons. Most common seem to be: 1) letting the charge run too far down; and 2) pressing too many keys too rapidly, causing the Kindle to become "confused."

Other reasons that folks have noticed for freezing?

Leslie

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm pretty sure that one cause of Kindle 'freeze' is an overloaded memory, similar to a computer running out of RAM. The few freezes that I've experianced have come when the Kindle was trying to load up graphic-rich webpages. (Shopping pages, Leslie....not the graphics you're thinking of).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha, okay, Teninx! I believe you.  ;)

Seriously, I have heard about Kindle freezes when people are using the browser beyond the Kindle's capabilities.

Leslie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually, my experience with the kindle freezing is that it seems to happen after I have not turned it off for two or three weeks. I don't use whispernet (can't get it in my house), and I charge it ever night when I go to bed.

It also seems to happen after I have downloaded several books all at once, i.e. when it is, or has been, indexing books.

The two above are probably connected as I put in several books every few weeks.

My guess is that there is a small memory leak that fills up memory eventually until it freezes.

Mike

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Kindle froze when my brother got ahold of it. He clicked something, it wasn't fast enough for him, and he got frustrated and clicked a whole slew of other things. The poor Kindle was so confused it just froze up completely. It was fine after a simple restart though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Kat, you're now the first Kindle owner to have purchased the entire Amazon ebook catalog. Hope your brother is good for it!

·
0 Posts
Mine froze on me this morning while transferring a book from Kindle memory to my SD card. Messed it all up. Had to delete the book and re-download it. I've also had it freeze while simply changing pages.

There doesn't seem to be any one reason why it freezes, so I'm thinking that the freeze function is on some kind of a timer and when the clock goes down the Kindle goes poof.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
My opinion on freezing is that Kindle's brain gets full.  I haven't had the problem as long as I remember to do a soft re-set every few days.  Usually I am prompted to because my newspaper isn't there in the morning.  I do a soft re-set and it downloads the paper.  Other than that I never turn the thing off. . . if I'm not reading it's sleeping.

Ann

·
Registered
146 Posts
Teninx said:
Kat, you're now the first Kindle owner to have purchased the entire Amazon ebook catalog. Hope your brother is good for it!
Not so much... He just spent every dime he had on a zombies in space game.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for this post, it is how I found your Board a couple of weeks ago.  I am just now coming back to look around.  My Kindle froze right after I charged it.  I tried the hard reset with a paper clip to the hole in the back and it did not work.  I tried the soft reset, alt-shift-r, and it did not work either.  Then I plugged it back into the charger and the soft reset worked.  YEAHHH!!!!!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm bumping this thread up. 

My K1 would not go to the Home page when I tried to take it off of screensaver yesterday.  My indicator would go round and round, but not actually go to the Home page.  I turned it off and tried a couple more times, and nothing.  I could not remember how to do a soft reset, and of course I was nowhere near a computer at the time to look it up here.   I ended up doing a hard reset and now all is fine. 

I'm going to place the Alt-Shift-R code on a piece of paper and slip into each of my covers for next time that happens.

deb

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok so i've tried everything from soft resets to hard resets and taking the battery out and recharging it for 3 days BUT IT STILL REFUSES TO TURN ON FOR ME!!!!!

I know why it turned off but not how to turn it back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
How are you resetting it if it does not turn on?

Is it a K1 or K2?

How did you turn it off?

Have you called Customer Service?

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's the K1 and i used to "ALT/SHIFT/R" thing

i didn't know there was a customer service # that i could call
do you know the #?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Have you tried resetting by using the pinhole reset under the back cover? The Kindle should be plugged in when you do this.

1-866-321-8851, 6a-10p PST, 7 days a week.

More info re: Customer Service is in this FAQ post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are AMAZING!!!!!!!

NO JOKE I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! AS IN L.O.V.E  :-*

lol jkjk but really thank you so much your hard reset thing did it! thank you!!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My wife has a KK and lately she has been getting freezes with some regularity.  She was not doing anything but reading when this happened, normally after she tried to get out of the screensaver.  We used the reset hole on the back of the Kindle and this fixed it.  However, we never had it plugged in at the time. 

Another question.  I have a K2 and there is no reset hole.  I haven't had a freeze yet but was wondering how would you reset a K2?

John

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
With the K2 you hold the slider switch (sleep switch) at the top for 5 seconds to turn off, or 20 seconds, sometimes it takes longer than that, to reset.  You'll know it has reset because the screen will start flashing, then you'll get the message saying it is restarting.  If you sleep it, you get screen saver. Turning it off give you a blank screen and no message it is restarting when you turn it back on (it just turns back on~if that makes sense).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all for this board and advice. I have a K1 that has frozen repeatedly - in the past hard resets have worked. This time - nothing. Customer service was not able to help. Amazon is offering to replace it for free. Just thought I'd let you all know and thank you again for all your help.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts