Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the K2.  I am trying to sell the K1.  Can't figure out how to get the screen savers back.  I had put on the decalgirl one and erased it on the computer, but it keeps coming back.  I also tried resetting and it is still there.  Help!  Anyone know how I can get it off?  Thanks!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Deleting the folder does not delete the screensavers. You will need to go and unhide hidden files to find the screensavers. When you unhide that folder, you can delete it and then turn on whispernet and you will get the defaults back. There is a thread on here somewhere that explains it. I'll try to find for you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly....

You have to access the Kindle via USB. Your PC settings have to be set so that you can see "hidden folders" or something like that. In other words, if your settings are normal (and they probably are) you can't see the folder on the Kindle that the screensavers are in. Once you delete it that way, the original screensavers will all be returned.

I gave myself that very panic attack once too! Don't worry, it can be fixed. ;D

Here is the instructions I found!

http://kindlerama.com/how-to-remove-custom-screensaver-images-from-your-kindle#short

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Here are the instruction in the FAQ section that worked for me.

Q: How do I remove custom screensavers from my Kindle?

A: This is a little trickier than adding them in the first place.

When you create custom screensavers in the pictures  folder and the screensavers subfolder within the pictures folder, the Kindle secretly creates ANOTHER folder "screen_saver" in the Kindle's system folder, which is normally hidden to view.  In this folder are copies of the custom files you added, renamed in the order you selected them: "screen_saver_0.gz", "screen_saver_1.gz".  Any pictures for which you do not press alt-shift-0 on are not here, even if they are in the "screensavers" folder you created.  There is also an additional file called "screen_saver_last" which keeps track of the last screensaver displayed (this file only contains a single integer 0, 1, etc...)

To go back to the built-in original screensavers, you delete the whole secret folder in the system folder: "screen_saver".  You DO NOT have to remove the pictures & screensavers folders that YOU added. Note that in order to see and delete this folder, you will need to go to Control Panel --> Folders and click the option on the View tab to "show hidden files." Do this FIRST before hooking up your Kindle to delete the screen_saver folder.

You can keep the pictures and  screensavers folders in the Screensavers book that was created, just for browsing or for adding a different screensaver from your collection at a later date.

May I add the caveat: if you are not comfortable with navigating using windows explorer and creating folders and subfolders, you might want to get someone to help you with adding and/or deleting custom screensavers. People have reported problems with their Kindles freezing up and so on when they have tried to add and delete screensavers. Just a word of warning.

Thanks to Betsy the Quilter for her research to answer this question, and writing it up. L

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I have Vista and I can't find anything anyone is telling me to do.  I think I erased the screen savers.  I am so frustrated.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Here's how to find hidden files in Vista.

Follow these steps to display hidden files and folders.

1.  Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

2.  Click the View tab.

3.  Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kathy!  Got that and then I deleted the screen savers, but now I don't have the folder anywhere.  The screen savers forlder doesn't come up on the Kindle anymore either.  Did I erase the whole thing?  Oh, I do still have the custom screen saver that shows up.  Ugh!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Teach142 said:
Thanks Kathy! Got that and then I deleted the screen savers, but now I don't have the folder anywhere. It doesn't show up on the Kindle anymore either. Did I erase the whole thing?
When you turn on Whispernet and do check for new items, the default screensavers come back and are in the hidden folder. The folder you created for your screensavers should not be there if you deleted it. You don't need it and it may be confusing to the new owner to see that, so I would not put it back on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so now when I go into the Pictures folder, I have nothing.  I turned on whispernet, I've done a reset, and all I get is the decalgirl screensaver.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Teach142 said:
Ok, so now when I go into the Pictures folder, I have nothing. I turned on whispernet, I've done a reset, and all I get is the decalgirl screensaver.
Do you have anything in the hidden files still? If so, delete everything in it and then delete the pictures folder and the screensaver folder. Try turning on Whispernet again and sync again. Sorry you having so much trouble. I don't have Vista, so I'm trying to help you without seeing it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for sticking with me Kathy.  I really appreciate it.  Ok, so I deleted the Pictures folder.  And, I've turned on whispernet and synced.  Still get that stinkin decalgirl screen.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Teach142 said:
I even added a new pictures folder. Synced again, and nothing but the decalgirl saver.
Delete the screensaver and picture folder. Don't add it back on. If you have a screensaver folder in hidden files, delete that as well. When you sync it will recreate the hidden folder and you don't want the screensaver or picture folder on there at all. Try once more. Sorry.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I synced and got nothing.  Actually, I push alt and Aa and I get the decalgirl.  When it just sits, it doesn't even go into a screen saver.  Ugh!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The one thing to remember is that on the Kindle 1, you can't delete the original screen savers. They just get deactivated when you install a custom one. So they will eventually come back.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Teach142 said:
I synced and got nothing. Actually, I push alt and Aa and I get the decalgirl. When it just sits, it doesn't even go into a screen saver. Ugh!
It sounds like the picture is on the Kindle. I'm not sure where it would be stored. I had some problems the first time I did it, but once I deleted all of the folders everything went back to normal. It does sometimes take a while for the syncing. It may be that it just hasn't completely refreshed everything. I would let the whispernet run for a while and see if it will finally download the default screensavers. It may have to index to get everything back to normal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for all your help.  The sreen saver did pop up after sitting a while, but it was the decalgirl.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Teach142 said:
Thanks again for all your help. The sreen saver did pop up after sitting a while, but it was the decalgirl.
It is a bad dream and you are not waking up. Somewhere on the Kindle the file has to be there. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't help you get it off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've looked in all the folders on the unit.  Can't find it anywhere.  I'll leave whispernet on.  Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
There is one other thing you can try. There is another option that may need to be selected in viewing folders. There is an option that needs to be deselected and that is Hide protected operating system files. You need to find the screensavers in that view. Just thought of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts