Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I am new to my kindle and have transfered some books onto it it but have added them tewice and this is eating into the capacity.

I am using my Mac and have gone into the Documents sub folder and deleted the books.  Now the book titles don't show up but when I examine the capacity of the Kindle it still apeears as though thy are there.

If I do a factory reset does it actually wipe the drive?  If so do I lose my personal account settings etc?  As I really want to avoid doing that

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
I'm not sure why the new books added wouldn't have just overwritten the books that were already there, if they were, indeed, the same books.  And I'm a little surprised that there's so much extra capacity usage that it's a real problem. . . .usually we only see that problem if there are a lot of audio type files. 

The best way to delete stuff is usually via the Kindle itself, rather than playing with the file system. For, example, you may have deleted the book files, but not any associated note files or index files.  When you delete from the Kindle, all that will go. Still, they don't usually take up much space.  Generally the only time you'd need to delete via the file system is if a book file is corrupted somehow and the Kindle can't work with it.

All that said, yes, a factory reset will remove all books and put it back to the way it was when you first got it. . . .no name, no books, not registered (I think).

You might try a restart first.  That option is available via menu/settings/menu/restart (from the home page).  If that soft restart doesn't work a hard restart can be done by sliding and holding the power switch for 30-40 seconds.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Kelk said:
I am using my Mac and have gone into the Documents sub folder and deleted the books. Now the book titles don't show up but when I examine the capacity of the Kindle it still apeears as though thy are there.
That's because they are still there, but in the Trash. They won't be deleted unless you empty the Trash. Connect your Kindle up to the Mac, empty the Trash, eject the Kindle, and you will get your space back.

This problem doesn't occur when you delete from the Kindle homepage.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts