Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I've just uploaded my new short story and after I noticed a couple of minor typos I edited and reloaded but the biggest glaring mistake was that Scrivener hadn't saved any of my links as live hyperlinks. I hit insert hyperlink typed in but they only appeared as written text (and they had all come out as my writer site links ????) Fortunately I managed to correct this by adding the links and doing my corrections in Open Office. Can anyone tell me why Scrivener has done (keeps is a better word) I'm beginning to regret purchasing it now as it hasn't saved me any time on this story with the amount of corrections. Any help from Scrivener users would be appreciated ;D

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
It would help to know which version you're using, for PC or for Mac, as they have different levels of what is active (PC is lagging), so the fix will likely be different.

If I'm understanding you correctly, your links aren't links, and would be for your website no matter what you input? It sounds like a glitch, but I'm not the most experienced Scrivener user.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm not super experienced with Scrivener (for Windows) but I ran into the same problem.

What I did was on the page/section that would have the link displayed, I opened Inspector and under Document References, I "Create External Reference". Then I loaded the link and dragged it to that position in my document.

It shows the ugly url because I haven't figured out how to neaten it up but it shows up in the doc as a clickable link.

Hopefully someone will come along with a less clumsy way to do it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The following works for me in Scrivener for Windows, when compiling to .epub and .mobi formats...
- Enter whatever regular text you want to serve as the visible highlighted hyperlink.
- Select that text.
- Edit > Link > and type in desired web address (ex: www.amazon.com)

You may have better luck posting to the appropriate Scrivener subforum at
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/index.php

Also check out the Scrivener manual (available under Help) and possibly Gwen Hernandez's Scrivener for Dummies (available in both print and e-book form on Amazon).

·
Registered
592 Posts
SpringfieldMH said:
The following works for me in Scrivener for Windows, when compiling to .epub and .mobi formats...
- Enter whatever regular text you want to serve as the visible highlighted hyperlink.
- Select that text.

Also check out the Scrivener manual (available under Help) and possibly Gwen Hernandez's Scrivener for Dummies (available in both print and e-book form on Amazon).
Gah! I should have come here first to ask. I swear I looked all the hell over the instructions and every damn drop down trying to figure it out. Nothing in the instructions or online was helpful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just wanted to say I have the same experience as SpringfieldMH.  Always just seems to work.  Latest test I did was for a MailChimp link at the back of the book.  Tested the compiled Mobi file on the Kindle Previewer.  Worked.  I might also side load onto my Voyage, but it's always worked on that also.

GeoffW

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SpringfieldMH said:
- Select that text.

thanks so much!
I'm using Windows version. What I've been doing is entering the text e.g Twitter then copying and pasting the address I need, THEN going to link which is oviously where I was going wrong. When you say select the text, do you mean highlight it ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
By "select", I'm referring to selecting some text via mouse or keyboard, the same as I would for some text that I was then going to subsequently apply formatting to.

Let's say I wanted to recommend Amazon to someone and provide a visible clickable link to it within that recommending text.

I would type something like...
"Personally, for such, I'd recommend you check out Amazon."

Then I'd use mouse or keyboard to select "Amazon", same as if I was preparing to boldface, italicize, underline, etc. it.

And with it still selected, do Edit > Link, make sure the Web radio button was selected, type or paste in "www.amazon.com" and click OK.

The result would look something like the following within Scrivener, with the now visibly marked word "Amazon" working as a clickable link in resulting compiled .epub and .mobi ebooks.
"Personally, for such, I'd recommend you check out Amazon."

I verified this today, with quick compiles out to .epub and .mobi formats and checking the results in Windows versions of Adobe Digital Editions (.epub, link shows up as blue underlined) and Kindle Reader (.mobi, link shows up as brown(?) underlined) and also in iOS (iPhone/iPad) versions of iBooks (.epub, link shows up as purple not underlined) and Kindle Reader (.mobi, link shows up as blue underlined).

There may be additional tweaks that can be done or other or better ways to do this...

P.S. One of the tricks with finding answers on such is to come up with a list of possible/alternate/related terms and then do a search of the Scrivener forums, documentation, etc. using each term. Same holds true generically for other topics involving other applications, as terminology tends to vary from discipline to discipline, creator to creator and app to app, for a variety of reasons both good and bad. In this case, starting with your "live links", I came up with "URL", "hyperlink", "link", etc. and searched the Scrivener forums using same until I was comfortable I had found an answer that worked.

P.P.S. Another handy trick, regardless of the application in question, is the use of small throwaway projects. Start a new project, create just the minimum material (few lines of text, outline, whatever is needed) needed to test with, test it, discard it. If it crashes and burns, no big deal, no risk to major ongoing project(s).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts