Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm undecided on a title for the third book of my trilogy, dollhouse.
So far I'm considering 'Music Box' - going with a theme of what might be found in a little girl's bedroom. I did want something relating to dolls, but nothing is coming to me  ??? I think 'rag doll' is too similar to 'paper dolls'.

Book 1: Dollhouse
Book 2: Paper Dolls
Book 3:

Must be:

- short. One or two words
- no more than 9 or 10 letters total
- related to any of dolls, toys, little girls, antique toys

(Book is YA gothic horror/mystery. I'm around a third through completion.)

·
Registered
385 Posts
China Doll, Porcelain Doll?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I really like Music Box...just wanted to add my vote to the others.

A quick search of vintage and Victorian-era toys for girls brought up "wax dolls," also--which, now that I think about it, just sound more dark/horror-ish to me than china or porcelain dolls.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I've been Googling to see if there's another term for "doll," but their pretty much doesn't seem to be.

Synonyms for doll:

baby, dolly, effigy, figure, figurine, manikin, marionette, model, moppet, puppet

I discovered there is a type of doll called a bébé, but I think that may be too fussy for a title.

Dunno if any of that helps or not.

Rue

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I really like Marionette, it fits the books to me. Has a nice vintage sound, puppet/manipulation themes, and more doll like than just "puppet".
Broken dolls also works for me.

Going back to more book 1 themes, Carousel?

Either way I can't wait for the third book!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions!

I really like wax dolls, china dolls, marionette - ooh and carousel (and a number of others that are just a bit too long)

@Ruecole - the Bru Bebe is featured in Paper Dolls :)

This has given me another thought - nursery rhymes. I personally find the old nursery songs very creepy, and the girls do sing them in the first book. Will have a look at the old rhymes.
I just found out the words to Alouette - omg, there goes my warm childhood memories of singing this with my mother! Apparently the song is about plucking the eyes, wings, feet, feathers etc etc from a lark just because that lark has woken you from a sleep :( :(

(Thanks Selina :) How's Book 2 of Memory's Wake coming along?)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Anya said:
(Thanks Selina :) How's Book 2 of Memory's Wake coming along?)
Finally finished the first draft. Still got not only all the editing still to do, but illustrations too (WHY did I decide to illustrate these books again!?) :-\

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Cat's Eye? (It's a kind of marble.)
Glass Slippers?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also like 'Broken Dols". Maybe 'Diorama'. or "Picking up the Pieces." (Too many words). "Blue Fairy" (Pinocchio) or "Lifeless," depending on the outcome of the series. Or "Carousel", as someone mentioned.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts