Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be putting my book on kindle pretty soon. I was going to price it  $3.99 but I think people will think that means it is a low quality book. I am thinking about moving it up to 4.99 or even 6.99(highest price in mind) so people won't think it's poor quality.

What price do you assoicate with low quality?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I honestly don't mentally link a book's price with the quality.  I've paid quite a bit of money for some books and would rate their quality as average to poor.  And, I have bought MANY books that were less than $2.00 ..... and they were excellent books.  To me, a higher price does not indicate higher quality at all. 

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I don't associate price with quality.......I purchased Pride and Prejudice for $0.25. I'd be more likely to purchase/try an unknown author with a cheap book than a high priced one. I wouldn't spend 6 bucks for a book I wasn't positive about. :) JMO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
I honestly don't mentally link a book's price with the quality. I've paid quite a bit of money for some books and would rate their quality as average to poor. And, I have bought MANY books that were less than $2.00 ..... and they were excellent books. To me, a higher price does not indicate higher quality at all.
I looked at the books on kindle most are like 9.99 :-\ I was scared I would have to jack my price up just to get people to download. Thanks for the feedback ::)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't equate price with quality. I've gotten tons of free books and 99 cent + books that have been excellent. Many classics are even available for free or 99 cent and I wouldn't consider them poor quality.

I will say that I am hesitant to purchase anything over $9.99 and sometimes $6.99. What I really care about now with the ebook format is good editing (important regardless the format) and good formatting. We often see books that just haven't been "converted" to ebook well and they have odd indents and such.

Best of luck with your book and let us know when its available!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pomlover2586 said:
I don't associate price with quality.......I purchased Pride and Prejudice for $0.25. I'd be more likely to purchase/try an unknown author with a cheap book than a high priced one. I wouldn't spend 6 bucks for a book I wasn't positive about. :) JMO
Thanks, you guys make me feel much better about pricing it low 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mom133d said:
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't equate price with quality. I've gotten tons of free books and 99 cent + books that have been excellent. Many classics are even available for free or 99 cent and I wouldn't consider them poor quality.

I will say that I am hesitant to purchase anything over $9.99 and sometimes $6.99. What I really care about now with the ebook format is good editing (important regardless the format) and good formatting. We often see books that just haven't been "converted" to ebook well and they have odd indents and such.

Best of luck with your book and let us know when its available!
Thanks for the information. ;DI will let you guys know.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I never equate price with quality either.  That's why it irritates me when people give books low ratings because of their prices.  ie: new releases being priced higher than $9.99.  I think if you have a problem with the pricing on the book, you should be emailing the publisher or Amazon, or make a comment, if you feel the need to in your review, but the review should be a true review of the book itself, not the price.  Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The last 3 books I read were .99, 1.59 and 1.59 respectively. They were some of the best books I've ever read. I don't associate price and quality in books at all. In other things they do equate at varying levels. My personal standards are related to the synopsis and any reviews I read. If those are appealing I'll get the sample. Some of them give enough actual book to make a decision but many don't.

If I have nothing but synopsis/reviews to go on and find them remotely intriguing my scale generally is .99 or less automatic buy, 1.00-2.99 likely buy, 3.00-4.99 possible buy and 5.00 up not likely but I rarely pay over 4.99 anyway. If I can't get the ebook for less than that I'll wait and buy a used paperback when it eventually shows up in my local used bookstore.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree--a good book is a good book, regardless of the price. If it came down to choosing between two equally good books, I'd choose the cheaper one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I will tell you that when I reduced my price from $1.59 to $0.99, my sales increased by about 400%.

The Traditional Publishers are flooding the market with penny books and free books, many of them bestsellers, so the Kindle readers are seeing great books at low prices anyway....if anything, having your price much higher than $0.99 is going to get you pushed to the bottom of the pile.

·
Registered
144 Posts
No price is too low.  We, as a group, are easily hooked by the low prices.  Once hooked, reel us in and we buy your other books.  We thirst for the new author and the good deal. 
Good luck with your new book!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Have purchased "good books" for free or $.99 and also some stinkers for 7.99+. Price is not an indicator of quality. IMHO

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Price low, sell more. I'm fighting (well, arguing; I haven't hit him...yet) with my marketing guy about the price of the Kindle editions of my books; they're priced at $7 (Amazon discounts them, though) but I think I'd make *more* if they were priced at a dollar. And my books is GOOD books  :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
LDB said:
If I have nothing but synopsis/reviews to go on and find them remotely intriguing my scale generally is .99 or less automatic buy, 1.00-2.99 likely buy, 3.00-4.99 possible buy and 5.00 up not likely but I rarely pay over 4.99 anyway.
I completely agree with this. I have a set budget amount each month for books and I like to get the most bang for my buck. I'm much more willing to spend $2.99 on a new author than $9.99. I've discovered some really good books and authors that I most likely wouldn't have purchased if their books were more expensive. Plus, if I like your first book at .99 cents, I'll be more likely to buy your second at $4.99. I'd been looking at 'His Majesty's Dragon' in the bookstore for months, I actually purchased it because it was free. The promotion worked because I ended up buying every other book in the series also. ;D

·
Registered
463 Posts
DriftingalongtheEdge said:
Wow, so many useful answers. I am now thinking about a 2.99 price for kindle. ;)
Looks like a lot of authors are doing a "limited time" 99 cent intro price (which gets your sales numbers up), the raising the price to the "final" price after a month or two (or not), especially if another book is coming out.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
We have a thread titled free books.  The mod starts a new thread for each month.  This month that thread has had 14,590 views, folks looking for free books.  We also have a bargain books thread for each month, and the March thread has a tremendous amount of views as well.  We love a bargain. 
deb

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ephany said:
I'd been looking at 'His Majesty's Dragon' in the bookstore for months, I actually purchased it because it was free. The promotion worked because I ended up buying every other book in the series also. ;D
That's how I wound up with Brent Week's Night Angel Trilogy -- and I shelled out for those other 2 books at the top end of my willing-to-pay range.

It's like shareware and crack dealers: first hit's free butcha pay for the rest, there's a nice addict. It works too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts