Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can anyone help with help re formatting a paperback novel?  What I plan to do is: spacing 1.15, a font like Garamond or Book Antiqua and 11 pt ...is this wise or will look terrible? 

Anyone with experience with Create space, could you kindly share what worked for you?  thanks much!
Gabriela

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
They have Word templates for each trim size. Download template, copy and paste the whole book. Then add page headers and page counter.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Terrence and Andrew:

Thanks much!  I have done that, the templates were very useful, and I am ready to click submit but...BUT.... the lingering question is what is the right spcing between lines and how big the fonts should be?  I could not find clear answers on their board.  Did you use 11 or 12 pt and single, 1.5 or anything else?  Thanks, G

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amanda Brice said:
I used a template and did single spacing, with 10.5 pt font in TNR. I just got the proof copies and they look fantastic.
Thanks much, Amanda!
Gabriela

·
Registered
822 Posts
I used 11-point Garamond with 14-point line spacing (generally line spacing should be 3 points larger than your font) and got several favorable comments about my formating.  I did it in Word 2003 as follows:

Format/Paragraph/Indents and Spacing tab/Spacing:  Set line spacing to desired setting—Double for manuscripts, "At Least" for publication.  Set the "At" option to the desired pitch, usually three pitch sizes larger than the font.
In the General/Alignment section, set "Alignment" to Left for manuscripts, and Justified for publication.
In the Line and Page Breaks tab: Check "Widow/Orphan control."  Leave "Don't Hyphenate" box unchecked for manuscripts, but checked for publication.

Good luck!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
swcleveland said:
I used 11-point Garamond with 14-point line spacing (generally line spacing should be 3 points larger than your font) and got several favorable comments about my formating. I did it in Word 2003 as follows:

Format/Paragraph/Indents and Spacing tab/Spacing: Set line spacing to desired setting-Double for manuscripts, "At Least" for publication. Set the "At" option to the desired pitch, usually three pitch sizes larger than the font.
In the General/Alignment section, set "Alignment" to Left for manuscripts, and Justified for publication.
In the Line and Page Breaks tab: Check "Widow/Orphan control." Leave "Don't Hyphenate" box unchecked for manuscripts, but checked for publication.

Good luck!
Ah- excellent, thanks Scott!
Gabriela

1 - 8 of 8 Posts