Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a story with a French title coming out next week. My French is limited and I was initially advised by a friend that I should capitalize the story the following way: La Chanson de l'Observation. Someone else just told me that the title was capitalized incorrectly (or rather it was Anglicized) and should be: La Chanson de l'observation. I looked it up and indeed it should be the latter, but do I keep it the former for US UK markets or do I stick with correct French rule? ???

·
Registered
613 Posts
(I'm French)
While I would have raised a stink if there was any grammatical/orthographical error, I wouldn't over a "wrong" capitalization.
And, as your market is in English, as you book is in English, I don't see any problem with an English capitalization on the cover and inner non-"text" pages.

In the text, however, especially if inside of quotes (or italic...), perhaps the "proper" capitalization is better ;p

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll do a thourough pass of the work to make sure there aren't any capitalization discrepancies.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I wish I could help, but I can't even get a handle on English capitalization, let alone French.

Want to see something mindnumbing? Check out the differences in the AP Style vs. Chicago Style on the term:

Commander-in-Chief...or commander in chief...or commander-in-chief

Seriously though, I think in most cases like your example it's consistency that matters most.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts