Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone out there in kindleland can help me.  I got a sandisk 2gb card for my kindle.  When I first put it in, the kindle wouldn't recognize it, so I formatted it on my computer.  Now, the Kindle recognizes it, but says there is no available space on it (shows the bar completely black and says 0mg available).  When I put the card in my laptop, it show 1.84 gb available. Suggestions? Help?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Have you tried Hari Krishna?

I don't have an answer, but I do admire the problem.  It sounds like you have a bad reader on your kindle.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Have you tried Hari Krishna?

I don't have an answer, but I do admire the problem. It sounds like you have a bad reader on your kindle.
I'll agree with the bad card slot on your Kindle.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The card may not be formatted correctly for the Kindle. Amazon CS may be able to help you with this one. When I put mine in it worked right away, so it could be a bad slot. ???

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The file system is FAT32 ( I tried Fat as well).  I have another card in the kindle that reads fine-this card read fine until my kindle froze.  I did a hard restart, and the card didn't show up afterwards.  I figured I try to format it to see if that's why it wouldn't read, but as you can see to no luck.  I wanted to use different cards as a filing system.  I guess I should try CS

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, just got off the phone with cs- no help there.  They had me reformat again, create a folder, transfer something to the folder, and viola, kindle says it can't read the sd card.  The young man at cs told me it was beyond his scope, and besides (get ready for this Kindlers)-"most kindle owners only keep a couple of books on their kindle, they allow amazon to store their content".  Huh, I read postings here where everyone has pages of books on their kindles, as well as multiple sd cards for storage. Hmmmmmmm, wonder who is misinformed

·
Registered
788 Posts
dwaszak said:
Well, just got off the phone with cs- no help there. They had me reformat again, create a folder, transfer something to the folder, and viola, kindle says it can't read the sd card. The young man at cs told me it was beyond his scope, and besides (get ready for this Kindlers)-"most kindle owners only keep a couple of books on their kindle, they allow amazon to store their content". Huh, I read postings here where everyone has pages of books on their kindles, as well as multiple sd cards for storage. Hmmmmmmm, wonder who is misinformed
Sounds like their standard response for anyone calling and questioning about why the K2 doesn't have an SD slot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So Amazon cd said:  "most kindle owners only keep a couple of books on their kindle, they allow amazon to store their content"

Hah!.  Based on what data?  I admit I may be an outlyer but between my K1 memory and SD card I have over 1000 books on mine.  For me the whole point was to be able to find books I wanted when I wanted them, not when I'm in an area where Whispernet is working or I'm connected to a computer.  This also assumes that the only source for our Kindle books is Amazon and while I buy a lot from them, I also buy a lot from smaller eBook publishers not carried by Amazon.  I for one am not giving up my K1 and it's SD card until I have no choice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sioux- That was a direct quote from the kid on the phone.  I'm a retired librarian, and I belong to several book clubs.  I explained to him that's why I keep my content on my kindle.  It's also why, although I'm getting a k2, I won't give up my k1!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I would try another SD card and if it doesn't read that one I'd call CS back and tell them the SD slot doesn't work and is broken.  The "most kindle owners only keep a couple of books on their kindle, they allow amazon to store their content" response is not fixing your Kindle or your problem.  If they give you are hard time I'd ask to speak to a supervisor.  Usually CS is very helpful.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I’m just guessing here but there may be some issue with the Linux operating system using a Windows formatted device.

When I received my wife’s Kindle, I tried inserting an SD card that had been formatted on my computer into her Kindle and it was not readable. Rather than messing around with it I just put a new card in the Kindle and it has worked fine ever since. I think TheJackalKing had a similar experience; he may be able to shed a little more light on the issue.

The argument from customer service that you don’t really need a feature that you paid for is ludicrous.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
dwaszak said:
Well, just got off the phone with cs- no help there. They had me reformat again, create a folder, transfer something to the folder, and viola, kindle says it can't read the sd card. The young man at cs told me it was beyond his scope, and besides (get ready for this Kindlers)-"most kindle owners only keep a couple of books on their kindle, they allow amazon to store their content". Huh, I read postings here where everyone has pages of books on their kindles, as well as multiple sd cards for storage. Hmmmmmmm, wonder who is misinformed
I actually had problems with my kindle last night due to the fact that there wasn't enough memory left to do anything! I moved all samples and some books over to the SD card to free up memory. I have still have 19 pages of books on my home page after removing 199 samples!! I think I have more than just a couple of books on my kindle!! ::) ;D

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Sounds faulty. Return it and get this bad boy instead. ;)

It works. I can vouch for it, and so can others on the board.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
CS said:
Sounds faulty. Return it and get this bad boy instead. ;)

It works. I can vouch for it, and so can others on the board.

If the computer can read the SD card then it's not the card, that is why I said to try another SD card in the slot. Preferably a new one and see if it picks it up, if it doesn't then it is the Kindle not the SD card. If it picks it up then it is something about the SD card.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've pretty much concluded there's something wrong with the card and Sookie k1's ability to read it-my 4gb card works fine.  I like the idea of the 16gb card but have heard on one of the boards that it slows down the indexing.  Have you noticed anything like that?  I don't care what amazon cs thinks, I like having my books with me-I take my kindle with me constantly and sometimes I just feel like rereading something I already have read, and if its on my pc or at amazon I can't get to it if I'm in the air.  Thank all you guys for your input!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
dwaszak said:
I've pretty much concluded there's something wrong with the card and Sookie k1's ability to read it-my 4gb card works fine. I like the idea of the 16gb card but have heard on one of the boards that it slows down the indexing. Have you noticed anything like that? I don't care what amazon cs thinks, I like having my books with me-I take my kindle with me constantly and sometimes I just feel like rereading something I already have read, and if its on my pc or at amazon I can't get to it if I'm in the air. Thank all you guys for your input!
It's a problem with the card if she can read your 4GB card. The question is how much space you want/need. I'd go with 2 8GB cards and be able to switch them. The 16GB if it gets full will take a long time to index and lot a of battery power. With 2 8GBs you have the same storage but you can also categorize the books to make up for the long lamented folders. Just my two cents worth. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts