Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Call Kindle customer service (866) 321-8851.  Be honest.  Tell them your daughter had an accident.  From what I continually read here, good chance they will send you a new one gratis -- or at least at a reduced price.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
All new Kindles come with a one-year warranty. Amazon usually ships out a replacement Kindle overnight -- within 24 hours -- at no charge. (They'll just ask that you mail back your original, non-working Kindle.) If you need more information about contacting Amazon's customer support, here's their main web page.

[URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display]http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html[/url]

But basically, we hear lots of stories from satisfied Kindle owners about Amazon's customer service, and how quick they are to offer a replacement Kindle, no questions asked. So yeah, that's your best option.

·
Registered
146 Posts
kindlegrl81 said:
And if Amazon won't do anything you can try putting it in a bowl of rice for a week or so and see if it starts to work after drying out. Rice has saved many electronics.
Really? That's a great trick. Now I'm going to have to go through my cupboards and test the desiccant properties of all my rices and grains. Thanks for the tip. I hope I never need it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not quite sure about Kindle. but this is how it works for electronic devices. Detach the battery ASAP. And, keep the cover open, place it on a piece of cloth and allow it to dry in the sun. That always helps me :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Sandpiper said:
Call Kindle customer service (866) 321-8851. Be honest. Tell them your daughter had an accident. From what I continually read here, good chance they will send you a new one gratis -- or at least at a reduced price.
Me and My Kindle said:
All new Kindles come with a one-year warranty. Amazon usually ships out a replacement Kindle overnight -- within 24 hours -- at no charge. (They'll just ask that you mail back your original, non-working Kindle.) If you need more information about contacting Amazon's customer support, here's their main web page.

[URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display]http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html[/url]

But basically, we hear lots of stories from satisfied Kindle owners about Amazon's customer service, and how quick they are to offer a replacement Kindle, no questions asked. So yeah, that's your best option.
Repeating this, Contact Kindle Customer Service before you try anything else!

·
Super Moderator
67,702 Posts
happyme said:
I am not quite sure about Kindle. but this is how it works for electronic devices. Detach the battery ASAP. And, keep the cover open, place it on a piece of cloth and allow it to dry in the sun. That always helps me :)
I would NOT recommend opening the device -- it's not really designed to be able to do that easily and, while Amazon has been known to be very good about replacing for even accidents, they might not be quite so ready if YOU do damage after having done something like that intentionally.

I second the advice to contact Kindle Support and talk to them. Meanwhile, you can try the rice trick: place the kindle on a bed of rice in a sealed container and let it sit a couple of days.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My hubby recently drowned his K3- dropped it in a pool!  He grabbed it really quickly, but alas, it was fried!  He had it for about 10 months before this happened, so it was still under warranty.... KCS did NOT send a free replacement (nor did I expect them to), but they did offer a "service replacement" for $65 and free 2 day shipping.  I was quite happy with that solution- especially since there was not an actual device problem, just a clumsy husband problem.....  Oh- he left his FIRST kindle on an airplane.... sigh...  ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.