Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've had a look around the forum but I'm still scratching my head about getting my books sold in America. In the UK, my two technothrillers Déjà Vu and Flashback have been selling well. I have mostly five star reviews for both books. Overall, I've sold 2600 copies since March. In the US, by contrast, I've still got good reviews, but far fewer. I've only sold 320 books there (that's not a small figure, I guess, but it contrasts with the UK, which is a much smaller market).

I think my books benefitted in the UK from word of mouth and the size of the UK Kindle store (where smaller sales can make it easier to chart).

For the US, I've sent off my book to various book review sites, participated in ebook/writing forums like this one (though I could probably do more of that), and leaned (politely!) on one or two American friends to mention the books on their blogs.

Still not many sales. The profile of the line is pretty flat.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'd appreciate any advice! I don't want to give the impression I'm impatient to have a similar impact in the US as I've had in the UK (I've only been on the Kindle four months) but I'd be curious to know if there's something I'm missing. Do you think I need to get the paperbacks reviewed in mainstream publications, for instance?

With best wishes

Ian

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It takes time. Each market is different.

Have you put a "Meet your Author" topic on Amazon's Discussion Forum: Meet Our Authors? This is Amazon's sanctioned area for marketing. Participate in those discussion, particularly where your books' genres are featured.

Join other forums as well, such as Goodreads, LibraryThing, etc. I run a forum called the Independent Authors Forum, Home of Free Range Authors, which has been growing at a rapid pace.

You have to get your name out any way you can.

Do you have at least five substantive reviews? If so get yourself listed on Daily Cheap Reads of the Frugal eReader. Consider buying an ad on the KindleBoards or on KindleNationDaily.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Phillip - sensible advice.

I've participated in most of what you're covered there. I'm also on Goodreads etc. I submitted my books to Daily Cheap Reads a while back with more than five substantive reviews but didn't hear from them again. I should probably give that a go.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've certainly got a ways to before I beat Phillip, Jon. Thanks for commenting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts