Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are lots of new owners of kindle coming on the amazon discussion board (I think mostly due to the oprah show).  I am retired so am trying to spend alot of free time answering folks.  But I hope all you others will consider helping as well. We were all "newbies" at some time (although I don't like that term at all).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well if you post 42 more times you won't be :-X

It's true the "Oprah People" seem to need more help than your average Kindler and we should be nice to them (I subscribe fully to the More Kindles = More Available Books Theory) but they make it awful hard. If they can find the Kindle Forum...they should know what FAQ means. And that it applies to them.

Maybe they don't know...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Dog;  I hear you, but here's the thing: 
Some of them don't even try.  I Googled, I researched, I read the guide, I bought Leslie's and Stephen's guides.  I did the homework.

When someone asks the same exact question that is just two posts away it grates on one's nerves.  The User's Guide comes pre-loaded and some don't even look at it; then ask the forum the very first question that the guide answers. It's frustrating...because it is supposed to be a discussion forum not a Q&A forum. 

I answered tons of questions (not nearly as many as Leslie, Teninx, and quickfics...bless them) but I got sick of answering the same question over and over.  I even went through the trouble of starting a new post of the top 10 or so questions; read this before asking...asked anyways; every question I answered, was re-asked. 

The best ones:  I know people can't get it out of the U.S. but can I? 
I posted Best sellers $9.99 one poster text-screamed at me begging to differ:  New Releases are NOT 9.99!!...  (Hello, since when are new releases and best sellers the same thing?)

See my point dog?  I (we) just got fed up with the blatant stupidity; it's not even a lack of intelligence, that I would have compassion for and take the time:  it's the pure LAZINESS in many cases.

These are supposed to be people who love to read; at $359...they should at least want to.  Some people saw Oprah and jumped on the bandwagon without even knowing what it was all about.  She gushed about the Kindle; and then did a freaking cook the chicken segment. 

WE had to clean up her mess on the forum...had she had a Q & A session or audience questions segment, instead of a chicken thing, the forum wouldn't have been bombarded and Amazon wouldn't be so backed up.  I think Ms. O did a horrible job...she went on and on about the "runway" incident and barely touched on the important stuff.  Not to mention, the number of times she cut Jeff off while he was speaking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear you, but loving to read doesn't neatly translate to "getting" it.  For a lot of folks this kind of technology is not at all intuitive and in fact is counter intuitive.  The point to me is to help folks; yes, even "dense" folks (and how do we even decide that?).  Maybe I am a little too zen for most, but I want folks to learn and grow, and shutting down folks isn't growthful in my experiences.  I am not denying frustration or geez reactions, but I take a deep breath and move on to help folks.  Most folks aren't trolls or otherwise, they really want to learn; so there you go.  humans are amazing beings...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ScottBooks said:
Well if you post 42 more times you won't be :-X

well shoot Scottbooks, sounds like another 38 or so, I can move up the level of enlightenment!!! : ) dog...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, sounds simple, but this is what it is about:

A post from a new owner:
Just got my Kindle. I'm on the first page. It has the Kindle User's Guide, and I can't get it to go to it. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

after the obvious use the scroll wheel answer, this:

Oh thank you so much. I told my husband everyone was talking about transferring data and such, and here I was with a basic question. Thank you. Now I'm cookin!!!

Yes, could have read the manual, etc. but now she is into it.  that is good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dog said:
I hear you, but loving to read doesn't neatly translate to "getting" it. For a lot of folks this kind of technology is not at all intuitive and in fact is counter intuitive. The point to me is to help folks; yes, even "dense" folks (and how do we even decide that?). Maybe I am a little too zen for most, but I want folks to learn and grow, and shutting down folks isn't growthful in my experiences. I am not denying frustration or geez reactions, but I take a deep breath and move on to help folks. Most folks aren't trolls or otherwise, they really want to learn; so there you go. humans are amazing beings...
I agree. If you don't care for Oprah then fine but she herself admitted to not being a electronics person. I took it as her being very excited about this new product and yes she even admitted she was talking way more then Jeff. She is an avid reader and maybe she should have devoted more time to explaining the Kindle, perhaps write her a letter and ask her to go back and do so. while I don't always care for Oprah, she did turn me on to this new little amazing device and the more the merrier. Even the technologically impaired. If I didn't have all the computer knowledge I do I would have been totally lost about using the Kindle so if some people don't get it as quickly as others then lets try to help them out. Even the annoying ones, if they really want help and aren't just looking for trouble.

Now I am trying to figure out the best way to handle the kindle while reading without inadvertently turning the pages. So far this is my only concern. And finding a better lightweight cover.

Peace, love and good reading. :D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
dog,

I'm with you. I'm still scanning over there and answering questions. People answered questions for me way back when and I remember how appreciative I was. I'm still paying back the favor.

I've been adding this after my signature for the past week:

www.kboards.com <-- come join us!

I know it has made a difference. Others might want to think about doing this same thing. It's an easy way to let others know this forum exists.

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
happypuppy007 said:
Now I am trying to figure out the best way to handle the kindle while reading without inadvertently turning the pages. So far this is my only concern. And finding a better lightweight cover.

Peace, love and good reading. :D
I am trying to train myself to pick it up and hold it as shown in the picture in the forum header, in the space above the keyboard. I think it is a matter of making a habit.

Also, I am using the stock Kindle cover, and if it is folded behind Eleanor as it is now, I can pick it up from the left side touching only the cover.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I apologized on the forum...I told them I was one of the hot-heads.  I did tell them that the action on the forum tripled and we became inundated after the O-show.  I told them in not so many words that I put my claws away and I am back to my humble friendly self....I lied. (KIDDING).

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've noticed "dog" on the Amazon Kindle forum and have to give him kudos for being unfailingly polite and concise in his answers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Susan B.  I can't claim perfect niceness though!  Oh, and love the Groucho quote!!!  : )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts