Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a friend that loves to read.  I have showed her our Kindles and she was very impressed and would like to have one.

She has asked her husband many times to buy her a Kindle, but he says they cost too much.

They have plenty of money so maybe he is just tight and doesn't want her to have one?

They just got back from going on a cruse to Europe.  She said that she saw lot of people with Kindles and would have been nice to have had one to read on the plane and when they were standing in line for hours.

Does anyone have any ideas that I could pass on to her to get her husband to buy her a Kindle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Maybe she could buy one with her own money?  Or money she's saved from being frugal with the household petty cash fund?  Maybe someone could 'give' her a gift of a Kindle.  Or maybe she just needs to exchange the husband for a Kindlle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
The kindle pays for itself if you ask me. Most books are cheaper...you can get a ton of free books and cheap books!

And I have to agree with Suzie on the exchange!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Sam Rivers said:
She has asked her husband many times to buy her a Kindle, but he says they cost too much.
Does anyone have any ideas that I could pass on to her to get her husband to buy her a Kindle?
Why would a grown woman have to ask her husband to buy her something she wants?

Tell her to get a job and then she can buy whatever she wants.

That would be the day that I *asked* my husband if *I* could buy something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
I bought both of my Kindles myself.  Granted, it took me over 8 months to come up with the $359 selling price of my original Kindle plus the money for my first books.  But, if you want one badly enough, my suggestion is to find things you would normally buy that you can do without... and start saving the money.  It's the season of garage sales... clean out your closet/basement and put the proceeds from the garage sale toward a Kindle.  People have returned cans, mowed yards, babysat.... there are ways to earn extra money.  Or, ask family and friends to only give you Amazon gift cards for holidays and birthdays until you have enough to buy a Kindle.  Where there's a will, there's a way in most cases........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
JennSpot said:
Why would a grown woman have to ask her husband to buy her something she wants?

Tell her to get a job and then she can buy whatever she wants.

That would be the day that I *asked* my husband if *I* could buy something!
lol +1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
If he also has to get her permission to make purchases, then it's not so much problem. Frugality is one thing, but it has to be for both sides. Some families are cheapskates, and talk over every purchase.

I would take him to the bookstore, and get a stack of public domain classics. Pile it up until it exceeds the cost of the Kindle. Point out that all of these books could be legally downloaded for free. A good demonstration of the money-saving benefit of the Kindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
susie said:
Or maybe she just needs to exchange the husband for a Kindlle.
That might not be a bad idea. Sounds like a Kindle would be more giving, at least.

GrouchoKindle said:
Is this thread from the 1950's? ???
Looks like it. :p

QuantumIguana said:
I would take him to the bookstore, and get a stack of public domain classics. Pile it up until it exceeds the cost of the Kindle. Point out that all of these books could be legally downloaded for free. A good demonstration of the money-saving benefit of the Kindle.
That's a great idea!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
QuantumIguana said:
If he also has to get her permission to make purchases, then it's not so much problem. Frugality is one thing, but it has to be for both sides. Some families are cheapskates, and talk over every purchase.
True enough. We're all pretty quick to vilify this man; but perhaps there is a mutual agreement to discuss all purchases over X number of dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
dbeman said:
True enough. We're all pretty quick to vilify this man; but perhaps there is a mutual agreement to discuss all purchases over X number of dollars.
A discussion is not the same thing as having to ask your spouse if you're allowed to buy something and getting an outright refusal. Worse is that she's asked him several times and each time is refused. Sorry but that doesn't sound like a "discussion" to me, it sounds more like begging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
There is insufficient information to make any judgements. People are reading way to much into this. Does either party have veto power over purchases, or does only the husband have such power? Does the husband spend freely on himself, but not let her spend? Is she a compulsive spender who needs someone to set limits? We don't know. I suppose if people think it is really important, we could ask the OP rather than making assumptions.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,350 Posts
The OP was not asking for our impressions of the couple in question. Rather, he was asking for strategies one person could use to persuade another -- who, for whatever reason, is reluctant to spend the money -- that it might actually be a good idea.

I like the stacking the classics in the bookstore suggestion, myself. Definitely a good visual! One could also point out how sometimes not necessarily classics books are available free. And, how much is she spending now for reading material; encourage looking at the price in terms of what wouldn't be spent if she had one.

One might also point out that the least expensive Kindle is only $114 and you get discounts on other things. Check out the list of special offers -- there's a thread around here somewhere. Maybe some of those specials are something the other spouse would be interested in.

Also. . . . .with either one there's the internet access. Via open WiFi spots for the less expensive version but via 3G for the higher priced ones. Maybe a smart phone is deemed not needed, but the Kindle could function to provide access in a pinch for sending a quick email in an emergency. There were a couple of anecdotes here on KB about folks in the area of tornadoes or hurricanes who were able to use the Kindle to get messages to family outside the 'disaster' area to let them know they were o.k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but the Kindle also plays all the classic games -- like Poker, Monopoly, Backgammon, Chess, and Scrabble. And it also gives you free wireless internet access without having to pay a monthly subscription fee. (I heard about a couple who had a flat tire during a road trip -- and they used their Kindle to locate the nearest tire store!)

Plus, you can increase the font size of books on your Kindle. For me, this makes it possible to read any e-book without wearing my glasses, which is a real blessing. But yeah, I think most people just don't realize that public domain books are free on the Kindle. In the Crankshaft comic strip, they spent a whole week trying to convince the grumpy bus driver that he'd enjoy reading on a Kindle. They finally reached him when he realized that all the Tarzan books he'd wanted to read as a kid were available for free on the Kindle. (And the same thing is also true for many of Zane Grey's westerns, all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and at least one novel by Agatha Christie....!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
history_lover said:
A discussion is not the same thing as having to ask your spouse if you're allowed to buy something and getting an outright refusal. Worse is that she's asked him several times and each time is refused. Sorry but that doesn't sound like a "discussion" to me, it sounds more like begging.
I mostly agree, but I hate assuming things as we don't know what the situation is. What if he's the only one working and they don't have kids she's taking care of? What if he also never buys himself anything that's a luxury over $100 as they're trying to get out of debt?

On the surface it just sounds like the husband is being a jerk, I agree. But we don't know the particulars.

Personally, it's not the type of situation I'd ever get in one way or the other. I'm only interested in being with career driven women since I'm so career focused (my current long time partner--6 1/2 years and counting!---is a fellow professor whom I met while we were both in grad school) and we always keep separate banking accounts and both buy whatever we want after paying bills and maxing out our retirement accounts. :D

As for the OP's question, no there's nothing you can do. The last thing a friend should do is meddle in another friend's marriage. So don't do anything to try to change his mind. If you really want to do something, buy her a Kindle yourself if you can afford it. Or maybe get together with some of her other friends and family and get people to chip in towards one. It's only $114 for the cheapest one these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
mooshie78 said:
I mostly agree, but I hate assuming things as we don't know what the situation is. What if he's the only one working and they don't have kids she's taking care of? What if he also never buys himself anything that's a luxury over $100 as they're trying to get out of debt?
The OP said "they have plenty of money" and that they just got back from a cruise. It certainly doesn't sound like debt is a problem. And so what if he's the only one working? That means she's not allowed to have a small luxury like a Kindle? Even so, as others have pointed out, she could always go out and get a job and buy a Kindle with her own money. There's no reason she has to practically beg her husband for one like a child. Or worse, to rely on the charity of friends and other family members to give her one as a gift.

I'm sorry but I just can't bring myself to suggest "ways to convince him" because I don't think a woman should have to practically give an investment proposal to her husband in order to convince him to allow her to buy something like a Kindle. That may not be what the OP asked for but that's my feelings on the issue and I'm entitled to them.
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top