Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I'm doing the editing on Through Darkness and Stars, the followup to The Unearthing I thought I'd save time and start getting feedback on the cover concept now, get it butchered looked over by you guys, and present your suggested revisions to the artist helping me out with this one.

Below is a small version of the Darkness artwork (sans titles) and a link to the large size if you want to have a gander.

Here's the link to the larger one:

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss187/SteveKspace/000tdats001-1.jpg

And the "wallpaper" size:

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss187/SteveKspace/00darknesscov002-1.jpg

Thanks, and let the bloodshed commence!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
A huge step up in quality, Steve. Seriously.

And there's plenty of room on top and bottom for title and author.

Instantly my favorite of your three covers, by a mile.

Get the typography down on this one and you have a winner here.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Skyrunner.  I've booked time to work on this on the weekend, but working with the fonts used for The Unearthing I think that's how the title's going to be; across two lines.

I'll try cropping it closer from the layers I have at home.

Does one, looking at the cover, get the impression that she is being formed of the nebula?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Half-Orc said:
Definitely has potential, but remember, the titling is just as important as everything else, so spend time on it. Get it right.
This. ^^

Also, Steve, I wouldn't crop it much closer because you don't want to take away the room that is there for the title and author's name.

And for God's sake... make your name big enough to read on this one, bud! ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tilting...how?  Sorry, I'm dense.  Spock would probably say my thinking is two-dimensional.

The artwork is composed of 5 layers:

two different nebulae

The woman's cameo,

the Ship

A swatch of "nebula-ized" hair from the woman.

So, tilt what/who/why?

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, the general effect I was going for was to use the Ship to trick the eye away from the true subject of the work, the woman.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
SteveKarmazenuk said:
Tilting...how? Sorry, I'm dense. Spock would probably say my thinking is two-dimensional.

The artwork is composed of 5 layers:

two different nebulae

The woman's cameo,

the Ship

A swatch of "nebula-ized" hair from the woman.

So, tilt what/who/why?
Titling as in... Title-ing.

That's what Half-Orc means.

It's the same as what I mean when I say, "Get the typography right..."

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dyslexia strikes again...TITLING...

Yes, I'm working with the font family I used for Unearthing, as I'm trying to create some kind of "brand standard".

At what point is it safe to write in "volume one of..." and "volume two of..." respectively?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
SteveKarmazenuk said:
dyslexia strikes again...TITLING...

Yes, I'm working with the font family I used for Unearthing, as I'm trying to create some kind of "brand standard".

At what point is it safe to write in "volume one of..." and "volume two of..." respectively?
Volume sounds a bit academic.

I'd say "Book 2 of"

And Book 2 is a perfectly fine point at which to start numbering.

And as you know, my advice is to keep that on your title page and your book description/blurb, and not have it on the cover. Simplicity of design is always best with eBook covers. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.