Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend a small lightbulb illuminated the space between my ears for the briefest of moments. I realized that if I wanted to sell more novels, I needed to get more REVIEWS.

And how do I acquire said reviews, you ask? Well, I get busy on LibraryThing and GoodReads. I pay for some advertising here and there. I solicit (stalk) family and friends for reviews to post of Amazon. Hell, I don't even care if you didn't read the book, because I'm a realist. Not that I don't want honest, thoughtful reviews, but I'll take whatever I can get.

So I've put a fair amount of money and effort into getting these oh-so-important book reviews to lend my novels credibilty and lend my bank account..well...dollars.

Anyways, self-publishing geniuses, what am I forgetting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
Mark, I'd be interested in reviewing The Fourth Crusade for you - the middle ages is my favourite for historicals.

It may be a wee while until I get to it though, but I will post it on my Books & Tales Blog (over 1K reads a month now!), goodreads and amazon.

If you're interested, please pm me :)

Take care,
Annette
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
You could offer a review exchange. Send someone a copy of your book, they send you theirs, you both read and review. You both get to read a cool (free) book, and each of you get a neat review. :) Now, while this'll only work if you read at the speed of light, or have time to read at all, it'll at least get you one.

Barring that, maybe a giveaway? People like free stuff, especially if all they have to do is give you their opinion.

Have you stalked the review blogs? Those people eat up books in a day.

Also, if you have the capability, you could put your book on sale for free for a while, and include something in the back matter asking for reviews. Obviously, you shouldn't be all like "HEY. REVIEW DIS BITCH", but something like, "If you've made it this far, consider taking just a moment to blah blah blah on Amazon, blah blah, really helps, blah, doesn't have to be long, just a few words about what you thought, blah blah."

Those are my only ideas. :( Hit up friends and family some more. Poke and beg (maybe not =beg=) people on facebook and stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
If you find bloggers interested in reviewing your book, mention that you would be interested in doing a book giveaway to coincide their review. In the best cases, it's a win win. The blogger's site wins
because they have a giveaway. Usually they do a rafflecopter. Then you win because some people have taken an effort to win your book. It doesn't mean they will review it, but you can always ask them
to consider a review when you send them the book. Awhile back, I gifted ebooks to the winners through Amazon. Lately, I think I'm just going to send them a mobi or epub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Annette_g said:
Mark, I'd be interested in reviewing The Fourth Crusade for you - the middle ages is my favourite for historicals.

It may be a wee while until I get to it though, but I will post it on my Books & Tales Blog (over 1K reads a month now!), goodreads and amazon.

If you're interested, please pm me :)

Take care,
Annette
I pm'ed you, thanks for the love! If you don't get the message, please let me know, I'm still kinda new at some of these Kindle Boards procedures and etiquette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I've invested a fair amount of time and effort in seeking reviews from book bloggers. I find a lot will not review SP'd books and I have some sympathy with them: there are just so many new books, the whole review request thing is getting seriously out of hand. Even getting one 5* review doesn't seem to encourage other reviewers that much.
I guess we just keep on going...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,162 Posts
markobeezy said:
I solicit (stalk) family and friends for reviews to post of Amazon. Hell, I don't even care if you didn't read the book, because I'm a realist. Not that I don't want honest, thoughtful reviews, but I'll take whatever I can get.
And here is potentially where you'll shoot yourself in the foot. There's a world of difference between an honest review and one where someone hasn't read the book or a family member who gives an overly gushing review because you're her favorite nephew.

People are leery enough of reviews as it is these days. Padding them out just because you feel you need more will most likely look exactly like that: padding and/or trying to game the system. You need to think in the long term and not risk your reputation for something which may not even help you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,911 Posts
You're right: you need reviews!  I approached individual reviewers on Goodreads directly, explained that I really liked their in-depth reviews, and would appreciate their honest opinion of my book.  I offered them a free copy in their choice of format if they'd take the time to read it and share their opinion with the world.

It worked out great for me.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
ElHawk said:
You're right: you need reviews! I approached individual reviewers on Goodreads directly, explained that I really liked their in-depth reviews, and would appreciate their honest opinion of my book. I offered them a free copy in their choice of format if they'd take the time to read it and share their opinion with the world.

It worked out great for me.
How many reviews did you manage to get this way? Out of how many queries? I just ask because i haven't found much success with Goodreads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
ElHawk said:
You're right: you need reviews! I approached individual reviewers on Goodreads directly, explained that I really liked their in-depth reviews, and would appreciate their honest opinion of my book. I offered them a free copy in their choice of format if they'd take the time to read it and share their opinion with the world.

It worked out great for me.
Is this okay to do on Goodreads? I'd always been led to believe it was frowned upon for authors to contact readers directly. Did you get any snarky responses or were people generally okay about it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
Yeah, reviews are nice but sometimes you just gotta say "ouch"
I've had a two or three now where reviewers announce that they have not finished the book and then complain that the story is lacking parts that appear later in the story!
Today's genius complained that (having read 15%) there are only two people on the space ship. Did he think the entire story takes place there? This ain't Dinner with Andre.

Sometimes I really think I'd be happier with no reviews at all...

/rant

 
G

·
Rick Gualtieri said:
And here is potentially where you'll shoot yourself in the foot. There's a world of difference between an honest review and one where someone hasn't read the book or a family member who gives an overly gushing review because you're her favorite nephew.
I am assuming that either

A. The OP's post is tongue and cheek just to let off some steam regarding getting reviews.

or

B. He no longer gives a rat's backside and is one step away from creating a dozen sock puppet accounts to just write the reviews himself.

Either way, discussions of logic, reason, or ethics seem not to apply to this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
nkt said:
How many reviews did you manage to get this way? Out of how many queries? I just ask because i haven't found much success with Goodreads.
Ive found Goodreads to be quite useful - there's a good mix of readers and writers in all the various groups - a bit like here, but with the added advantage of being able to post reading lists and reviews. You don't need to ask anyone directly, just find a review group to join and someone in it will probaly be interested in your book.

Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
I like Goodreads as well. I've seen some very smart and useful comments/info/reviews etc there. I suck at the quizzes.

I'm not sure what's going on there currently, though. My numbers for reviews and rankings keep going up and down but when I look, I just see the same reviews and ratings that were there the day before. Some day I'll figure that place out :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rick Gualtieri said:
And here is potentially where you'll shoot yourself in the foot. There's a world of difference between an honest review and one where someone hasn't read the book or a family member who gives an overly gushing review because you're her favorite nephew.
This totally reminded me of this Iraqi policeman accidentally shooting himself in the foot in Albu Hyatt, circa August 2007.

Anyways...Yea, there's a risk that family/friends will post an overly unctuous review and hurt my credibility, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Thanks for the fog-signal though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Is it against Amazon policy for authors to trade reviews?

I have tried to do some reviews (not trading) for other indies but find that there is at least one major problem, usually editing, and I can't give 4 or 5 stars, so I don't leave a review at all. If you can't say something nice......

For this reason I have nearly given up trying to review books.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
markobeezy said:
Anyways...Yea, there's a risk that family/friends will post an overly unctuous review and hurt my credibility, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Thanks for the fog-signal though!
Oh wow, you weren't being tongue-in-cheek, were you? You do realize this is an open message board and while the Cafe is mostly frequented by writers, there's an entire huge rest of the board that's almost entirely purely READERS, and that they do sometimes check out posts in the Writers' Cafe, and that they really, really look unfavorably at such tactics? You just flat out alerted the world that you plan to ask friends and family to write fake reviews for you. It isn't a risk that your credibility will be hurt. It's a given.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
I am assuming that either

A. The OP's post is tongue and cheek just to let off some steam regarding getting reviews.

or

B. He no longer gives a rat's backside and is one step away from creating a dozen sock puppet accounts to just write the reviews himself.

Either way, discussions of logic, reason, or ethics seem not to apply to this thread.
If I recall correctly, Julie, it's B - only actually one step after (unsuccessfully) creating a (half-) dozen sock puppets to write reviews himself.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested paying strangers for reviews. Hey, it worked for KB's own Mainak Dhar...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top