Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I heard people talking about the awesome editorial benefits of text to speech ... but it seems my Kindle Fire does not have that as an option. I Googled it and there are some very techy sounding solutions that made my eyes roll up into my head and I woke up in a pool of drool.

I tried using the text-to-speech function in Adobe reading a PDF version but that is absolutely incomprehensible 40% of the time, making it useless.

Are the old Kindle's any better at it than the Adobe thing? Do you guys all have Dragon software (I think that's the speak to text program), or ... well, just what? How? Etc.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The old kindle sounds just like ReadPlease. Once I got used to it, it didn't bother me. As someone who is dyslexic, it's invaluable to me. I can't believe how much it catches. It helps me stop awkward or too long sentences or sentences that might read funny to someone who doesn't live in my head since it's a little stilted.

But, it does do weird stuff. I was letting my kindle read to me while I drove a long distance the other day and the heroine's name was Minerva. The hero called her Min.

Every time "Min" was at the end of a sentence, he called her "minimum" because of the period. LOL

ETA: Here's the download to the computer I use: http://www.readplease.com/ Like I said, a bit stilted, but you can control the speed and you get used to it. The stilted does help for the "not in my head" bits :)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:
The old kindle sounds just like ReadPlease. Once I got used to it, it didn't bother me. As someone who is dyslexic, it's invaluable to me. I can't believe how much it catches. It helps me stop awkward or too long sentences or sentences that might read funny to someone who doesn't live in my head since it's a little stilted.

But, it does do weird stuff. I was letting my kindle read to me while I drove a long distance the other day and the heroine's name was Minerva. The hero called her Min.

Every time "Min" was at the end of a sentence, he called her "minimum" because of the period. LOL
Hahaha! That's pretty funny.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I use Microsoft reader. Free download: http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/pc.aspx

It only works on PCs, though. I don't know what an Apple equivalent might be.

You have to take your manuscript and run it through Calibre to get it into .lit format, but then you can open it with Microsoft Reader, and it has an option to read it aloud. The voice is, you know, a computer voice. It's drone-y, but it's definitely understandable. (And sometimes, if I end a sentence with "is," it says island, because of the period. It also gets confused with homonyms like wind or bow. It can sound really silly sometimes.)

Dragon takes what you say and turns it into text. It's voice recognition software. I don't think it will read to you.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
John Daulton said:
Are the old Kindle's any better at it than the Adobe thing?
My Kindle Keyboard works fairly well, but does get confused on some unusual words. I seem to remember it made some hilarious mistakes reading one of Fred Reed's books but I don't remember exactly what they were.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
DDark said:
I use Natural Reader
I also use Natural Reader. I find it works very well and is very helpful in catching things I miss otherwise.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I use Natural Reader set on a really fast speed and I follow along in my Scrivener with the text.  It has significantly improved my self-editing, which I do before sending to my editor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't use text-to-speech for editing, maybe I should. I use it to read me to sleep. The voice is so dull it only takes minutes... :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Cool. I'm checking out this Natural Reader thing. My crazy convert to .lit format thing is kind of a pain. This seems much better.

Kindleboards is awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts