Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

In according to the custom, I am introducing myself to everyone here.  My name is Tris, 27 (soon 28, yea), and from WA.  I just got my wonderful Kindle a few weeks ago, and immediately got to test it out during a trip to Denver, CO.  Absolutely loved it, and call it my 'Magic Book'.  I wanted to call it something else (does anyone remember if 'Penny' from 'Inspector Gadget' ever had a name for her computer book...'cause that's what I wanted to call it)...but couldn't remember the name.  My uncles and aunts (who looked at it with me while I was Kindling on the kitchen table in Denver) told me to just call it the 'contraption'.

Well, I got my Kindle from my brother who asked me if I would like one during sunday brunch.  I laughed and said 'yeah' but I don't have the money as I was then unemployed.  My brother checked his email on his cell phone (a Samsung phone which is like a Blackberry), and I ate the rest of my omlette.  Then he spoke again saying "well I just got you one...an early birthday present."  I was in shock and had him repeat himself.  This was the end of September, my birthday isn't until the end of November.  A bit early isn't it...ha!  Thankfully it arrived the day or so before my family flew down to Denver in early October and it was awesome.  Being a person who had to have at least 2 books with her at all times (I carried at least 5 when I kid...which deeply concerned my parents), I always carried a backpack filled and weighed down with books...or 2-3 +800 paged omnibuses.  So imagine my suprise when I popped in iPod, notebooks, pens, light jacket/hoodie, and Kindle...and looked around me.  No more books as my Kindle took care of that...huh.  My backpack (my carry-on) was super light and practically empty and it kinda wierded me out!

The Kindle was perfect.  It was a bit wierd when the TSA scanned and then immediately rescanned my bag as I didn't think it would be a big deal if I kept my Kindle in there.  But there they were, two large TSA men, pointing at the monitor and whispering to each other.  Then when I was sitting down in my seat on the plane, ready for take-off the flight attendant told me to turn it off.  I explained that the wifi was off, but I was told to turn the whole thing off and stood there waiting...it was a first for me as my family is no stranger to flying and no one cared as my entire family kept our iPods on the whole trip from sitting down to landing.  Oh well...

Now like a lot of people my Kindle is with me ALL the time, just like my iPod.  I guess books are my security blanket.:p

Tris ;D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Tris.

I would like to thank you, deeply and sincerely, for my soon to be bench-enforced incarceration at Happy Acres.

<Doo-de-loo-de-loo, Inspector Gadget. Doo-de-loo-de-loo de-doooo! Go, Gadget, gooo!> (Please, make it stop!)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks quickfics and Linda Cannon-Mott!  I don't know about anyone else, but since I cannot tell the pages from the progress bar or the amount of pages left.  I find myself completely immersed into a book without having to shift the weight and divert my eyes to each page.  I just start a book, and keep going only to find out that I finished it by the end of the day or the next day.  Huh...oops. 

I haven't had an issue with buttons being pushed easily but I think the key is having small hands.:)  I have small  child-like hands (comes from my dad's side of the family) with stub like fingers (to match my small fat feet).  People laugh and call me a 'hobbit'.  I keep the Kindle in it's cover which never fell out until I flipped it upside down and the Kindle fell with a loud smack on my face.  The cover has yet to fall out (no velcro added) again though, but it makes it incredibly hard to type on the QWERTY board.

Anyone else with this issue?

Tris

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Welcome to the klub! Well aren't you the lucky one... what a great brother!

Happy Kindling,
Linda
Ha, yes Linda...having an older brother is great. It was a lot of hitting, scheaming, yelling, and terrorizing each other as kids. But he does manage to suprise me a lot. Or perhaps to get back at absolutly forgetting my birthday last year...or for all those years as a young kid getting duped into paying for his latest must-have video game console with my savings account...hmmm...just joking he's cool. :D

Tris

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Wow...welcome.
Such a good brother.  Where do I apply?...I have a twin brother and the only thing he'd get me close to that, would be kindling wood for my fireplace; and he wouldn't buy it-- he'd go in the woods across the way and find it.  Then he'd come into my house use it for himself...build a nice fire in my hearth and ask that I cook him a great meal.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sjc said:
Wow...welcome.
Such a good brother. Where do I apply?...I have a twin brother and the only thing he'd get me close to that, would be kindling wood for my fireplace; and he wouldn't buy it-- he'd go in the woods across the way and find it. Then he'd come into my house use it for himself...build a nice fire in my hearth and ask that I cook him a great meal.
Ha-ha! Sjc that is too funny. Though I guess it helps that my brother and I are complete opposites, and the only thing he really remembers is me and my books. I mean bookstore giftcards for every birthday, X-mas, and other special occassions...I love books but that's all he remembers. :D This year he had just came back from a trip to LA where he met a long-time family friend who owned a Kindle and he got to toy around with it. So in away it's was starring at him right in the face. :D

Tris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts