Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I've been reading these boards for a few months.  Finally decided to make an account and jump in.  Add me to the list of newbies trying to pen their first ebook.  I've actually wanted to write a book for MANY years, and I actually have been researching the traditional route when I discovered how "easy" (yes, I've been reading and realize it's not at all), the self publishing route is.  

As someone who's been a child's portrait photographer for 7 years, I understand the annoyance of everyone jumping on the bandwagon to do what you feel is a "craft" and "art" or something you even went to school for.  I mean buy an dSLR and hang your shingle ;)

I'm a mom of 2 little ones, who are both very active everyday after school (with soccer, dance, and hockey).  I have a FT job, plus the side photography gig, and I'm trying to find time to write!  God help me!  I'm hoping to really put an effort in and maybe by the end of the year I'll have something to hit publish on.  

Until then....hello :)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
This is the best place on the internet to learn all about Indie publishing. I am amazed daily by the new stuff I learn.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Hi Abby,

Welcome to the boards!  :)

·
Administrator
10,097 Posts
Welcome, Abby. :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome!  Glad you jumped onboard.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Welcome!  Forget everything you've ever known about balance.  Just do what absolutely has to be done every day, then throw in a bit of what you want to do.  After that, or better, before that, write!  Soon the writing also fills the "want to do" spot and before long edges "have to do."  Give those little ones lots of love.  They stay little for such a short time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What C.E said. This place is an education - daily.

Keep on typing. I'm a Dad and it was my son that bullied me into publishing a mss I've had sitting and hidden. I never looked back, I made every newbie mistake ever listed, learned from my mistakes, and studied Kindle forums like this one.

It continues to be a rollercoaster ride and a fret over each day sales sag but the stimulation to my WIP and general work ethic drawn from the inspiration found here is wonderful.

Great discussion thread! Glad you did it. And, congratulations on your bravery.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Hi Abby!  Welcome to the Writer's Cafe.  I'm a mom too (of 4, though 2 are grown and gone) and every day can be a balancing act of the zillion things on the to-do list. Glad to hear that you're writing through it all!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Welcome, Abby!

Life gets busy no matter what. Just set your goals and keep working toward them knowing that sometimes life will get the better of you. Good luck!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey! Welcome.

Life gets very full very quickly, especially when you have a target writing goal. Make a plan and stick with it. I've written some helpful tips for new authors if you are interested. THese are the first things that jumped out at me throughout this whole process, and maybe it will help you get some foundation and direction.

http://jerryhanel.com/2011/08/04/ten-tips-for-new-authors-1/

Good luck, and I wish you the best.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hi! Another newbie, eh? Great, just what we need. Hope you brought your own sheets and pillows, because we're out. You get the little dank room in the back with the light bulb dangling from the cord. No window. Sorry.

·
Registered
161 Posts
AbbyDavis said:
Hi All-

I've been reading these boards for a few months. Finally decided to make an account and jump in. Add me to the list of newbies trying to pen their first ebook. I've actually wanted to write a book for MANY years, and I actually have been researching the traditional route when I discovered how "easy" (yes, I've been reading and realize it's not at all), the self publishing route is.

As someone who's been a child's portrait photographer for 7 years, I understand the annoyance of everyone jumping on the bandwagon to do what you feel is a "craft" and "art" or something you even went to school for. I mean buy an dSLR and hang your shingle ;)

I'm a mom of 2 little ones, who are both very active everyday after school (with soccer, dance, and hockey). I have a FT job, plus the side photography gig, and I'm trying to find time to write! God help me! I'm hoping to really put an effort in and maybe by the end of the year I'll have something to hit publish on.

Until then....hello :)
Good luck with your book! :)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Welcome, Abby!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts